The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time Outs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93563-time-outs.html)

TravisFL Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:43pm

Time Outs

Blue is in possession of the ball in their back-court and White's HC calls a timeout, the trail blows the whistle dead and starts to signal the a 60 second timeout. The trail realizes his mistake he rules it an inadvertent whistle and does not allow White the time out.

Is this correct?

APG Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:45pm

NFHS: Casebook play 5.8.3 SITUATION E

Raymond Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisFL (Post 872698)
Blue is in possession of the ball in their back-court and White's HC calls a timeout, the trail blows the whistle dead and starts to signal the a 60 second timeout. The trail realizes his mistake he rules it an inadvertent whistle and does not allow White the time out.

Is this correct?

Not at the HS level.

HawkeyeCubP Thu Jan 17, 2013 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872709)
Not at the HS level.

I believe there's an NCAA A.R. that states that the OP ruling would not be correct for college, either, per se.

ref3808 Thu Jan 17, 2013 05:57pm

No.

Raymond Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 872750)
I believe there's an NCAA A.R. that states that the OP ruling would not be correct for college, either, per se.

I can't find a current A.R. but I believe it supposed to be ruled an IW.

HawkeyeCubP Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872761)
I can't find a current A.R. but I believe it supposed to be ruled an IW.

It's in there, and you're correct in the ruling being an IW, but the AR states that the protocol is to subsequently ask if the HC would then like the time out anyway.

bainsey Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22am

Perfect timing. I made this very mistake today.

Ball was in the air on a pass, and I hear a frustrated coach's TO request. I wait for the catch, hear the request again, tweet. I immediately knew I kicked it. The other coach had that "he can't do that!" look in his eyes. I explained that, since the ball was dead, I have to honor the request, and I apologized. That's all you can do.

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 872776)
That's all you can do.

I've done it too. The only thing I do is try not to do it again.

#olderthanilook Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14am

I don't want to start another thread about time outs, so I'll ask my question in this thread.

Please post a rule book or case play reference regarding a player calling timeout as they leave the playing court with possession of the ball.

APG Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 872885)
I don't want to start another thread about time outs, so I'll ask my question in this thread.

Please post a rule book or case play reference regarding a player calling timeout as they leave the playing court with possession of the ball.

Post a rule that prohibits or limits a player from having a timeout granted with regard to leaving the court (assuming you're speaking NFHS rules). That should be a hint about this play...

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20am

Quote:

Like when they're airborne heading out of bounds and they're trying to save a possession?

There's not 1 rule reference for this: you'd have to stitch together player control and player location.

#olderthanilook Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 872890)
Post a rule that prohibits or limits a player from having a timeout granted with regard to leaving the court (assuming you're speaking NFHS rules). That should be a hint about this play...

I need a hint where to find a reference in the NFHS rules and/or case play books. :D;)

Adam Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 872892)
I need a hint where to find a reference in the NFHS rules and/or case play books. :D;)

There isn't one.

PG_Ref Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:27am

Quote:

5.8.3 SITUATION D:

A1 or A2 requests a time-out: (a) while airborne A1 is holding the ball; (b) while A1's throw-in is in flight toward A2; or (c) when the ball is on the floor at A1's disposal for a throw-in.

RULING: The request is granted in (a) and (c), but denied in (b), as there is no player control while the ball is loose between players.