The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Funny story (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93404-funny-story.html)

Texref Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57am

Funny story

We had two officials, no, I was not one of them :p, who at the end of a tie game left the floor and had to be brought back by game administrator. Basically, they weren't paying attention to score and when the horn went to end the game, they didn't realize the game was tied! Thought it a humorous way to start the second half of the season! :eek: 2-person crew, varsity game. No excuse for it to happen, but humbling for the officials involved to say the least.

egj13 Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11pm

Let me take this one for Devon...

I am sure you are aware of the events that happened but let me tell you anyway...blah blah blah...this is a TRAVESTY...blah blah blah...it shouldn't happen at ANY level...blah blah blah...but these guys will be allowed to do a Varsity game again because of who they are not their skill on the court...blah blah blah...this is a black mark for basketball officials EVERYWHERE!

I couldn't resist

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 870075)
Let me take this one for Devon...

I am sure you are aware of the events that happened but let me tell you anyway...blah blah blah...this is a TRAVESTY...blah blah blah...it shouldn't happen at ANY level...blah blah blah...but these guys will be allowed to do a Varsity game again because of who they are not their skill on the court...blah blah blah...this is a black mark for basketball officials EVERYWHERE!

I couldn't resist

AND thanks for being a HS fan....

egj13 Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 870078)
AND thanks for being a HS fan....

Hilarious..

Zoochy Fri Jan 04, 2013 01:59pm

It was OK. Their shoes were ALL BLACK! :)

egj13 Fri Jan 04, 2013 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 870113)
It was OK. Their shoes were ALL BLACK! :)

Bringing together all of the threads today are we! What a way to end the week...

Tio Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:01pm

Devon is occupied in the "Colorado/Arizona" last second shot forum. Save yourself the trouble and send the same letter to John Adams... since he will send the same response back.

Thank you for being a fan of college basketball!

BillyMac Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:28pm

Please Don't Write A Letter ...

Two nights ago. Girls varsity. I'm the lead official. I have shot in my corner, from behind the three point line, no defender any where near shooter. I put out my three point try signal, and since there isn't any action to observe near the shooter, I, like any good lead official, look, with my eyes down, under the basket, watching for rebounding fouls, and see, out of the corner of my eye, with my peripheral vision, the ball come straight down from near the center of the basket, like a lead balloon, and hit the floor. So I make the touchdown signal for the successful three point goal, only to see a player grab the rebound off the floor, make an outlet pass, and have all ten players run down to the other end of the court.

Air ball.

Man. I hope that DevonMoore doesn't read this post. And if he does, I do not post under my real name (Dr. Frank-N-Furter), so I can't get into too much trouble.

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texref (Post 870063)
We had two officials, no, I was not one of them :p, who at the end of a tie game left the floor and had to be brought back by game administrator. Basically, they weren't paying attention to score and when the horn went to end the game, they didn't realize the game was tied! Thought it a humorous way to start the second half of the season! :eek: 2-person crew, varsity game. No excuse for it to happen, but humbling for the officials involved to say the least.

They can't play overtime. They left the visual confines, so it HAS to be recorded as a tie. Not even the SCOTUS can overturn it!! It's true, it's true...

BillyMac Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:35pm

Pot Stirrer ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 870164)
They can't play overtime. They left the visual confines, so it HAS to be recorded as a tie. Not even the SCOTUS can overturn it!! It's true, it's true...

Shut up.

egj13 Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870162)
I'm the lead official. I have shot in my corner, from behind the three point line, no defender any where near shooter. I put out my three point try signal, and since there isn't any action to observe near the shooter, I, like any good lead official, look, with my eyes down, under the basket, watching for rebounding fouls, and see, out of the corner of my eye, with my peripheral vision, the ball come straight down from near the center of the basket, like a lead balloon. So I make the touchdown signal for the successful three point goal, only to see a player grab the rebound, make an outlet pass, and have all ten players run down to the other end of the court.

Air ball.

Man. I hope that DevonMoore doesn't read this post.

Hilarious story! Honestly...I will no longer post any of my miscues on here to avoid being outed by Devon...

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 870174)
Hilarious story! Honestly...I will no longer post any of my miscues on here to avoid being outed by Devon...

I had a partner (2 man crew) signal a good 3 on an airball from the trail once. After protests and while still correctable, I went to the table and to him to make sure. Table said NG, partners told table they were homers. As I was lead with several players vying for position, I only saw a brush of the net, so I had no definite knowledge.

I went into GIGDGO mode.

BillyMac Fri Jan 04, 2013 04:16pm

Color Me Foolish ...

I once ran off the court after the second period buzzer sounded in a Catholic middle school game. I ran all the way into the concession area, where we normally spend our time during halftimes, and during the time between games of a doubleheader. My partner ran in after me to inform me that it was only the end of the first period. Please, no letters.

grunewar Fri Jan 04, 2013 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 870162)
Two nights ago. Girls varsity. I'm the lead official. I have shot in my corner, from behind the three point line, no defender any where near shooter. I put out my three point try signal, and since there isn't any action to observe near the shooter, I, like any good lead official, look, with my eyes down, under the basket, watching for rebounding fouls, and see, out of the corner of my eye, with my peripheral vision, the ball come straight down from near the center of the basket, like a lead balloon, and hit the floor. So I make the touchdown signal for the successful three point goal, only to see a player grab the rebound off the floor, make an outlet pass, and have all ten players run down to the other end of the court.

You Connecticut guys are funny! I know not of which you speak. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 870164)
Not even the SCOTUS can overturn it!! It's true, it's true...

Man, even as a military man I had to look that one up! Can't remember seeing it used before. Thanks! :)