The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:25am
NFHS Official

Stupid players, don't even know which direction they are supposed to go. Coaches didn't catch it either. Take the scholarships away from the players and fire all the coaches.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Before "we" flog the officials for "taking 2 points away from" and "possibly losing the game for" UConn, maybe we should evaluate every single one of Calhoun's in game mistakes...
Funny, but I don't think Jim Calhoun made a single mistake during the game yesterday...
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

DLH ~

This is part of the arrogance I referred to as well. It is NOT our job to evaluate what a coach does or does not. We are guardians of the game and despite everything, we MUST know the rules of the game...or not officiate the game!
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Even though they went the wrong way, is it the players' and coaches' fault that the goaltending call did not count and that the officials went to the AP arrow in error too?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

I figure we should line them up and shoot them. Would that satisfy you?

It was a single basket in a 6-point game. Boo freaking hoo.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Certainly Not A Connecticuter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMoore View Post
You never know if this ONE game costs Uconn its place in the BE tourney or selection committee seeding.
Well, we probably know for sure that DevonMoore is not from the Constitution State, nor is he, or she, a true University of Connecticut fan.

Jim Calhoun hasn't been coaching the University of Connecticut mens team since September, 2012. Due to academic issues, like the players not going to classes, and players leaving school early for the NBA while in poor academic standing, the UCONN men are not eligible for the NCAA tournament. They may have one appeal left, but I'm 99% sure that they will not be eligible for the Big East (or whatever is left of the Big East) tournament at the end of this season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
It was the first play of OT, so UCONN should have gone up 2. Everyone makes mistakes...I feel that the OP is rather embittered about the entire situation. Why aren't we more supportive of fellow officials instead of writing a letter to Adams (trying to get them in trouble).
Because not all of 'us' are officials.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:50am
M.A.S.H.

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed that they messed up. Agreed they should be disciplined -- and I think they will be.

But:
1) It's not Adams' job to do this - -he doesn't control the conference assignments.
2) Your "travesty" and "arrogance" comments seem over the top (as others have mentioned).
3) While "free speech" is a right, it's not applicable here.
4) BCS Conference is a football term and has nothing to do with basketball.
5) The play itself is no different from any other missed call that happens with just under 5 minutes to go in a game (or for that matter at any other time) -- it affects the game, but it doesn't cost a team the game.
Like always... I agree with bob.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

My suggestion to Mr Moore is to stick to writing letters to Penthouse.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

In probably one fourth of my overtime games I have to redirect the jumpers and restate the which basket is whose. Frankly, I put this as no bigger a deal than shooting fts on a TC foul (MN/MSU). Sure, it's a mistake, but not really a huge deal.

And anyone who claims it cost (or could have cost) a team the game when it's the first play of OT is (at most) still more fan than official.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Yes, this is my first post, but I am a frequent reader of the forum. This fact should not diminish the contents or opinion within my letter as free speech is a right.

I'm not yet convinced you're a fanboy or a troll. Or at least, you have good intentions...

But isn't it a fact that free speech only applies to non-private forums?

Also, why in your first post do you feel the need to assert this?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, some of you are more concerned about me and my intentions without regard to the CONTENT of the letter. My affiliation or intent is not the issue here. Supportive of the officials you suggest? Misapplication of rules by three FF officials is UNACCEPTABLE! How can you be supportive of that?

Instead of coming at me, I have yet to read one response that justifies their actions. Where's the accountability? You never know if this ONE game costs Uconn its place in the BE tourney or selection committee seeding...one never knows the IMPACT of our mistakes as officials.

Yes I beleive some work too much; how can they concentrate and maintain their intensity night in and night out? It is too hard.

It was not a simple error...as in judgement. It was a MISSED APPLIED RULE by 3 guys who are supposed to be the best. Karl Hess can't tell me anything at a future camp since he can't even line players up correctly and doesn't know the third article of rule 5. Has he even read the rule book? But hey, ALL of them are equally at fault. It was a TRAVESTY...ask UConn if THEY feel that way.

Regarding death sentence: most everyone on here does not use his/her real name because you really cannot say what you want without fear of retailiation in some form or fashion. Period.
1. The point that everybody is trying to make here is that mistakes are made. It happens every game. Some mistakes (such as this one) are very high profile, but they happen to all of us. Was this unfortunate? Yes. Was it the sole reason that UCONN lost the game? No. Should we all (including these three) know the rules better? Absolutely. You won't find anybody defending these three guys because what happened was indefensible and we all know it.

2. You're not getting the reaction that you want because despite to the fact that you infer that you might referee some level of basketball somewhere in the world and claim to be a long time reader of this forum, you're posting as a fanboy with your fanboy hat and your UCONN gear on. Your post reeks of fanboy-dom as others have pointed out and you're being treated like any other fanboy that starts posting this time of year.

3. This is not a place to come and cry about the officiating of any particular game. This is a place for objective rules discussion and there is currently another very good thread on the topic. This thread is your attempt to stir up a mob mentality lynching and you're (not surprisingly) getting anybody riled up. Go post on a fanboy site.

4. If you're writing a letter, I hope you're sending it to the Big East commissioner, not John Adams. As has been pointed out he has absolutely zero control over who works regular season games and has no ability to deal out the punishment to officials who do screw up (which is what you seem to so desperately seek).

TL;DR - go post on a fanboy site if you want a sympathetic ear.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

The reason you need to post under an alias is that you and everyone else on this board have no right to question or challenge the competence of the 3 officials on last night's game. Yes, they made an indefensible mistake, but hopefully, we can all learn from this and apply to our games in the future. Calling for a fellow officials punishment (and thinking you are right in writing to John Adams and conference coordinators) is an act of insanity. If you don't believe me, feel free to email it to John Adams. He usually responds to all emails he receives.

Quote:
Again, some of you are more concerned about me and my intentions without regard to the CONTENT of the letter. My affiliation or intent is not the issue here. Supportive of the officials you suggest? Misapplication of rules by three FF officials is UNACCEPTABLE! How can you be supportive of that?

Instead of coming at me, I have yet to read one response that justifies their actions. Where's the accountability? You never know if this ONE game costs Uconn its place in the BE tourney or selection committee seeding...one never knows the IMPACT of our mistakes as officials.

Yes I beleive some work too much; how can they concentrate and maintain their intensity night in and night out? It is too hard.

It was not a simple error...as in judgement. It was a MISSED APPLIED RULE by 3 guys who are supposed to be the best. Karl Hess can't tell me anything at a future camp since he can't even line players up correctly and doesn't know the third article of rule 5. Has he even read the rule book? But hey, ALL of them are equally at fault. It was a TRAVESTY...ask UConn if THEY feel that way.

Regarding death sentence: most everyone on here does not use his/her real name because you really cannot say what you want without fear of retailiation in some form or fashion. Period.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Not a Fanboy

LOL...I did email adams and hyland and clougherty and shaw (FYI): jwasports1, user2117, etc.

I am not a fanboy, and it matters not the reaction you all send my way. Each of you are anonymous as well, so what difference does it matter...just as you pay no attention to my post.

But yes, I opted to post today because I am sick and tired of BIG TIME officials f%%4ing stuff up and continue to get games with no penalty at all...living off reputation versus ability. Their arrogance is demonstrated on the floor by their mannerisms.

Again, you all focus on me...but I did not misapply the rule, because I KNOW the rule.

So continue to throw darts at me for voicing my opinion...but I have yet to hear ONE person defend their actions and provide a reasonable excuse. Guess what, there is NOT an excuse! Yeah...they will be on TV again this weekend and work the NCAA tourney, but do not know the freakin rules!

I guess it is WHO you know and not WHAT you know...
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Why would you expect anyone to defend their actions? They made a mistake and almost every post in response to your silly letter acknowledges that. What exactly are you looking for?