The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lost time out... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93424-lost-time-out.html)

icallfouls Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:23pm

Lost time out...

College game last night.

Visiting team is making a comeback from 22 down and have cut the lead to 5 with 4 minutes to go and the teams are trading baskets.

With 1:13 to go Home team gets trapped on the sideline and has to call their last TO. My partners are taking care of the TO administration and having a discussion on the opposite side of the floor. The table crew has told them that the home team still has 1 time out left.

I am observing the home team and the coach tells his team they are out of TO's - as both teams are tracking them. One of my partners is telling the home team that they still have 1 TO left. I go over and tell them that the coach thinks he has no TO's left. The book does a quick recheck, 1 TO left for the home team. Can you smell the home cooking?

Coach has asked R, so if I call TO, you are not going to T me? "no, the book says you have one left"

R explains this to visiting team as well and we get ready to inbound the ball. I bounce the ball to the inbounder, who has trouble getting ball in, but does so on 4 count. Visitors trap the ball near midcourt, clock does not start for 4 or 5 seconds, the home team is able to split the trap and make a pass, AND the shot clock had been reset when the ball was caught by the home team. I remember looking at the clock 1:13 left and :13 left. The T and the C kill the play.

Now that we have fixed everything, the table sounds the horn. "I found the last TO, home team is out of TO's"

Both coaches are difficult in the best of situations. If home team had called a TO, the visiting coach likely goes crazy saying that the extra time out should be TF. If we TF the excessive TO, the home coach goes bananas which might get another TF.

Maybe we should start carrying pad and pen like football/soccer to track TO's ourselves? :)

just another ref Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 870400)
Maybe we should start carrying pad and pen like football/soccer to track TO's ourselves? :)

I'm never gonna do that........ and if the table says they have one left, they subsequently call one, then the table says they didn't have one left, I'm not gonna call a T. jmo

bob jenkins Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:38pm

If the coach thinks s/he has zero TOs left, I'm not getting involved even if I think (or the book thinks) they have 1 left).

And, I do try to track them myself.

BillyMac Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:44pm

Like Sergeant Schultz Would Say ...

I only want the table to tell me when the team has been granted all of their timeouts, or have been granted an excess (illegal) timeout. I will only tell the coach when his team has been granted all of their timeouts, or when his team has been granted an excess (illegal) timeout. This keeps me out of trouble.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8105U1WY9ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2013 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870409)
I only want the table to tell me when the team has been granted all of their timeouts, or have been granted an excess (illegal) timeout. I will only tell the coach when his team has been granted all of their timeouts, or when his team has been granted an excess (illegal) timeout. This keeps me out of trouble.

Basically, if the table makes a mistake and tells the coach he has one timeout left, he calls it, then they say he had none, you're in the clear because you weren't involved? So you think the appropriate thing to do in that sitch is assess the T since there's no blood on your hands? Is that what you're saying?

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Jan 06, 2013 02:57pm

wow that is one bad official scorer! was the AD of the host institution notified that he should probably start looking for a replacement official scorer? icall-your crew handled this perfectly IMHO

Freddy Sun Jan 06, 2013 03:09pm

Tell me this didn't happen in the state of Washington. Please.
:D

(sorry :p )

jdmara Sun Jan 06, 2013 03:15pm

When there was a question about the number of TO's why wasn't the visiting book consulted to see if they match? Yes, the official book is the official book but why not compare them and practice a little preventative officiating?

-Josh

BillyMac Sun Jan 06, 2013 03:23pm

I Am Innocent Of This Man's Blood (Pontius Pilate) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870412)
Basically, if the table makes a mistake and tells the coach he has one timeout left, he calls it, then they say he had none, you're in the clear because you weren't involved? So you think the appropriate thing to do in that sitch is assess the T since there's no blood on your hands? Is that what you're saying?

God invented assistant coaches to keep their mouths shut, to keep their butts on the bench, and to keep track of granted timeouts. Officials are not expected to know, and communicate, any more timeout information then is required by the rules. If the table communicates the wrong information to the coach, and then the coach requests, and is granted, an excess (illegal) time out, then I don't believe that we can give his team a pass, and that we must charge the team with a technical foul. Even if it's the visiting coach, he still has a scorekeeper at the bench to, hopefully, prevent this situation.

If the table forgot to inform me that the team had been granted their last timeout, with me, obviously, not communicating this to the coach, and then he requested, and was granted, another timeout, at which time the scorekeeper informed me that the coach requested, and was granted, an excess (illegal) timeout, then I would still charge a technical foul to the team. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't believe that invoking 2-3, or advantage/disadvantage is allowed, by rule here, although if an official chose to go this route, I would not point out the undercarriage of a bus to him.

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 06, 2013 03:30pm

There's guy I now that uses an elastic to track TOs and fouls (whether or not we're in the bonus).

He does it because the score keeping is atrocious at times.

To combat the problem in some tournaments that I've worked, where coaches think they have more TOs than what the table shows, I have taught the table that the more you document things, the less chance that a challenge to your record keeping will be made. So I have them record the quarter and time remaining, along with the location of the the ball, when the TO is granted. The look at the scorer's face, when the coach walks away in a huff after given this information, is priceless.

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Jan 06, 2013 03:42pm

When I sit on the bench that's exactly what I do!

Stat-Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 870436)
When there was a question about the number of TO's why wasn't the visiting book consulted to see if they match? Yes, the official book is the official book but why not compare them and practice a little preventative officiating?

-Josh

In my own experiences as a scorekeeper, a number of officials seem to understand the portion of the rule that says the referee shall accept the record of the official score book, but ignore the second half of the sentence that allows the official to rule otherwise in the presence of definitive knowledge.

I was scorekeeper at a MS-G doubleheader a few years back where the home team had no scorer at the table for the 7th grade game and the start of the 8th grade game. It was until the final period when it looked as if the home team took an excessive timeout that someone suddenly appeared with a score book claiming that the home team still had a time out left.

I tried to question how that book could be accurate since the book wasn't there to start the game and could not have accurate information for both teams (because nobody was around for me to submit our roster to) and such, but the referee was steadfast that the home book is always the official book and whatever is in it stands. :mad:

Quote:

So I have them record the quarter and time remaining, along with the location of the the ball, when the TO is granted. The look at the scorer's face, when the coach walks away in a huff after given this information, is priceless.
I always record time/period/who asked when granted. It's helped out in the past. At an old rec tournament I used to score at. A team was sure they had more time outs left, but when I read off when each one was taken and by whom, that was persuasive enough for the officials.

JRutledge Sun Jan 06, 2013 04:30pm

This is why I am not a fan of telling coaches what they have on my own. I do not try to find out and I do not try to tell everyone what the situation is as a normal practice. The teams should be following this on their own and if there is an issue then we can get involved, but as a general rule, I stay out of these. But people feel like this is so important and do it and here is why I want to stay out of these bookkeeping issue.

Peace

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2013 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870442)
God invented assistant coaches to keep their mouths shut, to keep their butts on the bench, and to keep track of granted timeouts. Officials are not expected to know, and communicate, any more timeout information then is required by the rules. If the table communicates the wrong information to the coach, and then the coach requests, and is granted, an excess (illegal) time out, then I don't believe that we can give his team a pass, and that we must charge the team with a technical foul. Even if it's the visiting coach, he still has a scorekeeper at the bench to, hopefully, prevent this situation.

If the table forgot to inform me that the team had been granted their last timeout, with me, obviously, not communicating this to the coach, and then he requested, and was granted, another timeout, at which time the scorekeeper informed me that the coach requested, and was granted, an excess (illegal) timeout, then I would still charge a technical foul to the team. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't believe that invoking 2-3, or advantage/disadvantage is allowed, by rule here, although if an official chose to go this route, I would not point out the undercarriage of a bus to him.

IOW, you have no interest in managing the game. You have no interest in communicating with the table or coaches. You have no interest in preventative officiating. You're just out there to blow your whistle.

That's not an acceptable mode of operation here.

Thanks.

JetMetFan Sun Jan 06, 2013 04:47pm

Quote:

The table crew has told them that the home team still has 1 time out left.

My handy dandy CCA manual (NCAAW) says "Notify the head coach of the team that has called its final timeout." So...we say nothing.

There's really nothing positive that can come from telling a coach they have a timeout when they don't think they do and the table isn't sure. If they - the coach - think they're out, no one tries to call one. If we tell them they have one then they call it and during the TO the table says, "ummm, they actually didn't have one" then we have to charge that team with an administrative T. The penalty is even worse in my code since the other team gets the ball.

If the situation is reversed - table says no TO, we give that information to the coach and the coach believes he/she has one - then it'll be figured out right then and there.

As was said earlier, this is what assistant coaches are for. Regarding the table: in a college game there are two scorers and a play-by-play person sitting there. The official NCAA scorebook also includes space to write down who called a timeout and when. I would think one of those folks should've been able to figure out what was wrong fairly quickly.

BillyMac Sun Jan 06, 2013 05:04pm

Sixth Time Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870455)
You have no interest in managing the game. You have no interest in communicating with the table or coaches. You have no interest in preventative officiating. You're just out there to blow your whistle.

In reference to timeouts, maybe. If a coach, for whatever reason, is misinformed regarding the number, if any, of his timeouts remaining, and if he requests, and is granted, a sixth time out in regulation, I won't charge the technical foul right away. I will get together with both scorekeepers, as well as my partner, to try to get the most definitive information possible, and maybe determine the cause of the mistaken communication. However, if it's his sixth timeout in regulation, I will charge the technical foul, to not do so would put the other team at a disadvantage, unless of course, you are also going to give the other team an "extra" timeout.

And what if that sixth timeout was requested, and granted, to avoid a ten second violation, a probable turnover, when the official's count was up to nine, with the ball still deep in the backcourt? Do you think that the opposing coach is going to be pleased with the other team getting "extra" timeout to avoid a violation, and probable turnover, without any penalty? I think not.

Or what if the "extra timeout is to avoid a situation where his player is trapped by two defenders, against a boundary corner, with a turnover, by a steal, or a five second violation, very probable? "Extra" timeout allowed? Again, I think not.

Rarely do additional wrongs make up for a previous wrong. Things just get "wronger" and much tougher to explain when your assigning commissioner calls later that night, or the next morning. One can rarely go wrong by following the rules, even after mistakes are made.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2013 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870463)
In reference to timeouts, maybe. If a coach, for whatever reason, is misinformed regarding the number, if any, of his timeouts remaining, and if he requests, and is granted, a sixth time out in regulation, I won't charge the technical foul right away. I will get together with both scorekeepers, as well as my partner, to try to get the most definitive information possible, and maybe determine the cause of the mistaken communication. However, if it's his sixth timeout in regulation, I will charge the technical foul, to not do so would put the other team at a disadvantage, unless of course, you are also going to give the other team an "extra" timeout.

And what if that sixth timeout was requested, and granted, to avoid a ten second violation, a probable turnover, when the official's count was up to nine, with the ball still deep in the backcourt? Do you think that the opposing coach is going to be pleased with the other team getting "extra" timeout to avoid a violation, and probable turnover, without any penalty? I think not.

Or what if the "extra timeout is to avoid a situation where his player is trapped by two defenders, against a boundary corner, with a turnover, by a steal, or a five second violation, very probable? "Extra" timeout allowed? Again, I think not.

Rarely do additional wrongs make up for a precious wrong. Things just get "wronger" and much tougher to explain when your assigning commissioner cal later that night, or the next morning. One can rarely go wrong by following the rule, even after mistakes are made.

You're talking about handling things when the cat is already out of the bag. I'm talking about becoming involved and preventing it from happening to begin with.

Sitting back and ignoring such situations until you get to blow your whistle is exactly what created this situation. You're trying to avoid the situation by ignoring it and taking no ownership of what is going on in your game.

"Well, if I don't know what's going on, I can just sit back, let it happen and then I get to blow my whistle." :(

Manage the game, manage the scorer's table and manage the players and coaches and you prevent such situations from happening.

JetMetFan Sun Jan 06, 2013 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870467)
Manage the game, manage the scorer's table and manage the players and coaches and you prevent such situations from happening.

Based on the OP my question would be what was there to manage? If the crew follows procedure and doesn't say anything to the head coach - since the crew was told the home team had one timeout remaining - there shouldn't be anything else to do at that point.

If that coach doesn't call a TO for the rest of the game, no harm done. If the table tells him he has a TO, he calls one then the scorers figure out he doesn't have one, managing the game means dealing with an excessive timeout.

Forksref Sun Jan 06, 2013 05:44pm

We had a similar situation on Friday night. Visiting team thinks they are out of timeouts. It's a close game near the end and he wants to make sure what he has. I check the home book: 2 TO's left. The visiting book agrees that they have 2 TO's left. We go with the home book. The home coach has no problem with it.

BillyMac Sun Jan 06, 2013 06:19pm

An Ounce Of Prevention ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870467)
You're talking about handling things when the cat is already out of the bag. I'm talking about becoming involved and preventing it from happening to begin with.

Preventive Officiating Regarding Timeouts (Managing The Game With Something Other Then Blowing The Whistle):

1) As the referee, tell both scorekeepers, pregame, to check with each other team points, personal fouls, team fouls, timeouts, warnings, possession arrow, etc., and if there's a discrepancy, to inform the nearest official as soon as possible. With that discrepancy, both officials will do the best they can to discover the cause, and to "fix" any discrepancy, using the rules, definite knowledge, common sense, arithmetic, timekeeper, etc.

2) Near the end of the game, maybe during the third/fourth period intermission, or during any timeouts nearer to the end of the game, to tell both scorekeepers to be sure to inform either official if a team uses it's fifth time out (in regulation), or uses a time out in excess of five timeouts (in regulation).

3) When a team has used their fifth time out (in regulation) to be sure to inform the head coach that his team has "used up" all of their alloted timeouts.

4) Knowing that team has no timeouts remaining, when an official hears the request for a timeout from that bench, take an extra second, or so, to be sure that it is the head coach of that team that is, indeed, requesting that timeout, not a fan behind the bench, or an assistant coach.

That's the way it's done here in my little conner of Connecticut. Skip any of of those four steps, and we're part of the problem, but, if a head coach requests, and is granted, a sixth timeout, his team will be charged with a technical foul, no free passes, it wouldn't be fair to the other team, and, indeed, might put them at a disadvantage not intended by the rules.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2013 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 870474)
Based on the OP my question would be what was there to manage? If the crew follows procedure and doesn't say anything to the head coach - since the crew was told the home team had one timeout remaining - there shouldn't be anything else to do at that point.

If the coach doesn't have any timeouts, then we would have informed him of that. If the table tells the coach he has one timeout remaining and then says he doesn't have any when he calls it, then we haven't managed the game. Ignoring the situation isn't managing it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 06, 2013 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870409)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8105U1WY9ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What you said: +10,000

video: +10,000

MTD, Sr.

just another ref Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870537)
If the coach doesn't have any timeouts, then we would have informed him of that. If the table tells the coach he has one timeout remaining and then says he doesn't have any when he calls it, then we haven't managed the game. Ignoring the situation isn't managing it.

Are you saying you keep up with the number of timeouts as they are used?
(I don't)

Otherwise, the exchange between the coach and the table could happen without our knowledge. Then, the table could discover the mistake? and not tell anyone until the next timeout is called. What could we have done to prevent this?

Here's what I would do at this point:

Table: He doesn't have any timeouts.

Coach: They just told me I did have a timeout.

Me: Table, is this true?

Table: yes.......oops

Me: No T and no timeout. Play ball.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870557)

From the beginning of the 4th quarter going forward, yes.

Even so, if the don't tell me that he's used his last one, he requests one, they tell me he doesn't have anymore but they've told him he does, then we're not going to have a T and we're not going to have a timeout. Let's play.

But the idea that you stand out in the middle of the floor and just ignore the possibility that something might be wrong because "This keeps me out of trouble," is a chicken$hit way of handling it IMO.

icallfouls Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 870425)
wow that is one bad official scorer! was the AD of the host institution notified that he should probably start looking for a replacement official scorer? icall-your crew handled this perfectly IMHO

it could have gotten ugly. we notified our assignor and will let the league handle it. not sure there is anything to do, but we were able to avoid a potentially bad situation

icallfouls Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 870436)

-Josh

Both teams knew the TO situation, I thought I stated as much. That is why we had the discussion with both coaches. But in the end, the official book is where the correct information is supposed to be.

just another ref Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870558)
From the beginning of the 4th quarter going forward, yes.

Even so, if the don't tell me that he's used his last one, he requests one, ]they tell me he doesn't have anymore but they've told him he does, then we're not going to have a T and we're not going to have a timeout. Let's play.

+1

Quote:

But the idea that you stand out in the middle of the floor and just ignore the possibility that something might be wrong because "This keeps me out of trouble," is a chicken$hit way of handling it IMO.
Perhaps there are more delicate ways to put it, :D but it's hard to argue with this.

Raymond Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870557)
(I don't)

I try to. Wish I did a better job at it. Sometimes when I checking the book late in the 2nd half I will check to make sure each scorer has the same time-out count.

JetMetFan Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870537)

JAR beat me to it but the table/coach conversation could have - and probably would have - happened without the crew's knowledge. If he and/or the scorers bring it to our attention of course we'll handle it. But if the table tells the crew one thing and the coach believes another and nothing is said, there's nothing for the crew to do.

As I said earlier, there are more backup systems in an NCAA game to prevent something like this from happening before it gets to the crew. Once it gets to us all those systems have failed and we deal with it.

BillyMac Mon Jan 07, 2013 07:39am

Get Together With The Scorekeepers ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870463)
If a coach, for whatever reason, is misinformed regarding the number, if any, of his timeouts remaining, and if he requests, and is granted, a sixth timeout in regulation, I won't charge the technical foul right away. I will get together with both scorekeepers, as well as my partner, to try to get the most definitive information possible, and maybe determine the cause of the mistaken communication.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870558)

It's pretty tough to stand in the middle of the floor and do what I stated in my quote above.

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:15pm

you know how volleyball officials have to wear those shirts that say "certified volleyball official" on them? well maybe the fed/ncaa should come up with a standard scorekeepers test-those of us who have more than 5 years of service at our schools should be exempted and get the patch automatically.it would say in my state "certified CIF-SS scorekeeper."

JetMetFan Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 870720)
you know how volleyball officials have to wear those shirts that say "certified volleyball official" on them? well maybe the fed/ncaa should come up with a standard scorekeepers test-those of us who have more than 5 years of service at our schools should be exempted and get the patch added to our striped garment automatically.

At that rate you might be the only scorekeeper in the country! :D

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:24pm

I have 7 years of full time varsity experience under my belt.but the idea is for conferences/leagues to get all their scorers together and make sure everyone is on the same page in terms of what we record and how we handle a game.any student scorer should be mandated to pass the test as well as attend the meeting.most of the adults working as scorers in our league have 2 or 3 years experience.

just another ref Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870611)
It's pretty tough to stand in the middle of the floor and do what I stated in my quote above.

Perhaps the concern was that "not getting into trouble" was your primary objective, as opposed to interjecting yourself into a discussion between table and coach. (if necessary, if possible, which it may or may not be) Comparing yourself to Sgt. Schulz did nothing to discourage that impression.

BillyMac Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:31pm

Cold Turkey ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870726)
Comparing yourself to Sgt. Schulz did nothing to discourage that impression.

Yet another reason for me to stop posting images, and videos. Too late for a 2013 New Year's resolution. Maybe I'll make it my resolution for the Chinese New Year, next month. It's going to be the Year of the Water Snake.

just another ref Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 870725)
I have 7 years of full time varsity experience under my belt.but the idea is for conferences/leagues to get all their scorers together and make sure everyone is on the same page in terms of what we record and how we handle a game.any student scorer should be mandated to pass the test as well as attend the meeting.

We appreciate your talent and devotion, but it is difficult to impose restrictions on labor which is, for the most part, unpaid. Around here, scorers and timers are for the most part, depending on the level, either volunteers or teachers pressed into after hours service, some of whom are obviously not excited about being there.

On the other hand, the main problem with the good experienced table personnel is that they take too much upon themselves. Many timers never watch for the official to chop the clock, and there is nothing worse than reporting a foul to a scorer who never looks up, but is already writing in the book.

I warn some on occasion: "Don't assume anything. The call may not have been that "obvious" thing that you saw. If there is a mistake, let it be mine, not yours."

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:45pm

I agree with you about the scorer already recording a foul before it is reported being very annoying.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 07, 2013 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870455)
IOW, you have no interest in managing the game. You have no interest in communicating with the table or coaches. You have no interest in preventative officiating. You're just out there to blow your whistle.

That's not an acceptable mode of operation here.

Thanks.

Seems to me the opposite. You seem to have an interest in overmanaging the game and overcommunicating with the table and coaches. The rulebook doesn't tell you to update the coach on his timeouts except when he runs out. Now you've gone and communicated (improperly) with the coach something that turns out to be in error. And you have no "fair"way out of your conundrum.

I don't believe Mac is just out there to blow his whistle. From previous posts, he seems to know what he's talking about as well as anyone else here. You are railing on him for not doing something that the rulebook doesn't tell him to do. I think you're wrong.

BillyMac Mon Jan 07, 2013 05:53pm

Or Mob Wives ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870731)
Around here, scorers and timers are for the most part, depending on the level, either volunteers or teachers pressed into after hours service, some of whom are obviously not excited about being there.

As a retired teacher, I can tell you that many teachers, at least here in my little corner of Connecticut, are usually lining up for a chance at this paid extracurricular duty. Maybe it's not great pay, but it's better than sitting at home watching Honey Boo Boo on the "boob tube".

BillyMac Mon Jan 07, 2013 05:56pm

East Oshkosh Foul, Number 15, Smith's Second, Team's Fourth ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870731)
There is nothing worse than reporting a foul to a scorer who never looks up, but is already writing in the book.

Yes there is something worse. It's when the game announcer announces the foul before you are finished reporting.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 870738)
Seems to me the opposite. You seem to have an interest in overmanaging the game and overcommunicating with the table and coaches. The rulebook doesn't tell you to update the coach on his timeouts except when he runs out. Now you've gone and communicated (improperly) with the coach something that turns out to be in error. And you have no "fair"way out of your conundrum.

I don't believe Mac is just out there to blow his whistle. From previous posts, he seems to know what he's talking about as well as anyone else here. You are railing on him for not doing something that the rulebook doesn't tell him to do. I think you're wrong.

Please show me where I've posted I update the coach on how many timeouts he has, other than when required.

I'll save you the trouble, I didn't post any such thing nor have I advocated such. I said, I keep up with the timeouts beginning in the fourth quarter. By doing so, hopefully I can avoid a situation like this.

In my opinion, ignoring what two 16 y/o's are doing at the scorer's table because "it keeps me out of trouble" is not the best way to manage a game. You're certainly welcome to disagree with my opinion. And if I offended Billy Mac, I apologize. Being tactful has never been my strong suit.

Adam Tue Jan 08, 2013 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870729)
Yet another reason for me to stop posting images, and videos. Too late for a 2013 New Year's resolution. Maybe I'll make it my resolution for the Chinese New Year, next month. It's going to be the Year of the Water Snake.

Lent is coming.

RookieDude Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870792)
In my opinion, ignoring what two 16 y/o's are doing at the scorer's table because "it keeps me out of trouble" is not the best way to manage a game. .

When was the last time you saw "two 16 y/o's" running books at a college game? (I believe that was the game in the OP):p

In fact, I can't remember the last time anyone but an adult has done the Varsity books around these parts.

Having said that...an inexperienced adult, running the books, can really get you in trouble. (If you are not actively "managing" them...I'm with you there BBR)

We had one of those inexperienced adults the other night....

It was her FIRST time EVER keeping score. And this was for a Varsity game!
The clock operator was also inexperienced. Actually, this was a nightmare table crew.

Fouls were recorded wrong on the board...Score was recorded wrong on the board...TO's were not kept up to date on board...Disqualified player showed 4 fouls on board (player talked his coach into putting him back in the game because the board showed he only had 4 fouls):eek:

...that is a whole different story...:cool:

MORAL OF THIS STORY:

Quiz the table crew, when you are signing the books, just to get a feel for how knowledgeable they are.

i.e.

* When do you start the shot clock after the made basket?
(Some start it when it is at the throw-in teams disposal...some start after ball goes through hoop...some start when ball touches player on court)

* When do you start the play clock? (on our CHOP)

* When do you activate the first horn after TO's or a disqualification?
(Most get this, 15 seconds before the end of TO,...but, many do not know to activate the horn 5 seconds into a disqualification) [I usually count to 5 after I tell the clock operator to start the clock for a disqualification...then instruct to activate 1st horn, if they look confused] I stress to them that for TO's and disq. activate horn with 15 seconds left...no matter what length TO or disq. is...here is where you have to let them know 20 seconds for disq. replacement.

* I even ask the book to let us know when we are in the bonus. (I stress to them we don't want a correctable error situation)

* I ask them to give us a nice visible 5 for a disqualification...and a horn.

* I will ask the table crew when it is too late for a substitute to check in during a TO.(after the 1st horn...a player can check in after 1st horn...just won't get in right away)

I like this time with the table crew...I become familiar with the table crew and their knowledge...and best of all...

it gives me something to do during the "worst 15 minutes of basketball";)

BillyMac Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:39am

Nothing Wrong With Sticking To Your Guns ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 870792)
And if I offended BillyMac, I apologize.

No offense taken. No need to apologize. Hey. I've gone one on one with Jurassic Referee on this Forum, and lived to tell about it. After that, nothing on the Forum offends me. Dr. Jurassic Referee immunized me against "offense". Plus, I should have never posted that Sargent Schultz video, which I'm sure, many Forum members found to be offensive. But I won't apologize. If God didn't want me to post videos on the Forum, he would have never invented YouTube.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 08, 2013 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870833)
If God didn't want me to post videos on the Forum, he would have never invented YouTube.

God thinks further ahead than that. If he didn't want you to post videos on the Forum, he would have never invented Al Gore.

Tio Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12am

I would say your crew is getting in trouble by relaying the number of timeouts left to a team. Don't do this, ever! If someone asks you how many timeouts they have, tell them to ask the book.

Had home called a timeout you would have been in a predicament.

Anytime there is a dispute in a college game in regard to timeouts... I would recommend going to the internet "play-by-play." (Not the radio) Usually there is someone at the table with a laptop charting each play in text. This includes the time of timeouts used and can be consulted if you need to get the play right.

Quote:

College game last night.

Visiting team is making a comeback from 22 down and have cut the lead to 5 with 4 minutes to go and the teams are trading baskets.

With 1:13 to go Home team gets trapped on the sideline and has to call their last TO. My partners are taking care of the TO administration and having a discussion on the opposite side of the floor. The table crew has told them that the home team still has 1 time out left.

I am observing the home team and the coach tells his team they are out of TO's - as both teams are tracking them. One of my partners is telling the home team that they still have 1 TO left. I go over and tell them that the coach thinks he has no TO's left. The book does a quick recheck, 1 TO left for the home team. Can you smell the home cooking?

Coach has asked R, so if I call TO, you are not going to T me? "no, the book says you have one left"

R explains this to visiting team as well and we get ready to inbound the ball. I bounce the ball to the inbounder, who has trouble getting ball in, but does so on 4 count. Visitors trap the ball near midcourt, clock does not start for 4 or 5 seconds, the home team is able to split the trap and make a pass, AND the shot clock had been reset when the ball was caught by the home team. I remember looking at the clock 1:13 left and :13 left. The T and the C kill the play.

Now that we have fixed everything, the table sounds the horn. "I found the last TO, home team is out of TO's"

Both coaches are difficult in the best of situations. If home team had called a TO, the visiting coach likely goes crazy saying that the extra time out should be TF. If we TF the excessive TO, the home coach goes bananas which might get another TF.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 870832)
When was the last time you saw "two 16 y/o's" running books at a college game? (I believe that was the game in the OP):p

Wasn't referring to the OP. I was referring to Billy Mac's post, who I am under the impression only works HS. If I'm wrong about that, BM is welcome to correct me.

Either way, it wasn't meant to be taken that every single game has 16 y/o scorers. But for the record, many of them do here and I do everything I can to keep it from going down the crapper because of them. :)

just another ref Wed Jan 09, 2013 01:17am

Tonight, varsity DH, there was a kid (not sure how old, my definition of "kid" is a lot broader than it used to be) keeping the official book. We had a timeout with about 2 or 3 minutes left in the girls game. I walked to the table and never said a word. He quickly volunteered. (pointing) "They have 2 left.....and they have 1." I said to just be sure and let us know if somebody has NONE. He assured me that he would.

BillyMac Wed Jan 09, 2013 07:42am

A Mark Goodson Bill Todman Production ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 871058)
Just be sure and let us know if somebody has none.

Hey. That's my line.

Note: None and excess.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12am

Here's what I like to do with timeouts-

*Say a coach has used both 30's-I'll tell the reporting official "Last 30 for ______"

*On the next timeout after using the last 30 I wll make the full signal to signify that is all they have left

*Same ideas applies if they use all fulls first.

*Otherwise I tell them when they ask.

Rich Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20am

Call me crazy, but I want to know what a team has left and which kinds they have left. If a team has only 60-second timeouts left, I don't want to have to waste time asking the coach what he wants.

BillyMac Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41am

Toto, I Have A Feeling We’re Not In Kansas Anymore...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 871158)
Call me crazy.

You're not crazy, you're just in Rome.

icallfouls Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:13pm

We discussed this as a crew and with the "play-by-play" person. He said that it would take 10 minutes or more to get back to the beginning of the play-by-play and track down the information. We did not pursue this as an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 870846)
I would say your crew is getting in trouble by relaying the number of timeouts left to a team. Don't do this, ever! If someone asks you how many timeouts they have, tell them to ask the book.

Had home called a timeout you would have been in a predicament.

Anytime there is a dispute in a college game in regard to timeouts... I would recommend going to the internet "play-by-play." (Not the radio) Usually there is someone at the table with a laptop charting each play in text. This includes the time of timeouts used and can be consulted if you need to get the play right.

mj Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56pm

Quote:

Call me crazy, but I want to know what a team has left and which kinds they have left. If a team has only 60-second timeouts left, I don't want to have to waste time asking the coach what he wants.

Not only waste time but it sure makes you look better when you know he's used up all of his 30's.

Rich Wed Jan 09, 2013 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 871187)
Not only waste time but it sure makes you look better when you know he's used up all of his 30's.

Exactly. I don't run to the coaches and tell them what they have left, bit I want to know.

Adam Wed Jan 09, 2013 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 871204)
Exactly. I don't run to the coaches and tell them what they have left, bit I want to know.

I do exactly this. I know, but have no need to tell the coach til he's out.

just another ref Wed Jan 09, 2013 03:16pm

Quote:

This is about the only important thing I do in pregame. I tell the coaches, "Let us see the 30 signal, or you will get a full." Then, the worst thing that can happen is a 30 signal, scorer says they have no 30, and they get a full anyway.

just another ref Wed Jan 09, 2013 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 871081)
Note: None and excess.

If I know when they have none, I can figure out on my own if one is excess.

Adam Wed Jan 09, 2013 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 871220)
This is about the only important thing I do in pregame. I tell the coaches, "Let us see the 30 signal, or you will get a full." Then, the worst thing that can happen is a 30 signal, scorer says they have no 30, and they get a full anyway.

I use to say that, and some do here. Now, since the rule doesn't say to do this, I simply tell them to let me know, because otherwise I have to guess. If I'm feeling comedic, I'll point out that my wife tells me I'm horrible at reading minds so I'll probably guess wrong.

just another ref Wed Jan 09, 2013 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 871223)
I use to say that, and some do here. Now, since the rule doesn't say to do this, I simply tell them to let me know, because otherwise I have to guess.

The rule doesn't say to do what? I'm telling them to let me know, as well. Signal a 30, no signal means full. I don't have to guess, either.

Rich Wed Jan 09, 2013 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 871223)
I use to say that, and some do here. Now, since the rule doesn't say to do this, I simply tell them to let me know, because otherwise I have to guess. If I'm feeling comedic, I'll point out that my wife tells me I'm horrible at reading minds so I'll probably guess wrong.

I'm not a fan of this -- I prefer to use a bit of preventive officiating. I ask once and I make sure the coach has my attention before I ask. Otherwise, it's a 60.

Since when do we need a rule to be preventive? Giving the "wrong" timeout seems like it can cause more trouble than it's worth.

Adam Wed Jan 09, 2013 05:00pm

I must have been unclear. My point was I don't default to a full. I try to guess, but I can't guarantee I'll guess correctly. Seems my odds are at least as good as if I defaulted to a 60.

Tio Wed Jan 09, 2013 06:08pm

In a HS game or non-media game this would be fine. However, even in small college games there are media formats and depending on the format, the full-timeouts can burn a media timeout. So just something to consider if you have that in your game.

It doesn't take that much longer to ask a coach what they want.... ideally you should not be starting the timeout clock until both players are at their benches which should give you a few seconds if you need clarification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 871236)
I must have been unclear. My point was I don't default to a full. I try to guess, but I can't guarantee I'll guess correctly. Seems my odds are at least as good as if I defaulted to a 60.

BillyMac Wed Jan 09, 2013 06:09pm

Better To Be Safe Than Sorry ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 871222)
If I know when they have none, I can figure out on my own if one is excess.

Two officials. Two teams. Figure out the permutations. I want the scorekeeper to tell me when a team has used an excess (illegal) timeout, just in case I, or my partner, forgets that it's an excess (illegal) timeout that must be penalized. This is not a correctable error.

Also, more importantly, it's a rule: 2-11-9: Signal the nearer official each time a team is granted a time-out in excess of the allotted number.

Now, where are my house keys?

BillyMac Wed Jan 09, 2013 06:13pm

Thirty Or Sixty ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 871220)
"Let us see the 30 signal, or you will get a full."

After we ask once, or twice, without a response, this is the way it's done here in my little corner of the Constitution State.

The only difference is that out local interpreter wants us to call these thirty second, and sixty second, timeouts, not thirty second time outs, and full timeouts. Kinda like endline, and baseline, don't you think??

Adam Wed Jan 09, 2013 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 871240)
In a HS game or non-media game this would be fine. However, even in small college games there are media formats and depending on the format, the full-timeouts can burn a media timeout. So just something to consider if you have that in your game.

It doesn't take that much longer to ask a coach what they want.... ideally you should not be starting the timeout clock until both players are at their benches which should give you a few seconds if you need clarification.

Wait, when did I say I don't ask?

just another ref Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 871262)
Wait, when did I say I don't ask?

What is wrong with having a default? If you have a default, you don't have to ask.

Adam Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 871264)
What is wrong with having a default? If you have a default, you don't have to ask.

Didn't say anything was wrong with it. I just don't do it. When I did, i still asked.