The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Six minute stall from out of nowhere (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93969-six-minute-stall-out-nowhere.html)

BballRookie Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:13pm

Six minute stall from out of nowhere

Recently I was doing a boys Sophomore game. H is up 25 to 20, so it's no blowout. V has been hunkering down in a zone.

(no shot clock in our state) H starts the 3rd quarter by giving the ball to their point guard who stands at half court all alone dribbling away. V goes back to their 2-3 and just stands. All 10 players are standing still while one just happens to be a good 20 feet from the others dribbling by himself. Both coaches start to ignore each other and gives their players winks and other little signs of encouragement.

As I sat there through 30 seconds, 1 minute, coaches not breaking, 2 minutes, coaches do nothing... then the fans started to get into it. Small school rivalry. Both sides are calling out the opposing coach for either the stall or not breaking the zone to play man.

Finally the V coach calls a player over to the bench. While he is there the H team runs a play, hits a jump shot. No more stall the rest of the game. H wins by 12.

Funniest moment of the whole thing: the point guard gets bored around the 4 minute mark and dribbles through his legs to break things up. The crowd(on both sides) ERUPTED! You would have thought he hit a game winning three. One dribble through his legs was the most exciting thing that had happened all quarter up to that point.

JRutledge Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:17pm

Take the paycheck and go home.

Peace

stiffler3492 Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 878289)
Take the paycheck and go home.

Peace

And be thankful for the quick quarter!

APG Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:44pm

As an official: Easy quarter though personally I wouldn't be happy "working" that.

As a paying fan: I'd be pissed

JRutledge Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 878297)
As an official: Easy quarter though personally I wouldn't be happy "working" that.

It would depend on where I am in the season honestly. It would not be the preferred game to work, but sometimes it is good to have an uneventful game.

Peace

Jay R Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:09pm

Thankfully I work FIBA games where the 24 second clock rules, even at the high school level.

BillyMac Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:10pm

Play Ball ...

Back in the olden days, the officials would have instructed the defense, because they were behind, to "Play ball". They would then have to move into position so that an official would have to start a five second closely guarded count. If they didn't comply, I believe that a a technical foul would be charged to the team. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to confirm, or deny, this.

Adam Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:12pm

Wouldn't bother me at all. I couldn't care less, to be honest. This happens so rarely....

JugglingReferee Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 878302)
Thankfully I work FIBA games where the 24 second clock rules, even at the high school level.

Agreed!

SNIPERBBB Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 878303)
Back in the olden days, the officials would have instructed the defense, because they were behind, to "Play ball". They would then have to move into position so that an official would have to start a five second closely guarded count. If they didn't comply, I believe that a a technical foul would be charged to the team. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to confirm, or deny, this.

Wouldnt that be something close to what the NBA Defensive 3-second rule is?

Tim C Sun Feb 10, 2013 08:06pm

Lack of sufficient action

Quote:

"in the olden days, the officials would have instructed the defense, because they were behind, to "Play ball". They would then have to move into position so that an official would have to start a five second closely guarded count. If they didn't comply, I believe that a a technical foul would be charged to the team. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to confirm, or deny, this. "
I am not Mark but I do have a lot of experience with old style delay games.

We had a hash mark at 28' from the basket. As long as the offense penetrated that line no counts could begin for "lack of sufficient action."

Therefore the "Four-corner offense" could have one player inside the line and one near half court and all they had to do was pass the ball back-and-forth to keep the officials from starting any counts.

The offense could then run time off the clock for what ever reason.

Very effective offense for the time.

T

APG Sun Feb 10, 2013 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 878308)
Wouldnt that be something close to what the NBA Defensive 3-second rule is?

Only in the sense that a player has actively guard an opponent (within arm's length and actually playing the man) when within the key...but then again, they can also terminate the count if they exit the key or get a deflection on the ball.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 11, 2013 08:47am

When this happens, the coaches should get together and decide how long the stall is going to last. Then, shorten the quarter to account for that and resume play.

Raymond Mon Feb 11, 2013 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 878303)

You don't trust your own memory?

Raymond Mon Feb 11, 2013 08:56am

Only thing I worry about in these situations is if I can remember if the ball-handler already used his dribble.