The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Falling with the ball...sort of (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93584-falling-ball-sort.html)

chicodork Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:15am

Falling with the ball...sort of

Funky play tonight. Kid jumps up for the ball, doesn't control it, bats it around a bit, falls to the ground, finally gains control with feet off ground as he is falling. He lands, slides a bit, and passes the ball to a teammate.

I passed on the call because his feet were off the ground when he finally gained control, but I am doubting my decision. Any clarification?

What if he bobbled it the whole way down, and doesn't control it until he is on the ground? Legal play, right?

Raymond Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:19am

Travelling in HS, nothing in NCAA.

just another ref Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:25am

You say he gained control with his feet off the floor. Are you saying some other body part was already touching the floor? If he gained control after he was already on the floor, no travel unless he rolls over or attempts to stand up.

chicodork Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:37am

It happened so fast obviously, but I had him bobbling the ball as he was falling, and whether he secured it right before he hit the ground, or right after was too close to call.

It was an awkward fall, so I can't recall exactly what body parts were off the floor.

RookieDude Sat Jan 19, 2013 03:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicodork (Post 873074)
...whether he secured it right before he hit the ground, or right after was too close to call.

...and that, my friend, is why we get the big bucks! ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicodork (Post 873074)
It happened so fast obviously, but I had him bobbling the ball as he was falling, and whether he secured it right before he hit the ground, or right after was too close to call.

It was an awkward fall, so I can't recall exactly what body parts were off the floor.

ChicoDork:

You made the right call. Your description (in blue) tells you that if you can't explain it don't call it. We all have plays like this and the best call 99.99% of the time is that nothing illegal happened.

MTD, Sr.

ballgame99 Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09pm

I had two strange ones like this in one game last week; the girl had control while her feet were on the floor but fell, as she hits the ground the ball pops out (contact with the floor caused the "fumble"). I called the travel because she fell, but have been second guessing myself. I looked in rule book but could not find anything definitive.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29pm

4-44-5

BillyMac Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:53pm

Trying To Make A Living And Doing The Best I Can ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 874149)
4-44-5

A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than
hand or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand
or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.