The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ever Seen This? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93621-ever-seen.html)

Loudwhistle2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 01:42pm

Ever Seen This?

BV A1 attempting to inbounds the ball in their backcourt along endline with full court pressure. Pass comes into A2 who is about ten feet away from A1 near the other teams free throw line. A2 "passes/throws" the ball almost straight up. Ball goes so high in "standard" gym that the ball gets tangled up in the ducting and acoustical tiles in the ceiling that are about 60' high! The ball almost got stuck up there! First time I've ever seen a basketball thrown that high in a game!

maven Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:14pm

I've worked in gyms with some low ceilings, but no, I've never seen that.

bainsey Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 873611)
A2 "passes/throws" the ball almost straight up. Ball goes so high in "standard" gym that the ball gets tangled up in the ducting and acoustical tiles in the ceiling that are about 60' high!

I'm curious as to why. End of the game?

AKOFL Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:56pm

had the ball go up and knock out a big ceiling tile that fell to the floor and blew up. thankfully it didn't hit any one. they were old heavy ones.

grunewar Tue Jan 22, 2013 04:13pm

I had a full court pass hit one of the portable net/partitions that can divide the court in half and hangs from the ceiling......well, they must not lower it that often, as the dust came falling down like snow for a good 30 secs and the entire court had to be swept off. :rolleyes:

maven Tue Jan 22, 2013 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 873669)
well, they must not lower it that often, as the dust came falling down like snow for a good 30 secs and the entire court had to be swept off. :rolleyes:

Ew. You know that's half dead skin, half asbestos, right? :eek:

bigbeardedbryan Tue Jan 22, 2013 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 873678)
Ew. You know that's half dead skin, half asbestos, right? :eek:

But it was all "salisbury steak" by lunch the next day!

Loudwhistle2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 873636)
I'm curious as to why. End of the game?

Nope, third quarter and it was shot almost like a regular shot. Major brain fart I guess. All the officials and most fans were like WTH? Plenty of time on clock too, about 2 minutes.

Loudwhistle2 Tue Jan 22, 2013 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 873669)
I had a full court pass hit one of the portable net/partitions that can divide the court in half and hangs from the ceiling......well, they must not lower it that often, as the dust came falling down like snow for a good 30 secs and the entire court had to be swept off. :rolleyes:

Holy Shoot, that tops mine by a mile!

AremRed Tue Jan 22, 2013 08:07pm

I worked a game last week where a halftime, half-court heave hit the disco ball hanging from the rafters. We cleared the kids away from the area real quick, but deemed it safe enough to continue with the second half. That thing was still swinging by the time we started the 3rd quarter.