The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 10:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
First a war story. Years ago when I was officiating women's in the Ohio Comm. Coll. Conf. I officiated a certain school from the OCCC in the NJCAA Regionals and the team got blown out and naturally, according the the HC, it was my fault that her team got blown out. And she made it a point to let me know that I would never work in her conference again. I let the league assignor know what she said. The next year I had her three times at home and three times on the road, .

When young officials come to me with questions about having a history with a coach, I tell them the same thing that many other posters in the thread have already said, officials forget the game as soon as it is over (and some of us forget the game before it is over, ). The problem is that many coaches think that we are always out to get them and never ever forgot. Ask any old timer and he will tell you of coaches that complain about a call he made against them from five years before. It is just part of the job.

MTD, Sr.
There are two lies officials frequently tell:

(1) A technical foul is the same as any other foul.

(2) We forget a game as soon as it's over.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 10:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are two lies officials frequently tell:

(1) A technical foul is the same as any other foul.

(2) We forget a game as soon as it's over.
Actually, a majority of the time I do forget about the game as soon as I leave the premises or my parnter(s) and I arrive home from our drive.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 10:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Look... none of us are trying to be argumentative.... Usually the tape tells the story. I don't like the fact that we don't have more trust, but that is the reality when every fan has a camera phone, both teams tape the game, etc.

The assignor in many cases is hired and paid by the schools in the conference and their ability to be successful does require that they serve as the liason between the officials and coaches in the conference.
I'm not trying to say you're wrong. Only pointing out the lack of trust. And, to be fair, it isn't likely your assignors' fault. Our assignor is an elected position within our association, abd the schools aren't going anywhere soon.

Not that tape isn't helpful, I just hate the idea of letting a clear technical foul go because you're the only one who heard it.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:08am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I still think your assignors need to trust you more
It's Texas...(at least in the case of Smitty and myself)...where officials are regarded as little more than an unfortunate necessity.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's Texas...(at least in the case of Smitty and myself)...where officials are regarded as little more than an unfortunate necessity.
Which is exactly why I wouldn't trade football rule sets with you.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually, a majority of the time I do forget about the game as soon as I leave the premises or my parnter(s) and I arrive home from our drive.
But clearly you don't forget, or you wouldn't be able to bring up past history in a subsequent pregame as you mentioned above.

My point is simple. I remember. Maybe not every detail. And that's good, because it forces me to be careful that I treat even the biggest d-bag like I need to - like today's another day. Prepared for, but not looking for a problem.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to say you're wrong. Only pointing out the lack of trust. And, to be fair, it isn't likely your assignors' fault. Our assignor is an elected position within our association, abd the schools aren't going anywhere soon.

Not that tape isn't helpful, I just hate the idea of letting a clear technical foul go because you're the only one who heard it.
Yep... I think that is the big difference...I currently work for 7 assignors and all are hired by the schools/conference versus an elected position like yours.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Yep... I think that is the big difference...I currently work for 7 assignors and all are hired by the schools/conference versus an elected position like yours.
In a way, that's liberating. I work for about a dozen and I didn't work for one of those assignors for about 5-6 years. No big deal, I have many others to fill my schedule.

It's when you have ONE guy you have to please that you're really stuck.

Back in the 90s, I ejected my baseball assignor from a middle school game he was coaching. When he threatened my baseball schedule, I reported him to the association board and threatened to report him to the state (who could relieve him of his duties). I worked a great schedule the next season.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Curious, what would have happened if the camera was also blocked?
I'm not sure. I probably would have had a conversation with my assignor at the very least. As it was, I didn't even know they looked at the tape until this season when I worked again with my partner from that game (who was the R in the game last season).
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:38am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

It's when you have ONE guy you have to please that you're really stuck.
It's when you have one person you have to please, and that person will not support you...that's when you are really stuck. Speaking from experience here - working for one person who has control over everything and consistently takes the coach's side of an issue regardless of what film shows - that is a recipe for disaster.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
It's when you have one person you have to please, and that person will not support you...that's when you are really stuck. Speaking from experience here - working for one person who has control over everything and consistently takes the coach's side of an issue regardless of what film shows - that is a recipe for disaster.
Let it go, find your happy place, there is a new assignor. I am sure they would welcome you back
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:49pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Let it go, find your happy place, there is a new assignor. I am sure they would welcome you back
Shut up.