The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disconcertion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93574-disconcertion.html)

BTBaller30 Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:30am

Disconcertion

I am curious about the disconcerting of the free throw shooter rule. I saw a situation the other day where a player was standing at the bottom section(on the block) before a free throw and held his arms above his head. He didn't move them throughout the entire process from the time he got set on the block till he started his boxout after the 2nd shot. The next time a shooting foul occurred the head ref told him it was disconcertion. I disagreed because he never moved or spoke. He just stood there. I am just curious about the rule.

just another ref Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:41am

disconcert: verb.....Disturb the composure of; unsettle

Don't let any opponent do this to the shooter. Basically, don't let them yell, "NOONAN!" on the release. Don't let them clap hands right in front of the shooter. Arms up and stationary? I don't think so.

JetMetFan Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:42am

9-1-3c says opponents shall not disconcert the shooter. That's it. A dictionary definition of the word is "disturb the compusure of." Your partner obviously felt the opponent's arms in the air met the definition. I don't and I'm sure many on the forum don't either.

If the opponent lowered his arms or waved them as A1 was shooting, that's another story. But if he starts the FT with them raised and keeps them that way I'm leaving that alone.

grunewar Fri Jan 18, 2013 05:03am

"I'VE GOT SHOOTER!" from the player directly adjacent to them right as they are about to release the ball is the one I get the most....albeit not THAT often..

RookieDude Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 872799)
"I'VE GOT SHOOTER!" from the player directly adjacent to them right as they are about to release the ball is the one I get the most....albeit not THAT often..

We had a "transfer" official come to our association this year from parts unknown. I have enjoyed talking with him and helping him with the way things are in "these parts".

It is kind of interesting to hear how things are handled in other areas.

Early in the year, I was working a MS game with him to get a feel for "where he was at".

He was L, administering the FT, when I heard him tell the players..."no talking after I bounce the ball to the shooter." At the next break, I asked him where he came up with that. He said that was standard practice where he came from. I told him there wasn't really rule support for that...and he didn't need to tell players that here.

He shook his head, said "OK" and away we went.

He will make a fine Varsity official in this part of Rome. ;)

BillyMac Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:35am

I Hate It When That Happens ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 872809)
I heard him tell the players, "No talking after I bounce the ball to the shooter."

Did he also say, "Let it hit the rim."?

RookieDude Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 872812)
Did he also say, "Let it hit the rim."?

...don't think so.

But, "Let it hit", would be cool. :cool:

Adam Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 872799)

This usually stops when, right before the next free throw, I pause and ask the defense, "Everyone know who has the shooter?"

Rich Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 872829)
...don't think so.

But, "Let it hit", would be cool. :cool:

So would, "Two."