The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clearing the first row of bleachers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93738-clearing-first-row-bleachers.html)

Robmoz Mon Jan 28, 2013 02:26pm

Clearing the first row of bleachers

I've had a couple of situations this season regarding large crowds in smaller gyms that allow seating of fans in the first row of the bleachers which made it quite distracting to run up and down the sidelines during the beginning of the game (as more fans filled the stands). I had to ask the site admin to have the first row vacated and in both instances my request was met with a lackluster effort to move the fans. Each time I had to insist and ended up waiting for compliance to my request. I hated to hold the game up but was not willing to risk a collision or worse yet, an injury to myself or a fan.

Q1. Is it acceptable to request that the first row remain vacant?
Q2. Is it prudent to mention this to the table prior to tipoff when you see a packed house or just wait for it to happen?

bob jenkins Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:24pm

1) No, imo.

2) Get it addressed before the house is packed. Those who got there early to take the prime front row seats are going to be mad if they have to move to the end / upper rows.

JRutledge Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:34pm

I would never make that request. I might make the request to a GM person about those interfering, but I would not say flat out to remove people. Having worked in some very tight gyms in my career, usually you make accomidations to either move players or fans when approrpiate for a throw in or you stay on the court as an official. And unless a fan directly interferes, I would leave this alone. Just adjust.

Peace

Rooster Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 875069)
Just adjust.

Peace

Yup.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:06pm

Next time that happens, try this. Just before you go out onto the floor, eat a lot of beans. Then, just stand in front of the people you want to leave with your back to them. After you take a few trips up and down the court, they'll leave. :rolleyes:

Adam Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:32pm

You had them move because they were a distraction?

Robmoz Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 875093)
You had them move because they were a distraction?

...after having a collision and one near collision (in each instance) while running to cover a break with my head turned toward the play coming down with me it certainly was a physical distraction.

Adam Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robmoz (Post 875095)
...after having a collision and one near collision (in each instance) while running to cover a break with my head turned toward the play coming down with me it certainly was a physical distraction.

Gotcha! I'd consider it for safety concerns. Otherwise, I'd adjust and simply run in the middle of the court.

#olderthanilook Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 875082)
Next time that happens, try this. Just before you go out onto the floor, eat a lot of beans. Then, just stand in front of the people you want to leave with your back to them. After you take a few trips up and down the court, they'll leave. :rolleyes:

aka "crop dusting". :D

Camron Rust Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:23pm

That is actually a rule here in Oregon. The state requires that he first row remain empty.

I'm not sure if there are exceptions for the case when there are no other seats left, but that is rarely the case anyway.

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:30pm

At one gym, there were a few fans sitting in front of the table (which was up in the third row of the bleachers), which made it difficult for players to report. We had game manaagement move them. Small gyms mean you may need to make adjustments. Do you make players move off the bench if they are seated close to the sideline? No, you have the defender back off 3 feet during a throw-in.