The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional Foul on Made Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93290-intentional-foul-made-basket.html)

IAUMP Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:31am

Intentional Foul on Made Basket

I was watching a Boys Varsity game last night and there was an interesting call that made the crew huddle for a couple of minutes. A1 stole the ball for a break away layup. During the shot B1 committed an intentional foul by pushing A1 in the torso, no play on the ball just two hands/arms in the A1s side. A1 made the basket. The officials awarded the basket, 2 free throws and the ball to A on the baseline. I think the discussion was if the should award 2 or 3 free throws. Since I am in my first year of basketball, I don't know which is correct and would like your opinions.

grunewar Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:32am

Whether the basket goes in or not, you get 2 shots and the ball is in-bounded nearest to where the foul occurred - in this case, on the end-line.

Sounds like it was administered correctly.

JeroenB Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:35am

Why would it be 3 free throws if the foul isn't on a threepoint attempt? Shouldn't the question be if it is 1 or 2 free throws?

OKREF Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:38am

4-19-3

Two shots. If the shot was a missed 3 point attempt you get 3 free throws.

grunewar Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeroenB (Post 867691)
Shouldn't the question be if it is 1 or 2 free throws?

I would say yes.

If the official calls the foul on the try it's one FT.

If, by getting together, it is determined, that it was INT, then it's two FT's and the ball.

If the official went straight to INT, then there is no real need to meet and discuss other than to ensure they administer it properly (clear the lane and where the ball goes, etc.).

letemplay Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:39am

Clarification

INT on made 2 or 3, missed 2, other non-shooting int: 2 ft's in each sitch

INT on missed 3 ptr: 3 ft's

bob jenkins Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 867694)
If the official went straight to INT, then there is no real need to meet and discuss other than to ensure they administer it properly (clear the lane and where the ball goes, etc.).

There shouldn't be a need to meet, but I can see the possibility that one of the two/three officials wasn't sure of the rule and requested a conference.

grunewar Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 867702)
There shouldn't be a need to meet, but I can see the possibility that one of the two/three officials wasn't sure of the rule and requested a conference.

Agreed.

JRutledge Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:44am

I had a game recently where that discussion came up. We called an IF in the game and the ball almost went in. One official wanted to give one shot if the ball went in the basket. Another official insisted in the locker room that we could only give two shots even on a 3 point shot missed. It was such a debate (friendly) I sent an email after the game. No response, but oh well I am really surprised why this is so hard to understand for many.

Peace

Adam Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeroenB (Post 867691)
Why would it be 3 free throws if the foul isn't on a threepoint attempt? Shouldn't the question be if it is 1 or 2 free throws?

Yes, but some officials, in the moment, want to add the 'and one' to the two free throws. It's the same sort of error that makes some consider shooting a 1&1 (plus two) when a technical foul is the team's seventh.

Raymond Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:58am

:eek: Shoot, I worked a game in camp this summer with a guy who is working multiple D1 conferences and he didn't know the frickin' rule. :rolleyes:

letemplay Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867710)
:eek: Shoot, I worked a game in camp this summer with a guy who is working multiple D1 conferences and he didn't know the frickin' rule. :rolleyes:

Probably cuz they rarely call int at that level...at least lots are let go that I see...but what do I know:confused:

Raymond Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 867711)
Probably cuz they rarely call int at that level...at least lots are let go that I see...but what do I know:confused:

That's not the reason. He just didn't know the rule. I told him to trust me on this. The observer asked us about it after the game and was glad we got it right. In fact, I just had one in a college game a week and a half ago.

You'd be surprised the number of D1 officials who don't know rules very well.

jeschmit Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 867711)

I hope he doesn't call ANY intentional fouls at that level! ;)

tjones1 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36am

In my first NCAA game this year I had a made basket and a F1. Easy call. Observer liked it too.