The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Select Shooter on Intentional Foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93643-select-shooter-intentional-foul.html)

BballRookie Thu Jan 24, 2013 01:02am

Select Shooter on Intentional Foul?

Hard push in the back. Easy intentional foul call.

As the player (who was pushed in the back) goes to the line for the intentional three throws the coached asked if he could make a sub for the shooter(?). I took a deep breath and before I could answer he said nevermind.

On a technical you can sub a player in, but on an intentional?

I know, I know. Get the rule book out and all that stuff. Can one of our wise old vets just give me answer and a reference.

Thanks guys.

just another ref Thu Jan 24, 2013 01:03am

Answer: The player who was pushed must shoot unless he was injured.

Reference: The rule book

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2013 01:17am

This is all true if it is a NF game or rules are being used. But if this is an NCAA game or games played under those rules (FF1) then you could have anyone shoot those FTs if the player fouled was injured. Maybe that is where someone is getting that idea from. But otherwise in NF rules only the shooter takes the FTs on an Intentional Foul and if a player is hurt, then the sub is the only one that can shoot the FTs.

Peace

Sharpshooternes Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874034)
This is all true if it is a NF game or rules are being used. But if this is an NCAA game or games played under those rules (FF1) then you could have anyone shoot those FTs if the player fouled was injured. Maybe that is where someone is getting that idea from. But otherwise in NF rules only the shooter takes the FTs on an Intentional Foul and if a player is hurt, then the sub is the only one that can shoot the FTs.

Peace

And there is NEVER a time when the opposing team/coach chooses the FT shooter. I have had coaches ask me this twice this year.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 874037)
And there is NEVER a time when the opposing team/coach chooses the FT shooter. I have had coaches ask me this twice this year.

I wouldn't say NEVER as it is possible under NCAA-M rules when an injured player is due FTs for a common foul. The opposing coach must pick from one of the other four players on the court.

Sharpshooternes Thu Jan 24, 2013 03:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 874039)
I wouldn't say NEVER as it is possible under NCAA rules when an injured player is due FTs for a common foul. The opposing coach must pick from one of the other four players on the court.

Yep, sorry, meant in HS only.

Lotto Thu Jan 24, 2013 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 874039)
I wouldn't say NEVER as it is possible under NCAA rules when an injured player is due FTs for a common foul. The opposing coach must pick from one of the other four players on the court.

Just to be absolutely precise, this is NCAAM only.

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 874059)
Just to be absolutely precise, this is NCAAM only.

Yep, and had it happen last week on my first foul of the game.

maven Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 874031)
answer: The player who was pushed must shoot unless he was injured.

Reference: the rule book

8-2

bob jenkins Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BballRookie (Post 874030)
On a technical you can sub a player in, but on an intentional?

Was it a Personal foul or a Techincal Foul? See, you've (apparently) made the common error of comparing "Technical" with "Intentional". Only one of those is a "type" of foul; the other is an adjective that can further define either "type."

Knowing that will help you get these types of questions correct and answer the coach with confidence.

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 874037)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 874044)
Yep, sorry, meant in HS only.

Didn't you not read that I was referencing NCAA Rules? And yes there are people that try to merge NCAA Rules into NF Rules. This sounds like one of those cases.

Peace

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 874102)
On an intentional foul (FF1), the rule is the same in both sets.

I am aware what the rules are, but others are not always aware of what the rules are (just look at LGP under the basket).

Peace

Adam Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:52am

Never mind. I got it wrong anyway.

Sharpshooternes Fri Jan 25, 2013 02:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 874090)
Didn't you not read that I was referencing NCAA Rules? And yes there are people that try to merge NCAA Rules into NF Rules. This sounds like one of those cases.

Peace

Yes I didn't not read your post (meaning I read it) and quoted the last (which happened to be yours) to remind the HS people (which is what the OP was about) that opposing coach never chooses the shooter. And yes I agree that this is one of the merged NCAA/HS rules that causes confusion.