The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game Winner? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93835-game-winner.html)

jeschmit Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:09pm

I'm judging that as a try... ugly, but a try nonetheless.

Count that bucket.

Adam Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29pm

Thought experiment:

A1 in transition throws the ball against the backboard to set up his own dunk. He throws it too high, however, and can't catch it. A2 fouls B2 while chasing the ball.

TC foul?

tjones1 Sun Feb 03, 2013 01:59am

I have a try. Granted it isn't a very good try but that's what I'm judging it to be.

No violation -- however, I don't have a problem judging it a pass.

Your mileage may vary.

Sharpshooternes Mon Feb 04, 2013 07:02am

The white defender at the dividion line had to have deflected that ball. the pass was to the player on the right side of the court and the deflection made the ball go to the backboard. It bounced in the front court then one bounce in the backcourt picked up by white with the hail Mary. I don't believe this was a backcourt as white was the last to touch it before it went into the backcourt. That bucket should have counted.

bainsey Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 876495)
Not true. While there are situations that seem to imply that, there is no such rule that states that it is so.

If it was a pass, even a bad one, there was no loss of team control and the backcourt violation was correct.

I'm struggling to find the case play that states that any ball thrown at and hits your backboard is considered a shot. This is why I have no team control, and therefore, no backcourt in this situation.

Raymond Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 876756)
The white defender at the dividion line had to have deflected that ball. the pass was to the player on the right side of the court and the deflection made the ball go to the backboard. It bounced in the front court then one bounce in the backcourt picked up by white with the hail Mary. I don't believe this was a backcourt as white was the last to touch it before it went into the backcourt. That bucket should have counted.

You see white deflecting it in the video? A1 was not looking at the player down in the right corner so I don't think the was passing it there. I don't see this as a time to throw a no-look pass.

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24am

Boys basketball: Coosa knocks off Calhoun in overtime after fourth-quarter drama - Prep Central Online: Calhoun

From the article it seems like they changed the call from a backcourt violation to an inadvertant whistle!

JetMetFan Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33am

My $0.02....

From the times on the clip it seems like there were about six seconds remaning at the start of the play and #3 released the ball with about four.

From what I can tell, when #3 jumped into the air he was intending to pass the ball to #1. Take a look at his head/eyes. He's looking straight ahead until he's in mid-air then he changes to look at the goal. At some point it appears he realized #1 was covered and then launched the ball towards the goal. Now, am I going to be able to tell all this while I'm on the court? Possibly. If the C was even with the play he might've seen it.

If I was on the court I most likely would've given #3 the benefit of the doubt and ruled he shot the ball, factoring in the time remaining and where he was when he released it.

ballgame99 Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 876790)
Boys basketball: Coosa knocks off Calhoun in overtime after fourth-quarter drama - Prep Central Online: Calhoun

From the article it seems like they changed the call from a backcourt violation to an inadvertant whistle!

Wow, that says they initially ruled the goal good and then changed it to an IW. So that means they ruled it a shot, and that the goal would have counted, but because they had an IW, the shot didn't count. Man, what a nightmare situation.

Rich Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 876477)
Kaelen Riley CHS vs Coosa - YouTube

My understanding is that the officials disallowed the basket. They ruled the first shot a pass, and a backcourt violation killed the shot. Thoughts?

My thought is this:

Sometimes you can think too much.

wyo96 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16pm

A coach that understands

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 876790)

Quote from the article "“It was a crazy sequence at the end, but we put ourselves in that situation with mental mistakes all night,” said Calhoun coach Vince Layson. “When you make mistakes like we did tonight, teams like Coosa will beat you.”

OKREF Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19pm

Looks like a pass, then a shot, then a pass. Does hitting the back board on a pass nulify any backcourt violations?

Camron Rust Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 876783)
I'm struggling to find the case play that states that any ball thrown at and hits your backboard is considered a shot. This is why I have no team control, and therefore, no backcourt in this situation.

The only case play related to this is the one where a player that has ended a dribble can get a new dribble by throwing the ball off the backboard. That implies that there is something going on there but it doesn't go so far as to declare that it is a try...it simply declares that it is legal for that player to dribble again.

It might be inferred from this case that it is to be treated as if it were a try as far as player control goes but it doesn't actually say that. It just says it is legal to dribble again. Even if it did, it may or may not mean that team control also ends. It may just be intended to be an exception to the dribble rules as they related to player control.

Until it is explicitly stated otherwise, the only pass that I'm treating anything like a shot is one that goes in...and that one is only treated as a shot in how many points are scored.

just another ref Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 876801)
Does hitting the back board on a pass nulify any backcourt violations?

No.

OKREF Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 876808)
No.

Then I probably have a BC violation, as it does look in the end it was a pass.