The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First T in a long long time... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93286-first-t-long-long-time.html)

the24kid Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38pm

First T in a long long time...

Had a varsity B game the other day.. Turned out to be a real blowout... white had 29 points in the fourth... red had 79... red was still playing hard and aggressive.. the fellas playing for red were the end of the bench dwellers and it was nice to see them making the most of their opportunity.... a player from white took offense when a red player decided to play aggressive and try to grab the ball from him on the elbow.. my partner was right on top of it on the ball side trail and called the jump ball..i came ball side prior to the call to monitor the two gentlemen in the post... once the whistle blew i came in to get the ball and inbound on the endline with 1:24 left... well white who was involved in the tie up decided to take his frustrations out on me.. droppin multiple f bombs at me and telling me i effin let him get hit in the face... as hard as I tried to play on and hope his tone of voice didn't get louder.. he did escalate his voice and continue to curse... I calmly whistled and gave a half hearted t and moved on... it was my first t in about 3 years at the hs level.. coach yanked him right from the game and later apologized to me... gotta love blow outs.. especially when both teams are in the double bonus :eek:

just another ref Wed Dec 19, 2012 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by the24kid (Post 867659)
.....white who was involved in the tie up decided to take his frustrations out on me.. droppin multiple f bombs at me and telling me i effin let him get hit in the face... as hard as I tried to play on and hope his tone of voice didn't get louder..

You wanted to "play on" after this?

wow

Loudwhistle2 Wed Dec 19, 2012 01:41am

Zero Tolerance!!!!!!!

Any time a player starts dropping the fbomb around me I T immediately!

constable Wed Dec 19, 2012 05:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 867667)

wow

Calling that a flagrant technical foul would not have been a tough sell!

maven Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:37am

I can understand trying to give the kid some rope under the circumstances.

A flagrant T for this offense would not be supported around here unless it was loud enough to break glass.

Adam Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 867667)

wow

But hey, he was quiet, not demonstrative, not showing up the official. :rolleyes:

I'm left wondering if there haven't been a few of these in the past three years.

Adam Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 867682)
I can understand trying to give the kid some rope under the circumstances.

A flagrant T for this offense would not be supported around here unless it was loud enough to break glass.

I think it would be here, but the question would be asked, "Why didn't you get him sooner?"

ref3808 Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:30am

F bombs directed at me or my partner or for that matter in almost any situatuon draw an immediate T from me and most officials I work with here.

tomegun Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11am

If a KID dropped multiple F bombs directed at me? He/she can go to the bench and get an early start on icing their knees, doing their math homework or whatever they feel like they can get done on the bench while waiting for the game to be over.

Multiple use of the F word:
College coach - T
College player - T
High School coach - T, possible ejection (how would a high school educator defend this action?)
High School player - ejection

I'm still wondering what happened before this and if there was any indication that rough play or previous behavior could have been handled earlier.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 867715)
If a KID dropped multiple F bombs directed at me? He/she can go to the bench and get an early start on icing their knees, doing their math homework or whatever they feel like they can get done on the bench while waiting for the game to be over.

Multiple use of the F word:
College coach - T
College player - T
High School coach - T, possible ejection (how would a high school educator defend this action?)
High School player - ejection

I'm still wondering what happened before this and if there was any indication that rough play or previous behavior could have been handled earlier.

Agreed on all points.