The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Missouri v Ole Miss T question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93954-missouri-v-ole-miss-t-question.html)

ballgame99 Sat Feb 09, 2013 09:23pm

Missouri v Ole Miss T question

Early in the game Bowers got a T for hanging on the rim on a dunk, then in the second half he got a T for pushing a dude in a scrum that resulted in an Ole Miss ejection. But he didn't get ejected. I don't think they counted the rim-hang T against his personal fouls either. Is this an NCAA thing?

There was also a play where he grabbed the rim after an attempt, they called BI and counted the bucket even though the ball had already bounced off the backboard and was no where near the cylinder. Shouldn't that be a T?

APG Sat Feb 09, 2013 09:57pm

Hanging on the rim is considered a Class B technical foul under NCAA-M rules and doesn't count toward the 2 for ejection.

If the official decides the player is hanging on the rim for protection, then it's not a T...perhaps if you get the time of the play, I can find it and put it up.

ballgame99 Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:36pm

The scrum was at 7:30 of the second half, can't find when the class B T was, it was around half way through the first. Nice follow dunk, he kicked is knees up a little bit. There was no one near him, which I'm sure lead to the T. I didn't think it was significant enough to give a T over.

BktBallRef Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:01am

6 technical fouls in that game.

johnny d Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 878114)
Hanging on the rim is considered a Class B technical foul under NCAA-M rules and doesn't count toward the 2 for ejection.

If the official decides the player is hanging on the rim for protection, then it's not a T...perhaps if you get the time of the play, I can find it and put it up.

Class B technicals do count towards ejection. However you need 3 of them before your are ejected, or 2 class B and 1 class A. Class B does not count towards 5 fouls for disqualification or towards team foul total.

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 11, 2013 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 878119)
The scrum was at 7:30 of the second half, can't find when the class B T was, it was around half way through the first. Nice follow dunk, he kicked is knees up a little bit. There was no one near him, which I'm sure lead to the T. I didn't think it was significant enough to give a T over.

OK, fan boy. ;)

ballgame99 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 878397)
OK, fan boy. ;)

Guilty as charged. Here is the clip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xGwPd7DpaAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18pm

I can see a T being called here.

Rich Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 878449)

Yup. No need for the pull-up.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878452)
Yup. No need for the pull-up.

Definitely needs to be addressed. If there had been any "warning" (and I don't menat that in any formal sense) before, then get the T. A T isn't wrong even if there hadn't been a "warning", but I could also see addressing it differently.

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 878454)
Definitely needs to be addressed. If there had been any "warning" (and I don't menat that in any formal sense) before, then get the T. A T isn't wrong even if there hadn't been a "warning", but I could also see addressing it differently.

Same here. There really wasn't anything "showy" or otherwise on that play. Good for Bowers. He's had a tough go the last 18 months. I'm sure he is excited to be helping his team any way he can this year.

MD Longhorn Mon Feb 11, 2013 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 878449)

Definitely.