The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 seconds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93474-3-seconds.html)

Upward ref Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:42pm

3 seconds

How about this one i've encountered but I haven't been able to ask our interpreter:
I don't believe it's supported by the rules but I've been told by a few refs that if a shot doesn't hit the rim it's not a shot and the 3 second count should continue . (With the younger boys and girls up to 8th grade and NFHS rules.)
I Don't want to over do it because in my opinion the 3 second rule is largely ignored in most of the H S games I've watched, not mentioned much locally, and rarely called by most of the partners I've worked with in jv. Also been advised /warned not to give warnings in the lane as the other coach will start hollering about giving them help or coaching the opponent.

Adam Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:02pm

Team control is required for a 3 second count.
Team control ends as soon as a try is released.
That should answer the rule aspect.

As for the rest, that's going to be local. Here, we're told to talk them out, especially early.

I'm saddened that more than one veteran official hasn't bothered to learn the 3 second rule.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 871443)
Team control is required for a 3 second count.
Team control ends as soon as a try is released.
That should answer the rule aspect.

As for the rest, that's going to be local. Here, we're told to talk them out, especially early.

I'm saddened that more than one veteran official hasn't bothered to learn the 3 second rule.

And a try is an attempt to put it in the basket regardless of where it ends up or how close it gets.

Upward ref Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:11pm

For me the question is ; if it didn't hit the rim, then it was a pass,therefore still team control, keep counting. I disagree but that's what I've "heard" . I only find 4-41-2
Stating "the officials judgement" whether its a try or not.

Adam Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 871448)
For me the question is ; if it didn't hit the rim, then it was a pass,therefore still team control, keep counting. I disagree but that's what I've "heard" . I only find 4-41-2

Then they should look up the definition of a try. As Camron notes, it says nothing about where it ends up. I'm guessing these guys would also call a travel if a shooter rebounds his own airball.

JetMetFan Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 871448)

If you, your partner and everyone else in the gym believes it was a try, then it was a try and all the applicable rules apply...including the loss of team control when the ball was released.

I'll echo Adam...shameful that a veteran official would not know this. How much of a "veteran" is he anyway?

BTW Adam, I had the airball-caught-by-shooter-other-team-thinks-it's-travel play in my game today.

Coach: "He can't do that!"
Me: "Coach, what did the player do with the ball?"
Coach: "He shot it."
Me: "So that means he caught his own rebound."
Coach: "But what about 3 seconds."
Me: "That ends with the shot attempt."

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 871468)
I'll echo Adam...shameful that a veteran official would not know this. How much of a "veteran" is he anyway?

Probably one of those ones with 2 years of experience 10 times.

just another ref Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:11pm

Quote:

If you, your partner and everyone else in the gym believes it was a try, then it was a try and all the applicable rules apply...

Almost right. We really don't care what everyone else believes.

Adam Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:19pm

Quote:

If you, your partner and everyone else in the gym believes it was a try, then it was a try and all the applicable rules apply...including the loss of team control when the ball was released.

BTW Adam, I had the airball-caught-by-shooter-other-team-thinks-it's-travel play in my game today.

Coach: "He can't do that!"
Me: "Coach, what did the player do with the ball?"
Coach: "He shot it."
Me: "So that means he caught his own rebound."
Coach: "But what about 3 seconds."
Me: "That ends with the shot attempt."

Had a partner call it last year.

It was right in front of me (L in 2 man). I got with him quick and asked exactly what he had. We gave it back to A on the endline.

Raymond Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13pm

Upward Ref has my email address and obviously didn't ask this local ref. :mad:

BillyMac Fri Jan 11, 2013 07:52am

Who You Gonna Call ???

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player in the lane to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. There is a three-second count while an offensive player has one foot in the lane and one foot outside of the lane, and it’s a violation if the player lifts the foot in the lane so that neither foot is touching the paint. It’s a violation for a player to step out of bounds in an attempt to avoid a three second violation. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

Note: The Mythbusters team includes the word "advantage" in the paragraph regarding three seconds. Many may want to ignore, or delete, the word "advantage". Less chance for a lengthly online debate that way.

JRutledge Fri Jan 11, 2013 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 871490)
Upward Ref has my email address and obviously didn't ask this local ref. :mad:

He knows now. :D

Peace

tomegun Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 871469)
Probably one of those ones with 2 years of experience 10 times.

+1

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Upward ref Fri Jan 11, 2013 04:59pm

Be nice now , it's only our church league ! I'm not much but I'm the only NFHS
Official in the building.

youngump Fri Jan 11, 2013 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 871562)
There is a three-second count while an offensive player has one foot in the lane and one foot outside of the lane, and it’s a violation if the player lifts the foot in the lane so that neither foot is touching the paint.

I don't believe you mean what you say in this sentence. Perhaps you mean that the three second count continues while the foot is above the key. But surely you don't call a violation for standing with a foot outside the key and a foot in the air above the key.