The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Back Court violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93266-back-court-violation.html)

egj13 Mon Dec 17, 2012 01:22pm

Back Court violation?

Asked a veteran official this question while watching a game the other night and he said it wasn't backcourt. Found some other threads in here that seem to contradict his answer so just looking for clarification.

NFHS rules being used BTW

A1 inbounding from the endline in A's FC. Ball is thrown to A2 but it is too hot of a pass and deflects off his hands into the BC. A3 grabs the ball in the BC and play continues with no call.

The guy I asked said this was proper since A2 never had control of the pass. I thought it should have been backcourt because A2 was the last to touch the ball in FC and A3 was the first to touch the ball in the BC.

Is this play a BC vilation?

Freddy Mon Dec 17, 2012 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 867270)
Asked a veteran official this question...
A1 inbounding from the endline in A's FC. Ball is thrown to A2 but it is too hot of a pass and deflects off his hands into the BC. A3 grabs the ball in the BC and play continues with no call.
The guy I asked said this was proper since A2 never had control of the pass. I thought it should have been backcourt because A2 was the last to touch the ball in FC and A3 was the first to touch the ball in the BC.

That "last to touch, first to touch" clause applies "after it has been in player and team control in the frontcourt" (9-9-1).
That didn't happen in your sitch.
Ergo, no "vilation". :)
Invite your veteran friend to belly up to the bar and buy him a nice frosty Fresca.

APG Mon Dec 17, 2012 01:35pm

NFHS 2011-2012 Basketball Interpretations

NFHS 2011-2012 Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION 5: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. A1’s pass to A2, who is in the frontcourt standing near the division line, is high and deflects off A2’s hand and goes into Team A’s backcourt. A2 is then the first to control the ball in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Legal. There is no backcourt violation since player and team control had not yet been established in Team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A2 gains control in his/her backcourt. (4-12-2d; 9-9)

Loudwhistle2 Mon Dec 17, 2012 01:37pm

Not backcourt because a touch doesn't mean player control.

APG Mon Dec 17, 2012 01:38pm

Requirements for a backcourt violation:

1. Team control (and player control established at some point if coming from a throw-in)
2. Ball gains frontcourt status
3. Team in control is the last to touch the ball while the ball had frontcourt status
4. Team in control is the first the touch the ball after the ball gained a backcourt status.

egj13 Mon Dec 17, 2012 02:35pm

thanks all!

jeremy341a Mon Dec 17, 2012 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 867270)
Asked a veteran official this question while watching a game the other night and he said it wasn't backcourt. Found some other threads in here that seem to contradict his answer so just looking for clarification.

NFHS rules being used BTW

The same play but instead of it being a throw-in, the orginal pass comes from just inbounds in the backcourt and now it is a backcourt violation.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 17, 2012 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 867290)
The same play but instead of it being a throw-in, the orginal pass comes from just inbounds in the backcourt and now it is a backcourt violation.

Only if A2 is in his FC.

jeremy341a Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 867363)
Only if A2 is in his FC.

Correct, I worded it poorly. I should have said with all other factors the same as the orginal senario except the pass comes from inbounds in the backcourt.

Raymond Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 867421)
Correct, I worded it poorly. I should have said with all other factors the same as the orginal senario except the pass comes from inbounds in the backcourt.

What end of the court a throw-in originates has no bearing on BC violations. The ball has no front court or back court status when OOB.

jeremy341a Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867426)
What end of the court a throw-in originates has no bearing on BC violations. The ball has no front court or back court status when OOB.

I am aware of this. I was saying in the op senario it is not a backcourt violation due to it being a throw-in and player control had not been established. However if the person that threw the pass was inbounds making a normal pass instead of oob making a throw-in then you would have a backcourt violation even though the two passes originated from only a couple of feet apart.