The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Foul In the Post: One Continuous Action or Technical Foul?

Do you have this as a foul in the post and consider it all one continuous action or would you have an intentional (or maybe flagrant) technical foul (or whatever terminology is appropriate for the level you work).

FYI, in the game above, the officials initially ruled a flagrant foul penalty one which triggered a review...they downgraded it to a technical foul upon review.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like a plain ol' foul to me. Had the L had a quicker whistle, he could have cleaned it up a little earlier.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is all apart of the same action. It would just be a foul based on the ball being live. I would not even think to make this anything other than a foul. I doubt it would be a FF1 or intentional at the levels I work.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

FYI, in the game above, the officials initially ruled a flagrant foul penalty one which triggered a review...they downgraded it to a technical foul upon review.
APG,

How could this be a technical foul? The ball is live. Should it not be either a regular foul or a flagrant?
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 02:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Just a foul. I like BBR's notion that a quicker whistle is beneficial to the game.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

One foul.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 04:52pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
APG,

How could this be a technical foul? The ball is live. Should it not be either a regular foul or a flagrant?
I think one could suggest that it is a live ball foul (common) followed by a dead ball contact technical foul.

For me, it's all one. If the whistle had been a lot sooner, I think one could make an argument for a DBCTF after the common foul call at some levels.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

This is either a common or intentional foul. I think a flagrant or even technical (dead ball contact) is a stretch. I would go intentional as this was not exactly a basketball movement and its no different than a ball handler getting pushed in the back or pulling a jersey. The defender just grabbed the offensive player from the front (even though he was behind) and throws him to the floor.

No way is this common in my opinion.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 06:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Looks like a plain ol' foul to me. Had the L had a quicker whistle, he could have cleaned it up a little earlier.
Really? I watched it 3 times and the whistle seems to come (IMO) about exactly when I thought there was a foul to call.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
APG,

Perhaps I worded it poorly...they had a personal foul...followed by a call for a flagrant foul penalty one for the dead ball contact. Upon review, they downgraded that to a technical foul.

And you're generally right that one can not call a technical foul for live ball contact in the NBA except for fighting fouls and/or taunts with physical contact.

Not sure what others are saying when they say the lead could have called it earlier... it appears to me that the lead called the foul pretty much when it occurred.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Really? I watched it 3 times and the whistle seems to come (IMO) about exactly when I thought there was a foul to call.
Yes, really. I think the initial foul could have been called on the offensive player, who had his left arm extended and hooked, trying to prevent the defender from fronting him.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith