The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PIck and Roll - Illegal Screen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93649-pick-roll-illegal-screen.html)

Pantherdreams Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:15am

PIck and Roll - Illegal Screen

Struggling with when and if to call illegal screening action.

On the initial screen is the easier call. Does screener establish themself in a legal position, give proper time and space, etc.

My struggle comes after that initial screen when the screener rolls. If player who is screened is trying to go under the screen or fight rthrough and the player rolls and interferes with their recovery then its an illegal screen because they are moving.

Often though especially with less skilled teams and players, how they defend the ball screen can inconsistent or poorly executed. At what point can we assume the players have switched defensive assignments? In theory if the primary defender stays active and keeps moving then there could never be a situation where we could allow the screener to roll without it potentially being an illegal screen since we don't know what the defense is doing?!

Should I be calling this more, or I am just over thinking it. (FYI had a coach upset the other night because he claimed they were trying to stunt or double the ball carrier with both and the first could never get back.)

SNIPERBBB Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:31am

You can screen legally while moving.

Jay R Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:49am

If you go the NBA Video Rulebook, there are 3 or 4 good examples of illegal screens on pick and rolls. No, we're not in the NBA but video examples of good screens versus bad screens may help you figure where to draw the line.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:52am

You need to decide if the "roller" is illegally screening the defensive player who's going under, or if both players are legally moving and contact occurs. Look for an arm out to hold the defensive player, or a change in the movement to stay in front, ...

I know that's not much help. Most moves are (interpreted as) legal -- you'll know the illegal when you see it.

just another ref Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:06am

The only thing that keeps many screens from being illegal is that the defender sees the screen and shies away from the contact.

ballgame99 Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19am

The judgement that needs to be made here is whether the "roller" is really rolling to try to receive a pass or go rebound, or if he/she is just rolling enough to hold up the defender. You can usually tell the diference.

Tio Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29am

If borderline... I say let it go.

The play we have to watch is where the screener "rolls" but basically continues to impedes a defender trying to get around the screen. Hard to explain but you can probably find video clips of it.

Loudwhistle2 Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 874062)
Struggling with when and if to call illegal screening action.

On the initial screen is the easier call. Does screener establish themself in a legal position, give proper time and space, etc.

My struggle comes after that initial screen when the screener rolls. If player who is screened is trying to go under the screen or fight rthrough and the player rolls and interferes with their recovery then its an illegal screen because they are moving.

Often though especially with less skilled teams and players, how they defend the ball screen can inconsistent or poorly executed. At what point can we assume the players have switched defensive assignments? In theory if the primary defender stays active and keeps moving then there could never be a situation where we could allow the screener to roll without it potentially being an illegal screen since we don't know what the defense is doing?!

Should I be calling this more, or I am just over thinking it. (FYI had a coach upset the other night because he claimed they were trying to stunt or double the ball carrier with both and the first could never get back.)

If someone has a short video clip of this situation it would be great to post and discuss on the forum. I have greatly improved in my ability to correctly call block/charge situations partly due to the discussions I've read on here.

Jay R Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06pm

Video Rule Book - Home

Go to screens and picks

Camron Rust Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 874114)
The judgement that needs to be made here is whether the "roller" is really rolling to try to receive a pass or go rebound, or if he/she is just rolling enough to hold up the defender. You can usually tell the diference.

Why the "roller" is rolling is irrelevant. It is the effect of the action that matters. If the defender attempts to go under and the roller moves such that it cuts them off and prevents them from getting to the player they were trying to guard, it is an illegal screen (assuming contact). Of course, if the shot or pass is already in motion, that might change things as the play to be defended will have changed.