The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jim Burr (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93484-jim-burr.html)

Tio Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03pm

Jim Burr

So let me preface this with Jim Burr is one of my favorite officials of all-time. He has an amazing resume and has been at the top of the officiating field for several generations... a feat that IMO is unequaled in officiating.

But! Did anyone see him administer a throw-in at the division line with the other 2 officials at the table reviewing the monitor? Guess he wanted to ref the rest of the game solo!

Tio Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03pm

Was in last night's Michigan State @ Iowa game.

Indianaref Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44pm

I like Jim Burr, I think he is still one of the best, big faux pas on his part.

Question to forum members: During the J'ville/Indiana game a couple weeks ago, I saw Jim Burr stop a live ball (with no Action), with J'ville possessing ball, to warn the J'ville coach. Is this something that you would/could do?

JRutledge Fri Jan 11, 2013 01:12pm

I would not do that because I am not Jim Burr. It is that simple.

Peace

tjones1 Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 871662)

Peace

Well said - ditto!

dahoopref Fri Jan 11, 2013 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 871662)

Peace

Separated at birth?? :D

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/J...128InHwSsl.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d9CKEYsBT_...8280158767.jpg

BillyMac Fri Jan 11, 2013 04:22pm

Damn The Moderators, Full Speed Ahead ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 871729)
Separated at birth??

Chuck Norris? Really? Now that seals it. As soon as I get home from my game tonight, I'm posting that Jackson Five video, and you guys are going to enjoy it. And if you don't enjoy it, well, then ... tough. Yeah. Tough.

AremRed Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:15am

Just got back from the Butler-Providence game tonight. Jim Burr, Brian O'Connell, and Gary Prager worked the game. As I was driving out of the parking lot after a 20 minute traffic jam I saw this short, stubby man wrapped in a heavy coat and hat hurrying across the lot, dragging a small beat-up suitcase. I immediately knew it was Burr so I rolled down my window and yelled "Hey Jim!". The man looked up at me kinda startled and I continued "Good game!". The man half-laughed and said "thanks man" in this unbelievably silky southern drawl, and I drove off.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 07, 2015 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949026)
Just got back from the Butler-Providence game tonight. Jim Burr, Brian O'Connell, and Gary Prager worked the game. As I was driving out of the parking lot after a 20 minute traffic jam I saw this short, stubby man wrapped in a heavy coat and hat hurrying across the lot, dragging a small beat-up suitcase. I immediately knew it was Burr so I rolled down my window and yelled "Hey Jim!". The man looked up at me kinda startled and I continued "Good game!". The man half-laughed and said "thanks man" in this unbelievably silky southern drawl, and I drove off.

That wasn't Jim Burr. Jim is a born and bred New Yorker (upstate I do believe). My wife has met him a half a dozen times (that is another story) and I heard him a give one time. No southern drawl.

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Wed Jan 07, 2015 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949032)
That wasn't Jim Burr. Jim is a born and bred New Yorker (upstate I do believe). My wife has met him a half a dozen times (that is another story) and I heard him a give one time. No southern drawl.

MTD, Sr.

I was thinking the same thing. He was always an east coast guy.

Peace

AremRed Wed Jan 07, 2015 01:48am

Quote:

Sounded southern to me but it was definitely Burr.

Raymond Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949035)

Syracuse guy, I believe. I met a dude in a bar one night who had his HS games officiated by Jim Burr and some other notable officials from that area.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949035)

I don't doubt you saw Jim Burr, but Jim does not speak with a southern drawl.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:16am

Quote:

My wife has met him a half a dozen times (that is another story)...

Was that the first time you heard someone yell "Over the back"? :D

Just kidding.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 949069)
Was that the first time you heard someone yell "Over the back"? :D

Just kidding.

No. When we returned to Toledo in September 1984, my better half went to work as an administrative assistant to a VP of a bank called The Toledo Trust Co. After about three mergers it was now called Key Bank which was a bank from New York. When it became Key Bank, the VP she for whom she was now a executive assistant was from New York and Jim Burr was an old friend of his. And every time Burr would pass through Toledo on an officiating trip he would stop and in and have visit and have lunch with her boss.

MTD, Sr.