The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Night off (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93633-night-off.html)

Rich Wed Jan 23, 2013 07:47pm

Night off

Wednesdays are dead nights around here. I'm actually home and not running to some far-flung gym to work another game.

Strange feeling. I'm starting to wonder if I'll be happy working 60% of my current schedule next season.

Anyone else live in a place where a certain night of the week is pretty much always a night off?

jTheUmp Wed Jan 23, 2013 07:51pm

I don't have a Wednesday game at all in January or February. I think I had one Wednesday game in December, and it was for 7th or 8th graders.

No games on Sundays either, unless I wanted to do travel/wreck ball (which I haven't this season).

If we had a few more weather-related postponements, my Wednesday nights would be filled up for sure. But so far we haven't had any bad weather to speak of. Our only major snowstorm of the year happened on a Sunday.

APG Wed Jan 23, 2013 07:53pm

Thursdays have been my nights off, but due to (is at least to me) strange school schedule, there have been no games since last Friday (finals I think). My next one is this Friday...not used to a full week off at this point in the season.

Terrapins Fan Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:32pm

I work pretty much 5 or 6 days a week. I like working a lot, I think it helps me stay on top on my game.

I love me family and I miss them when I travel too far, but over all that is rare.

We have 4 schools that are 40 to 60 miles away. We have 8 that are close by. When you figure, boys/girls/JV/Varsity. there are a lot of games to cover.

We also do Middle school, but I don't get a lot of those.

Rich Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 873966)
Thursdays have been my nights off, but due to (is at least to me) strange school schedule, there have been no games since last Friday (finals I think). My next one is this Friday...not used to a full week off at this point in the season.

You can have my game tomorrow. It's about 100 miles from my house.

SAJ Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:44pm

Wednesdays and Sundays are my only nights off

as for distances
tomorrow: 70 miles
friday: 165 miles
next week I have one 237 miles away

APG Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 873974)
You can have my game tomorrow. It's about 100 miles from my house.

Farthest school I've had to cover is 50 miles away...no mileage either and only one game assigned.

OKREF Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:49pm

Every Monday and Thursday, as I have 2 boys playing Junior high and Elementary.

Sharpshooternes Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 873976)
Wednesdays and Sundays are my only nights off

as for distances
tomorrow: 70 miles
friday: 165 miles
next week I have one 237 miles away

These are college games I hope?

Sharpshooternes Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 873964)
Wednesdays are dead nights around here. I'm actually home and not running to some far-flung gym to work another game.

Strange feeling. I'm starting to wonder if I'll be happy working 60% of my current schedule next season.

Anyone else live in a place where a certain night of the week is pretty much always a night off?

Here in Utah, girls play on Tues./Thurs. and boys play on Wed./Fri. Never do games on Monday or Sunday. There are occasional games/tourneys on Saturday.

26 Year Gap Wed Jan 23, 2013 09:00pm

Quote:

Wednesday night games are rare in our area.

Kingsman1288 Thu Jan 24, 2013 03:00am

Wednesday is actually one of our busiest nights. If the boys are home, girls are away and vice versa. That being said, I still somehow managed to have Weds off :D

zm1283 Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:55am

Wednesday is the off night here. I think some schools play freshman games, but there are rarely varsity games on Wednesdays. My last game of the season is on a Wednesday though. Other than Sundays, I could work every night of the week, which I used to do. Got tired of being gone five nights a week though, so I work at least three, and sometimes four nights now. It's a good balance. We have schools 75-100 miles away, so if you get a week with a couple of longer trips it starts to wear on you.

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03am

As a general rule I only work 3 days a week. I tend to work Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. And Tuesdays and Saturdays can be often college games. Of course I can work an occasional Wednesday or Thursday for college, but not always. So I am off many days during the season unless something unusual is taking place like I had two games on Monday because of the holiday. I could not see doing that every week.

Peace

#olderthanilook Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29am

Quote:

Wednesdays are usually dead in my area too, unless you like doing recreational leagues to supplement your schedule. I usually block Wednesdays, though. A mid week break to recharge the batteries and spend time with the family is a very good thing.