The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

What do you have #2

Here is the other play discussed last night:

V team is beating H team by 30+ in the 4th quarter (not sure on time left). H calls a time out to draw up an inbounds play from their own end-line. They break huddle and line up in a stack on the far lane line from the benches. H6 realizes he doesn't have a place in the stack since he isn't supposed to be there so he turns and runs towards the bench. As he is doing this, the L hands the ball to H1. He lobs the ball to H3 who puts it in for 2...at this time H6 is seated on the bench. T whistles and whacks the bench for 6 players on the court, gets together with the L and they wipe the basket off the board.

Were they correct? What would you have done?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I wouldn't have let 6 players to play to begin with.

The L handed the ball to H1 early. No T, count the basket, and play on.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
What would you have done?
Either:

A) As the L, observed the T, and NOT handed the ball to the player inbounding it, or

b) As T, held my hand up and blew the whistle to alert my partner not to hand the ball to the inbounder.

Last edited by grunewar; Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 01:01pm. Reason: I type too slow juggler! :)
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

We all agreed last night on the fact that poor commnuication led to this mess in the first place.

But to play along, what if you did slip up once and let 6 on the court when you handed the ball...would you T for 6? We were kind of split as a group on what we would do. Us candy-asses said we wouldn't T because it was our fault for letting 6 on the floor. The hard asses said T because the book says so.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
We all agreed last night on the fact that poor commnuication led to this mess in the first place.

But to play along, what if you did slip up once and let 6 on the court when you handed the ball...would you T for 6? We were kind of split as a group on what we would do. Us candy-asses said we wouldn't T because it was our fault for letting 6 on the floor. The hard asses said T because the book says so.
I've done two different things that I can remember:

- issue the T (I dislike this because I check 99.99% of the time, and the 0.01% of the time that I don't check is when there are 6 on the court)

- kill the play just as the thrower-in has the ball given to them, or as they quickly pass it, as I claim that I hadn't yet given my ready to go signal

Ultimately, the coach is responsible for providing only 5 players. By rule, it's a T. But preventative officiating does say we should have a strong method of preventing this from happening.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But to play along, what if you did slip up once and let 6 on the court when you handed the ball...would you T for 6?
I'm assuming you included the margin in the game for a reason, and for that reason, I'm letting it slide.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Preventive officiating is to count the players, and all of us should, but it's still up to team to be within the rules.

If the ball hadn't been release for a shot, then the basket would not count by T's whistle, otherwise it would. Give the team a technical foul, and then play.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Had a situation similar to this the other night; on a dead ball my parter calls for subs with no whistle (and no horn from the table), I put the ball in play since I didn't realize this was going on as the 6th player was running off the floor. Partner and I whistle at the same time, I was just going to readminister the inbounds since it was on the opposite endline, but partner whistles them for a T. I quickly confer with him and we call coaches together and agree that it was our mistake, so no T. Everyone was happy.