The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical on Coach with ball in flight (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93711-technical-coach-ball-flight.html)

Loudwhistle2 Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:14am

Technical on Coach with ball in flight

Second half, GV, visiting team puts up a 10' jumper, just as visiting coach says to center official, "you suck" Official T's up coach, then the ball goes throught the basket. (first time for me, with a T during a shot made good) didn't count basket, coach went and sat down. I'm pretty sure this is right in not counting the basket due to the whistle killing the ball and it was not an airborne shooter situation. If I'm reading 6-7 correclty I believe this was correct. Timeline of event: shot goes up, "you suck", whistle for T, ball goes through basket. Correct?
6-7

just another ref Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:16am

If the ball was in flight, the T does not cause it to be dead. Count the basket.

APG Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:16am

Ball is released: Count the basket
Before the release: No basket

Loudwhistle2 Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 874702)
If the ball was in flight, the T does not cause it to be dead. Count the basket.

D*mmit, thanks! Been bugging me, felt odd.

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:51am

Once a try is released, the ball does not become dead until
  • the try ends
  • a player control foul is committed
  • the offense commits an elbow-swinging violation.
I think that's it. I also thought of BI/GT is committed, but that would also end the try. So I think I have it covered.

Any other kind of foul does not cause the ball to become dead; the horn does not cause the ball to become dead.

In your situation, you'd still assess the technical foul, obviously; count the basket; then award the FTs and possession to the offended team.

stiffler3492 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27am

Next time, if you can, wait until the try is over, then whack.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 874733)
Next time, if you can, wait until the try is over, then whack.

Bad idea. What if the shot is missed, an offensive rebound is made and you hit the whistle just before A2 puts a layup in. No need for that to happen.

This isn't a team on a fastbreak, in which case you should hold the whistle. This is a shot in flight. The whistle has no bearing on whether the basket is counted or not. It counts if it goes. Either way, we're going to shoot FTs as soon as the shot ends.

stiffler3492 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 874734)
Bad idea. What if the shot is missed, an offensive rebound is made and you hit the whistle just before A2 puts a layup in. No need for that to happen.

This isn't a team on a fastbreak, in which case you should hold the whistle. This is a shot in flight. The whistle has no bearing on whether the basket is counted or not. It counts if it goes. Either way, we're going to shoot FTs as soon as the shot ends.

Fair point. Yes I was thinking of a fast break. Also trying to avoid confusion.

twocentsworth Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 874734)

You should ABSOLUTELY wait until the play is over...THEN...wack! Doesn't matter if the T is called immediately after the coaches' comments...hold the whistle, then assess.

If you can stop it before the missed shot is rebounded by the offensive team, great. If not, doesn't matter - the coach is getting a T either way. No need to be so quick to blow the whistle while the shot is in the air.

Adam Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 874746)
You should ABSOLUTELY wait until the play is over...THEN...wack! Doesn't matter if the T is called immediately after the coaches' comments...hold the whistle, then assess.

If you can stop it before the missed shot is rebounded by the offensive team, great. If not, doesn't matter - the coach is getting a T either way. No need to be so quick to blow the whistle while the shot is in the air.

So, what's the point in waiting?

twocentsworth Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 874748)
So, what's the point in waiting?

There is no need to interrupt a scoring-opportunity-in-action by calling the T at that exact moment. You make things a whole lot easier by waiting a few extra seconds.

This is most certainly true when:
- a T on a defensive player would wipe out a scoring chance by the offense. (why penalize the offense for the opponents transgression?)
- a NCAAM game where the resumption of play is POI (if you call the T while no team control, you've got to go the arrow).

By waiting a few extra seconds, it becomes a "cleaner"/easier penalty administration.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 874755)
There is no need to interrupt a scoring-opportunity-in-action by calling the T at that exact moment. You make things a whole lot easier by waiting a few extra seconds.

In the OP, the shot was already in the air. This wasn't a "fast break" situation.

Here, call the T immediately, imo.

Adam Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:04pm

Quote:

- a T on a defensive player would wipe out a scoring chance by the offense. (why penalize the offense for the opponents transgression?)
- a NCAAM game where the resumption of play is POI (if you call the T while no team control, you've got to go the arrow).

By waiting a few extra seconds, it becomes a "cleaner"/easier penalty administration.

Neither situation applies to the OP, unless his GV games are done with NCAA rules. And POI in the OP would NOT be the arrow.

So again, why wait?

just another ref Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05pm

Quote:

The T is on the team trying to score. I'm not interested in the status of their opportunity.

twocentsworth Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 874757)
Neither situation applies to the OP, unless his GV games are done with NCAA rules. And POI in the OP would NOT be the arrow.

So again, why wait?

My response was intentionally general enough to provide officials with various thoughts to consider.

Since you ONLY want to consider this situation in a GV game....my response to you is: "enjoy your career of working GV games. Call every violation/foul/infraction the exact second you see it. I'm sure you'll do well."

Adam Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 874762)
My response was intentionally general enough to provide officials with various thoughts to consider.

Since you ONLY want to consider this situation in a GV game....my response to you is: "enjoy your career of working GV games. Call every violation/foul/infraction the exact second you see it. I'm sure you'll do well."

You may have been intentionally general, but you weren't clear about it.

If I was to suggest you Google "Wil Wheaton's Advice," that would have been more obvious than the "general" nature of your response.

Raymond Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:44pm

Quote:

How the hell does blowing the whistle while the ball is in flight wipe out a scoring opportunity?

Rich Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:47pm

Quote:

I've nominated you for the d-bag comment of the day award. Congratulations.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:18pm

Quote:

There's no reason to be a jerk. We're discussing the situation in the thread, not every possible play that could happen. And in this play, there's no reason not to assess the T when the shot is in the air.

rockyroad Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:34pm

Good grief...I honestly can not think of anyone else who is as consistently wrong on this forum as our buddy twocents.

Are you seriously saying that you are concerned about the scoring opportunity of the team whose Coach just told your partner or you that you suck? There is absolutely no reason to hold on calling a T when THAT team has the ball.

And then to compound the error, he throws a derogatory GV comment out...nice. Makes me miss Jurassic today. :mad:

APG Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:38pm

I don't see a real issue with handling it either way.

JRutledge Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 874828)
I've nominated you for the d-bag comment of the day award. Congratulations.

Is it because he is really being a jerk or that there is some truth to those statements? Or is it because it offends some because they work girls basketball?

It seems like when anyone says anything about girls basketball they are being arrogant or a jerk when many expectations of girls basketball is very different than boys basketball.

Peace

just another ref Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874836)
.... many expectations of girls basketball is very different than boys basketball.

True, but not in the case at hand.

JRutledge Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 874837)
True, but not in the case at hand.

You are probably correct, but it just seems like if anyone says anything about girls basketball we start making accusations. Of course the person in question often has a history of saying silly stuff, but I wonder if he said nothing about girl's basketball anyone would be calling him a jerk just for these comments?

Peace

Raymond Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874838)
You are probably correct, but it just seems like if anyone says anything about girls basketball we start making accusations. Of course the person in question often has a history of saying silly stuff, but I wonder if he said nothing about girl's basketball anyone would be calling him a jerk just for these comments?

Peace

No, I'd just be calling him stupid for saying that blowing your whistle for a T while a try is in flight will wipe out a scoring opportunity.

Rich Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874836)
Is it because he is really being a jerk or that there is some truth to those statements? Or is it because it offends some because they work girls basketball?

It seems like when anyone says anything about girls basketball they are being arrogant or a jerk when many expectations of girls basketball is very different than boys basketball.

Peace

If this was a simple "bash girls basketball" comment, I would've ignored it. Even if I agree with those comments, I try not to make them too often myself.

Instead he made a comment which made no sense (calling a T with the ball in flight has no effect on the scoring opportunity since the play posted WAS a GV play under NFHS rules) and he took a chance, then, to make a gratuitous swipe at GV basketball which had no place in the thread.

And the expectations and the outcomes *are* far different. Nobody said otherwise.

JRutledge Sun Jan 27, 2013 05:05pm

Just asking. I just commented on a trend.

And I agree with BNR, that pretty much would have been my take.

Peace

just another ref Sun Jan 27, 2013 05:08pm

Couple of problems here. He went off on another tangent about waiting and not stopping the scoring opportunity, if the T is on the defense. While this may be true in those other situations, not only is there no benefit to waiting here, as pointed out by Tony, the opposite may be the case. The offense may have a quick rebound and putback attempt, or there may be a foul by the defense on the rebound. That's the last thing you want here, is for the offending team to have any kind of chance for something positive.

rockyroad Sun Jan 27, 2013 06:04pm

The "d-bag factor" of his comment really doesn't have anything to do with Girls basketball. The fact is that twocents again posted incorrect information, and then when called on it, told a very accomplished official that that official wasn't good enough to do anything but GV ball. You could substitute rec league, Church league, Jr. high, or several other things for the GV part of twocents post, and it would still be a d-bag post.

LeeBallanfant Sun Jan 27, 2013 08:27pm

From my personal experience, the official calling the T should also be the official to determine if the ball was released before/after T. The other official(s) are not expecting this and when you get the T sorted out and ask them 1 or 2 minutes later whether the ball was released before or after the whistle , good luck

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 874729)
Once a try is released, the ball does not become dead until
  • the try ends
  • a player control foul is committed
  • the offense commits an elbow-swinging violation.
I think that's it. I also thought of BI/GT is committed, but that would also end the try. So I think I have it covered.

I thought of one more, if it's a try for a free throw, the ball is dead when the shooter or a teammate violates the free throw provisions.

Brad Mon Jan 28, 2013 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 874832)
There's no reason to be a jerk.

I concur with this. If you can't make your point without being insulting to someone else, you may want to just move on to another thread.