The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Call me crazy, but just a thought: rule change (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93977-call-me-crazy-but-just-thought-rule-change.html)

buckrog64 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13am

Call me crazy, but just a thought: rule change

Eliminate all jump balls for middle school girls basketball.

Most times I'm afraid to go near the pile, well not really but I do wish they offered more pay for those moments :cool:

bainsey Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14am

They already did that with the arrow (opening tip-off notwithstanding). What more do you want?

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 878418)
Eliminate all jump balls for middle school girls basketball.

Most times I'm afraid to go near the pile, well not really but I do wish they offered more pay for those moments :cool:

I assume you must mean "held" balls. But if you eliminate that rule, are you just going to let play continue until one girl finally rips the ball away from everyone else? What's your alternative?

buckrog64 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46am

Yes, 'held balls' would be a better way of phrasing it. Of course I'm not serious. Players would get injured and parents would be screaming and it would be mayhem. Just said it was an idea, didn't say it was a good one.

Adam Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 878422)
I assume you must mean "held" balls. But if you eliminate that rule, are you just going to let play continue until one girl finally rips the ball away from everyone else? What's your alternative?

Darwinism.

rockyroad Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 878439)
Darwinism.

I like it!

Kind of a meshing of basketball and rugby...this could be fun.

ballgame99 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 878439)
Darwinism.

That's right!! Play through it ladies!! This is Thunderdome!

Camron Rust Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 878437)
Yes, 'held balls' would be a better way of phrasing it. Of course I'm not serious. Players would get injured and parents would be screaming and it would be mayhem. Just said it was an idea, didn't say it was a good one.

Just call a foul instead. On a lot of held balls, a foul is actually an option.

bainsey Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 878484)
Just call a foul instead. On a lot of held balls, a foul is actually an option.

Assuming there's contact.

The ones I enjoy is where a defender will grab the ball with such quick force that it pulls the ball-handler to the ground. Off goes the new ball-handler, and both the player and her contigent are demanding a foul, which is hard to call without contact.

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 11, 2013 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 878451)
That's right!! Play through it ladies!! This is Thunderdome!

We'd need a new mechanic. Hold your arms straight out in front of you then move them in a "scratching" motion. This would be the new mechanic for a "CHIC FIGHT"! :eek: