The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Strange night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93539-strange-night.html)

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:05am

Strange night

Last night I had what was probably the strangest game of my career. In a girl's JV game, where neither team was particular talented and both teams couldn't stop fouling, I had both a goal scored at the opponent's basket and an intentional foul for contacting the thrower-in outside of the line. I believe that's the third and first times, respectively, I've seen these things happen in the 15 or so years I've been refereeing.

What's the strangest thing you've seen happen?

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:43am

Resting on the flange on a free throw.

Twice I've had a held ball before the arrow was set. Both times there was surprise when I designated the jumpers.

Adam Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 872408)

Twice I've had a held ball before the arrow was set. Both times there was surprise when I designated the jumpers.

Before last season, I'd had this once. I had it three times last season.

Treeguy Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:53am

Quote:

Resting on the flange on a free throw.

I had my first one of these last week. I threw the ball up and it got knocked around for a few seconds before it became a jump ball. I looked at my partner and asked him if he has a possession and he did not. By the time I looked back, the players had already broke up and I did not designate the jumpers. I just called for a rejump. luckily, no one else knew the rule (including my partner) and nothing was said.

bainsey Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02am

I've had both of those things you've had, East, but in the same game? You'll remember that one for a while.

Strangest one this year for me: FOUR plane violations in a game.

Loudwhistle2 Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03am

I once saw a player attempt a three from the left side corner and the ball wedged on the far side of the rim! I've never seen that one again, twice I've seen the ball rest on the flange. Last year we had a game where the ball bounced up and rolled across the top of the backboard and then "fell" off right down through the basket. Of course on the last situation about half the crowd went nuts saying the ball was out of bounds!

Zoochy Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15am

Quote:

Held ball before the arrow was set. Both times there was surprise when I designated the jumpers.

This play was discussed at a meeting before the season started. The speakers and the State assigned interperter said that the new Jump ball was between the original jumpers:eek:

Adam Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 872440)
This play was discussed at a meeting before the season started. The speakers and the State assigned interperter said that the new Jump ball was between the original jumpers:eek:

Has anyone bothered to point them to the rule?

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 872440)

It miiiiiight be.... lol

Terrapins Fan Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16am

I talked to a friend who refereed a game, I read in the paper they had 55 total fouls.

I asked him about it, they had a Double foul, a double T, a Flagrant foul with an ejection and a coach ejected.

Now that's got to be a record....

Zoochy Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 872442)
It miiiiiight be.... lol

You are right. It miiiiiiiight be if the ball goes OOB from the original jump and A1 and B1 touched the ball at the same time.
But if A2 and B2 control the ball w/o either establishing control then A2 and B2 rejump. If A2 and B2 touch the ball at the same time then the ball goes OOB then A2 and B2 rejump.
They said ALL of the above plays have A1 and B1 rejump.
NO! no one(but me) spoke up. I got an earfull after the meeting.

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 872447)
You are right. It miiiiiiiight be if the ball goes OOB from the original jump and A1 and B1 touched the ball at the same time.
But if A2 and B2 control the ball w/o either establishing control then A2 and B2 rejump. If A2 and B2 touch the ball at the same time then the ball goes OOB then A2 and B2 rejump.
They said ALL of the above plays have A1 and B1 rejump.
NO! no one(but me) spoke up. I got an earfull after the meeting.

The earful should be praise.

ODog Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 872450)
The earful should be praise.

Seriously. WTF could they possibly have said to you? Were they just pissed you "embarrassed" the interpreter in a room full of people instead of in private afterward?

Freddy Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02pm

A Meager Contribution to the Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 872407)
What's the strangest thing you've seen happen?

Picked up a brownish object from its backcourt location and carried it to the scorer's table thinking it was a Baby Ruth or Tootsie Roll, which it wasn't.
But we've all heard that before. :o

OKREF Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36pm

Two years ago. Girls JH game loose ball off a rebound. Two opposing girls jump for the ball. Neither gets it. They return to the floor. Ball goes
out of bounds. I notice something on the floor. I think it is red gum. I go over and it is a bloody female product. Almost picked it up before I realized what it was.