The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   In the act of shooting? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93913-act-shooting.html)

The R Wed Feb 06, 2013 01:03pm

In the act of shooting?

A1 rebounds the ball and begins the habitual motion to shoot. B1 grabs A1's arm. You have a whistle at this point for a foul. A1 gives up on that attempt then makes a legal step through move to the basket and makes a bank shot.

How do you handle this play?

Note: You deem A1 to be in the act of shooting before his arm is grabbed. The step through move was a separate act of shooting.

tomegun Wed Feb 06, 2013 01:06pm

I think you can answer your question. The step through isn't continuous motion, it is another move after the whistle. If anything, you can tell A1 to stop on the whistle?

maven Wed Feb 06, 2013 01:20pm

It's still a shooting foul if the contact prevents release of the try. I agree with Tom that the second move is an independent try (with a dead ball).

Adam Wed Feb 06, 2013 01:20pm

It would have to be pretty clear to me that initial try was aborted before I'd wave off the shot and give two free throws.

maven Wed Feb 06, 2013 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 877470)
It would have to be pretty clear to me that initial try was aborted before I'd wave off the shot and give two free throws.

Fair enough. I was taking that part for granted/not challenging the OP's judgment of that particular question.

I agree that, if in doubt, it was continuous motion.

Adam Wed Feb 06, 2013 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 877475)
Fair enough. I was taking that part for granted/not challenging the OP's judgment of that particular question.

I agree that, if in doubt, it was continuous motion.

Agreed, and I wasn't intending to challenge his judgment on this particular play. The rule is clear, but then again, so is the rule for multiple fouls.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 06, 2013 02:41pm

According to the philosophies of many on here as expressed in another recent thread, that would not be a shooting foul at all since he didn't continue to shoot after the foul but made another move prior to actually shooting. :eek:

I don't agree with them, however. :D

Adam Wed Feb 06, 2013 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 877501)
According to the philosophies of many on here as expressed in another recent thread, that would not be a shooting foul at all since he didn't continue to shoot after the foul but made another move prior to actually shooting. :eek:

I can't help but chuckle. :D

VaTerp Wed Feb 06, 2013 02:51pm

Quote:

Tongue in cheek I know but that's a misrepresentation of what those of us on that side of the argument are saying.

Easy answer to the OP is two shots.

Raymond Wed Feb 06, 2013 03:00pm

Quote:

Only if he had stepped through and passed the ball :D

Camron Rust Wed Feb 06, 2013 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 877504)
Tongue in cheek I know but that's a misrepresentation of what those of us on that side of the argument are saying.

Easy answer to the OP is two shots.

Only somewhat. I'm just exposing the inconsistency in that philosophy. It is merely that some just don't want to make rules-based decisions and would rather take the easy road based on what the fans/coaches expect instead of the right road.

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 06, 2013 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 877512)
Only somewhat. I'm just exposing the inconsistency in that philosophy. It is merely that too many just don't want to made decisions and would rather take the easy road instead of the right road.

I think that in some of the cases, it's not the easy road they are trying to take, but rather retroactively justify whatever they said first so they can never be wrong --- rules be damned.

VaTerp Wed Feb 06, 2013 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 877512)
Only somewhat. I'm just exposing the inconsistency in that philosophy. It is merely that some just don't want to made decisions and would rather take the easy road instead of the right road.

It doesnt expose any inconsistency at all nor is it about taking the easy road or doing something that is not right by any stretch of the imagination.

But no need to hi-jack this thread to an issue that's already been discussed.

Raymond Wed Feb 06, 2013 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 877518)
I think that in some of the cases, it's not the easy road they are trying to take, but rather retroactively justify whatever they said first so they can never be wrong --- rules be damned.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. But it sure doesn't seem to resemble anything to do with that previous conversation.

rockyroad Wed Feb 06, 2013 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 877524)
I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. But it sure doesn't seem to resemble anything to do with that previous conversation.

Sure doesn't to me either...plus I thought we weren't supposed to bring "rules" into these conversations, so how can they be damned?