The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   LV at UConn rule misapplications (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93524-lv-uconn-rule-misapplications.html)

Nevadaref Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:03pm

LV at UConn rule misapplications

The crew misapplied two rules during this contest:
A. About 10:30 remaining TWO officials whistle and signal offensive BI for a player grasping the ring who reaches out and grabs the ball which was nowhere near the cylinder. Call should have been a T. Class B.
B. with just over 1:30 left LV has the ball. It gets knocked away by a defender and then strikes the LV player before going into bc. The covering official gives the "tip" signal and does not call a bc violation.

Perhaps it has something to do with UConn games this season!

grunewar Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:18pm

My son told me about Play A. Made me go, Hmmmm as I quizzed him about BI vs GT. Glad his account was accurate as it didn't sound right. But, I guess it was!

JRutledge Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:25pm

I do not consider the second one a misapplication of the rules, I consider that a missed judgment. I am not sure he saw the touch of the leg. He was signaling rather quick.

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 872225)
I do not consider the second one a misapplication of the rules, I consider that a missed judgment. I am not sure he saw the touch of the leg. He was signaling rather quick.

Peace

More times than not, in this case, it is a misapplication. I've seen it too many times when the contact was obvious where it couldn't be chalked up to judgement.

JRutledge Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 872247)
More times than not, in this case, it is a misapplication. I've seen it too many times when the contact was obvious where it couldn't be chalked up to judgement.

I think in most of these cases the only way you know it is a misapplication of the rule based on not knowing the rule is talking to the official. I also think officials often do not want to "guess" on a play like this either.

Peace

JetMetFan Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:05pm

Play #1

Quote:

A. About 10:30 remaining TWO officials whistle and signal offensive BI for a player grasping the ring who reaches out and grabs the ball which was nowhere near the cylinder. Call should have been a T. Class B.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qCcZyym2ypE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beemer Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:11pm

Why...?

Why would a person even call that BI or a T? He attempted a shot, missed, didn't hang on the rim, and his hand released the rim before the gained control of the ball. Making a mountain out of a mole-hill to me. You shouldn't call a travel either, because he did attempt a shot, and he is allowed to get his own rebound even if it doesn't hit the rim.

Raymond Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 872347)
... You shouldn't call a travel either, ...

They should have called travelling on the guard who passed him the ball. I have nothing as far as BI or grasping the ring.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:57pm

NFHS: 10-3-4a

The moment he used the rim to swing to the other side for the rebound while hanging on the rim with the other hand, he lost he privilege of grasping the rim for safety and stepped into the area of gaining an advantage by contact with the rim. If he had instead let go and fell to the floor, he wouldn't have been in position for the rebound....white #2 would have got it. Personally, I think that BI would be the just ruling (but it isn't actually BI).

Quote:

SECTION 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL
A player shall not:
ART. 3 . . . Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.
ART. 4 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:
a. Placing a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.

Texref Tue Jan 15, 2013 07:31pm

I don't have anything on the first play.

Welpe Tue Jan 15, 2013 09:18pm

I agree with Camron, I'd have a T.

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 15, 2013 09:24pm

I'm leaning towards nothing.

JetMetFan Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11pm

and Play #2

Quote:

B. with just over 1:30 left LV has the ball. It gets knocked away by a defender and then strikes the LV player before going into bc. The covering official gives the "tip" signal and does not call a bc violation.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yUA1YHJlrkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872350)
They should have called travelling on the guard who passed him the ball. I have nothing as far as BI or grasping the ring.

Agreed, that is what I was thinking when I saw this play.

Play #2 I saw live and thought this was clearly missed. I just think a lot of officials simply give the benefit of the doubt for a touch by the defense and consider it a tip and never call the violation.

Peace

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 872353)
NFHS: 10-3-4a

The moment he used the rim to swing to the other side for the rebound while hanging on the rim with the other hand, he lost he privilege of grasping the rim for safety and stepped into the area of gaining an advantage by contact with the rim. If he had instead let go and fell to the floor, he wouldn't have been in position for the rebound....white #2 would have got it. Personally, I think that BI would be the just ruling (but it isn't actually BI).

I don't see him as using the rim to swing. I see an attempted dunk, a released rim and a rebound. Given that he attempted a dunk, I would need to see some secondary action that was not part of the momentum of the dunk before I would feel that he had illegally contacted the rim and I just don't see that here.

In other words, I do think he let go and fell to the floor. You seem to think that he should have fell straight down but his momentum was towards the basket so unless he used the rim to check his momentum he's going to fall to the other side of the basket, like we see in the video.

It's nothing for me.

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 872397)
Agreed, that is what I was thinking when I saw this play.

Play #2 I saw live and thought this was clearly missed. I just think a lot of officials simply give the benefit of the doubt for a touch by the defense and consider it a tip and never call the violation.

Peace

Agreed.

OKREF Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:22am

Play 1. Travel on #2, nothing on the dunk.

Play 2. It looks to me that the official got straightlined and didn't get a good look at the ball hitting the leg.

knockitoff Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:36am

Leads Signal?

Should lead be calling this? And mirroring?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 872417)
Play 1. Travel on #2, nothing on the dunk.

Play 2. It looks to me that the official got straightlined and didn't get a good look at the ball hitting the leg.

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by knockitoff (Post 872423)
Should lead be calling this? And mirroring?

No. And no one should be using the "swirlie signal."

Raymond Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872425)
I agree

No. And no one should be using the "swirlie signal."

You tell Doug Shows he can't use the 'swirlie' signal.

knockitoff Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:53am

When I saw them mirroring the BI, the swirlie's and the Lead w/ his "honk your horn!" motions, I started looking for a disco-crystal ball to drop in to the screen.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 872347)
Why would a person even call that BI or a T? He attempted a shot, missed, didn't hang on the rim, and his hand released the rim before the gained control of the ball. Making a mountain out of a mole-hill to me. You shouldn't call a travel either, because he did attempt a shot, and he is allowed to get his own rebound even if it doesn't hit the rim.

But he did hang on the rim - long enough to help himself swing toward the ball... and "before he gained control of the ball" is not the measure here - before he began his attempt to reach the ball would be more accurate (and the fact that he did NOT release the rim before attempting to get the ball is the reason for the clear violation).

I hope this video is used in training.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 872406)
I don't see him as using the rim to swing. I see an attempted dunk, a released rim and a rebound. Given that he attempted a dunk, I would need to see some secondary action that was not part of the momentum of the dunk before I would feel that he had illegally contacted the rim and I just don't see that here.

In other words, I do think he let go and fell to the floor. You seem to think that he should have fell straight down but his momentum was towards the basket so unless he used the rim to check his momentum he's going to fall to the other side of the basket, like we see in the video.
It's nothing for me.

Watch it again. watch the 1st replay, and pause your screen the second the hands hit the rim. Decide for yourself where his natural landing point is... and then unpause. He swings a good solid foot, perhaps a foot and a half, toward the ball before landing.

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17am

I've got nothing as far as BI

ODog Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872425)
And no one should be using the "swirlie signal."

I don't do college, so it doesn't come up all that often, but this is an honest question: What is the approved signal for BI and/or goaltending?

I think if it ever came up in a HS game, I'd probably reflexively do the swirlie motion, but I don't want to be "that guy" if it's a fake signal.

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872455)
Watch it again. watch the 1st replay, and pause your screen the second the hands hit the rim. Decide for yourself where his natural landing point is... and then unpause. He swings a good solid foot, perhaps a foot and a half, toward the ball before landing.

His natural landing point if the rim hadn't been there or his natural landing point given that he just tried to dunk the ball? I do not see him use the ring to adjust his flight in response to missing the dunk.

Rich Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872428)
You tell Doug Shows he can't use the 'swirlie' signal.

I have no issue with the swirlie. Everybody knows what it means.

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 872468)
I don't do college, so it doesn't come up all that often, but this is an honest question: What is the approved signal for BI and/or goaltending?

I think if it ever came up in a HS game, I'd probably reflexively do the swirlie motion, but I don't want to be "that guy" if it's a fake signal.

There isn't one. For me, after stopping the clock, point at either the offender or the basket, state "That's basket interference." and give the other team's direction/signal for points to be awarded.

ODog Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872478)
I have no issue with the swirlie. Everybody knows what it means.

Everybody knows what it means when an official says "on the floor" too. Doesn't make it right. I just want to know the right signal (if there is one).

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 872481)
Everybody knows what it means when an official says "on the floor" too. Doesn't make it right. I just want to know the right signal (if there is one).

The problem with saying "on the floor" is that it helps spread the belief that a player can't be in the act of shooting if they're on the floor (and as a side note, it's been my experience that those that do say "on the floor" are incorrectly not awarding free throws when they should be). The NBA signal for basket interference does no such thing.

Rich Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 872481)

There's a difference, as APG said. On the floor is frequently incorrect from a rules perspective.

There is no signal on the chart specifically for BI.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 872476)
His natural landing point if the rim hadn't been there or his natural landing point given that he just tried to dunk the ball? I do not see him use the ring to adjust his flight in response to missing the dunk.

Either one, actually.

icallfouls Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 872406)

It's nothing for me.

Agreed. His momentum was going to place him in that approximate area.

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872487)
Either one, actually.

Well, we just see this differently then.

Adam Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 872489)
Agreed. His momentum was going to place him in that approximate area.

That's how I see it. I don't see his direction changed significantly enough to warrant a T. No way I get BI on this, the ball was down by his knees when he caught it.

I had one this summer where the would-be dunker hung up there, reached up and grabbed the ball as it was well above the rim. It was probably slightly outside the cylinder, but we went with BI rather than the T.

icallfouls Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 872494)
That's how I see it. I don't see his direction changed significantly enough to warrant a T. No way I get BI on this, the ball was down by his knees when he caught it.

I had one this summer where the would-be dunker hung up there, reached up and grabbed the ball as it was well above the rim. It was probably slightly outside the cylinder, but we went with BI rather than the T.

Had that very play a few years ago. Player, now at UNLV, stayed on the rim and with the ball above the cylinder, grabbed the ball with off hand, and tried to dunk it.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 872494)

It isn't just the change of direction but the fact that he was suspended in air, briefly, by the rim grab and was able to get his other arm out to try to catch the rebound while hanging on the rim. He didn't let go then, in a separate action, try to catch the ball.

You might also want to watch the video again. He may have bobbled the ball and only controlled it when it was at his knees, but he got his hand on it when it was still above his head and just after he let go....long before it got to his knees.

Adam Wed Jan 16, 2013 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 872498)
It isn't just the change of direction but the fact that he was suspended in air, briefly, by the rim grab and was able to get his other arm out to catch the rebound while hanging on the rim. He didn't let go then catch the ball.

You might also want to watch the video again. He may have bobbled the ball and only controlled it when it was at his knees, but he got his hand on it when it was still above his head and just after he let go....long before it got to his knees.

Fair enough, but WRT the T, he didn't hang on the rim long enough that a T would have been called with no one under him. I'm not sure I could justify that call.

Did he gain an advantage by hanging there? I'm not sure he hung long enough to say he did, since he released the rim almost immediately.

WRT BI, I may have exaggerated with the "knees," but the ball was below the rim and nowhere near the cylinder when he first touched it.

icallfouls Wed Jan 16, 2013 02:11pm

Quote:

It isn't just the change of direction but the fact that he was suspended in air, briefly, by the rim grab and was able to get his other arm out to try to catch the rebound while hanging on the rim. He didn't let go then, in a separate action, try to catch the ball.

Most players dunking the ball don't come down immediately, the act of grabbing the rim slows their descent. Specific gravity does not apply until they are no longer in contact with the rim. He did not catch the ball while in contact with the rim

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:00pm

Quote:

At this point you're calling a T on him for grabbing the rim on a dunk.

He did not hang on the rim for an inappropriate amount of time. He didn't use the rim for leverage to reach a position he otherwise would not have reached after the attempted dunk (no second action on the rim). Yes, he hung there briefly after attempting to dunk. No, that is not illegally contacting the rim.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 872514)
At this point you're calling a T on him for grabbing the rim on a dunk.

He did not hang on the rim for an inappropriate amount of time. He didn't use the rim for leverage to reach a position he otherwise would not have reached after the attempted dunk (no second action on the rim). Yes, he hung there briefly after attempting to dunk. No, that is not illegally contacting the rim.

Agree...he legally grasped the rim and didn't hang on so long that it became illegal. But legally grabbing the rim doesn't allow him to use it for further advantage in going for a rebound while doing so. That is the distinction. And it is not BI by any reading of the rules...although I think that would be a more just call than the T.

knockitoff Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:29am

Actually, more like the State Farm Insurance commercial, where the 2 "arena dudes" are lassoeing and "competitive cheering" and frolicking w/ ea. other, than the disco-ball...although Shows looks alot like Travolta in SNF.