The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How many times do you see 1 team? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93935-how-many-times-do-you-see-1-team.html)

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03pm

How many times do you see 1 team?

Some officials here seem to be members of large boards. They cover large areas and/or a lot of schools. How many times do each of you see 1 school/team?

We cover 13 HS, so 26 teams with boys and girls and 52 if you count the JV level.

There are 52 of us in this board. About half of us referee at the Varsity level. I see some teams 3 to 4 times during the season.

ALL the coaches know ALL of us very well.

Adam Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28pm

We cover about 40 schools. I'll see over a third of them once, a few of them twice, one of them three times, and just under half not at all.

Pantherdreams Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42pm

OUr zone is very small we've only got about 11-12 officials to cover all levels from Elementary up to Varsity. We've got 5 schools, 6 middle schools and 10 elementary schools.

So we can be busy.

For the group of us who do varsity games we might see a particular high school 6-10 times per year.

johnny d Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:48pm

We dont have this problem in Chicago area. Each conference has an assignor, and one can work for as many or as few assignors as they want or can get games from. Also, we have 100s of HS in close area so there are plenty of different places to go. I work about 30 miles from my house. During my daily commute, I probably go within 15 minutes of 50 HS. That said, because I can have a school on the road at many different sites, I might have them in Christmas or Thanksgiving Tournaments, or the assignor might send me there more than once a season, it is possible for me to have the same school 3-4 times in a season.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:48pm

We have about 320 working officials and serve about 75 schools, most of which have 3 levels of teams (V, JV, Freshman) for both boy's and girls. About 200 officials have at least 1 varsity game....with about 150 that get at least 10, about 90 that get 20 or more.

I have 29 so far this year. So, if I had no team twice, I'd see only 58 varsity coaches out of about 150 coaches in a given year. However, I do see some teams 2-3 times so I probably see more like 40 coaches. There are a number of coaches I've never seen....or see only every few years.

zm1283 Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:02pm

I just did a quick count, but our association has at least 61 schools but I probably missed a few. I think we have around 250 or so officials.

I won't see most teams more than twice, but I have seen one boys team four times and was supposed to have them a fifth time this week until I got switched to a different game the night before.

JRutledge Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 877895)
We dont have this problem in Chicago area. Each conference has an assignor, and one can work for as many or as few assignors as they want or can get games from. Also, we have 100s of HS in close area so there are plenty of different places to go. I work about 30 miles from my house. During my daily commute, I probably go within 15 minutes of 50 HS. That said, because I can have a school on the road at many different sites, I might have them in Christmas or Thanksgiving Tournaments, or the assignor might send me there more than once a season, it is possible for me to have the same school 3-4 times in a season.

You said best.

I might only have a team twice a season and that is if I have a team in a tournament or shootout. I will only see a two teams twice this year because of conference the assignors put me at the schools twice and that can happen when teams are good and the assignor wants to put certain officials on a certain level of game (rivalry or schools that have problems when playing each other). Rather rare that happens, but it does happen. That being said, even when the post season starts, I will likely see teams I have not seen all season at least at the regional level.

Peace

WDEvol Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:20pm

Our association covers six high schools and their respective feeder middle schools. Most of the middle schools play at the same gym as their high schools.

I went to one school five times this year, another one three times, and I had two others twice each.

egj13 Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:23pm

We have around 20 schools and 65 officials. For me to see a team 4-5 times in a season isn't unheard of. We also cover about a 200 mile north to south area so I might have one school at home twice then on the road twice.

JerryLundagard Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:33pm

There are upwards of 75 high schools in the metro area. Three assignors handle most of these schools. It is not uncommon because of multiple assignors, tournaments, shoot outs and non conference games to see teams multiple times.

I will see at least 20 teams two times and two teams three times.

One assignor cares and will make an effort to avoid an official seeing the same team too many times. The other two don’t seem to care.

Personally I don’t like to see a team more than twice. Three is okay if they are spread out far enough apart. Anymore than that doesn’t seem to be good for anyone.

Adam Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:38pm

I had a team in three consecutive games once.

First game, they stole the tip and we missed it.
Second game, I got it.
Third game ended in a fight.

Scratch85 Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:54pm

On the girls side, I saw two different teams three times. On the boys side, I have one team that I have seen twice. I will likely get a team for the second time in post season.

I live in a rural area. The schools are far apart and it requires considerable miles to avoid seeing a team multiple times.

Scuba_ref Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:31pm

We have 10 High Schools (so 19 teams one small school doesn't have a girls team) and just over 20 officials that do varsity.

I have seen 3 teams 4 times each; 2 teams 3 times each and 6 teams twice each. So, I will have seen 11 out of 19 more than once not counting post season.

grunewar Fri Feb 08, 2013 03:46pm

We have about 300 working officials and serve more than 50 public and private schools, most of which have 3 levels of teams (V, JV, Freshman) for both boy's and girls.

I usually see a few teams twice a yr (one is tonight - last game of the scholastic season). :(

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 08, 2013 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 877899)
I just did a quick count, but our association has at least 61 schools but I probably missed a few. I think we have around 250 or so officials.

I won't see most teams more than twice, but I have seen one boys team four times and was supposed to have them a fifth time this week until I got switched to a different game the night before.

Do you have meetings to attend? How many show up? We have 12 meetings a year, must attend 4. We get about 30 to a meeting...