The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   BYU v. Portland Ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93714-byu-v-portland-ejection.html)

APG Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:54pm

BYU v. Portland Ejection

Was asked to post this:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/g_NxgxVl6dk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:01pm

So what did they come up with? obviously the ejection but does this become a flagrant 1 or 2?

just another ref Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 874775)
So what did they come up with? obviously the ejection but does this become a flagrant 1 or 2?

If it was an ejection, that means it was a flagrant 2.

OKREF Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:13pm

Portland kid started it all when he dove on the pile. Should have been a foul on that.

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:13pm

Thanks

JRutledge Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:14pm

I know they ejected #3 in white with a Flagrant 2. The put the ball in play at the division line properly by giving some sort of dead ball contact technical. I am not a 100% sure because I watched this in a bar and did not hear the explanation.

Peace

Welpe Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 874777)
BYU kid started it all when he dove on the pile. Should have been a foul on that.

Do you mean Portland (White #3)?

If nothing else, I'd say that's a common foul there followed by a flagrant technical (NFHS lingo) on him.

JetMetFan Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874779)
I know they ejected #3 in white with a Flagrant 2. The put the ball in play at the division line properly by giving some sort of dead ball contact technical. I am not a 100% sure because I watched this in a bar and did not hear the explanation.

Peace

That seems to be all. Box score on BYU web site shows #3 with only one foul for the game (in one minute of playing time).

OKREF Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 874780)
Do you mean Portland (White #3)?

If nothing else, I'd say that's a common foul there followed by a flagrant technical (NFHS lingo) on him.

Yes, I meant Portland.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 27, 2013 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 874777)
Portland kid started it all when he dove on the pile. Should have been a foul on that.

Yes, unless the ball was already dead for a held ball. Then, imo, the diving on the pile does NOT rise to the level of a F1 or F2.

Raymond Sun Jan 27, 2013 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 874782)
That seems to be all. Box score on BYU web site shows #3 with only one foul for the game (in one minute of playing time).

Riley (W3) acted like a complete d!ckhead. Jumped on the pile needlessly and threw the BYU player (B13) to the ground. If I'm writing the report I'm giving him a FF2 for fighting.

JRutledge Sun Jan 27, 2013 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 874857)
Riley (W3) acted like a complete d!ckhead. Jumped on the pile needlessly and threw the BYU player (B13) to the ground. If I'm writing the report I'm giving him a FF2 for fighting.

I would not be surprised if the player is suspended for all the antics by the league.

Peace

SethPDX Sun Jan 27, 2013 07:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874779)

Peace

#3 white was the only one penalized. I was at the game and it was announced as a personal foul, an ejection, 2 FTs and the ball for BYU.

I'm a Portland fan, I agree with it, he was out of line. He had just come in, made his first shot, got a rebound, then that, all in one minute. I thought the crew did a good job trying to get it calmed down, but kids these days, right? ;)

But of course someone on the Pilot board said the officials "allowed" it to get out of hand. :rolleyes:

JRutledge Sun Jan 27, 2013 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 874881)
#3 white was the only one penalized. I was at the game and it was announced as a personal foul, an ejection, 2 FTs and the ball for BYU.

I'm a Portland fan, I agree with it, he was out of line. He had just come in, made his first shot, got a rebound, then that, all in one minute. I thought the crew did a good job trying to get it calmed down, but kids these days, right? ;)

But of course someone on the Pilot board said the officials "allowed" it to get out of hand. :rolleyes:

Well I figured he was the only one penalized if you looked at the TV feed without volume. It was just hard to tell if they called two fouls on #3 at the time (personal foul and Flagrant 2 T), but it was clarified that he only got one foul. I also was not aware of the foul situation as well, so that is why it was a little confusing from my point of view. I saw they only shot two FTs and nothing else.

Peace

pizanno Tue Jan 29, 2013 02:30am

The entire game is available on espn3 online. You can hear crew chief tell announcers "this is a mess" then "we had a jump ball, then before awarding white the ball, white 3 dead ball contact technical foul, then a flagrant 2 foul on white 3 which we deemed fighting"
Seems there were two fouls, but they only shot two. I know the box score only shows one foul. The play-by-play lists two fouls.