The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Unofficial Book (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93614-unofficial-book.html)

bainsey Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04pm

The Unofficial Book

Varsity boys. Home/official book kept at the table, as per usual. Visiting team keeps its own book at their bench by a manager.

Before the game, the R informs the visiting bench that, if the unofficial book is kept on the bench, the official book cannot go to the unofficial book to clarify anything. At halftime, R approaches visiting bench and informs the coach that the unofficial book cannot go with them into the locker room.

In either case, is the official correct? Rule/case citations?

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09pm

I've never heard of this-earlier this year I kept both book and stats on the bench for our JV teams at a tournament but the officials for the most part always allowed me to go over and make sure I had everything right.One pair made me sit at the table as the visiting book.The only rule was that the team designated home had to provide the official scorer.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12pm

There are no rules with regard to the visitors' unofficial book. So anything posted here is just conjecture on what individuals might do.

Pre-game, I would encourage the visitors to seat their manager at the table.

If the manager chooses to sit on the bench, I will not have him/her distracting the official scorer by going back and forth, asking questions.

Where the visitor's book goes during halftime, I couldn't care less.

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36pm

during regular season games when we are the road team our scorekeepers will always sit at the table.I have only had 1 kid complain about it in seven seasons.

Stat-Man Tue Jan 22, 2013 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 873495)
Varsity boys. Home/official book kept at the table, as per usual. Visiting team keeps its own book at their bench by a manager.

Before the game, the R informs the visiting bench that, if the unofficial book is kept on the bench, the official book cannot go to the unofficial book to clarify anything. At halftime, R approaches visiting bench and informs the coach that the unofficial book cannot go with them into the locker room.

I can't think of any rules support for the R's comments.

I've been at CYO games where the visiting team has no parent/person available to keep score, so they take the book back to the bench after making sure the official book gets the lineup information.

However, having an unofficial scorer anywhere but at the table would make the provisions of 2-11-11 more challenging (verifying information at various intervals). As such, I might be more mistrusting of a book kept away from the table in event of a discrepancy.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 22, 2013 04:07am

There is a recommendation that the home and visiting scorers sit together in NFHS games. Beyond that there is no rules support, other than what a local state or league may require, for the statements of the R in the OP.

Eastshire Tue Jan 22, 2013 08:23am

Quote:

There could be several unofficial books at the game. (I used to keep a book in the stands when I watched games.) Is he going to prevent all of them from leaving the gym? If not, what makes this one special?

Rich Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31am

Quote:

The R is an OOO.

ODog Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 873560)
The R is an OOO.

I'm fairly new to the board and have seen "OOO" sprinkled in. I'm usually decent at using context to help me figure out acronyms, but this one's escaping me. Help?

Rich Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 873589)
I'm fairly new to the board and have seen "OOO" sprinkled in. I'm usually decent at using context to help me figure out acronyms, but this one's escaping me. Help?

Over-officious official (or oaf, depending on the context).

maven Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 873590)
Over-officious official (or oaf, depending on the context).

Never liked the term, which implies that some officials have just the right amount of officiousness.

'Officious' is a great word, though. :)