The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Here's today's hint to coaches... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93242-heres-todays-hint-coaches.html)

Rich Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59am

Here's today's hint to coaches...

If an assistant coach in Wisconsin yells out "Touchdown, Seattle" from the bench after something doesn't go the team's way, we're likely going to have a technical foul.

Adam Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 867006)
If an assistant coach in Wisconsin yells out "Touchdown, Seattle" from the bench after something doesn't go the team's way, we're likely going to have a technical foul.

Coaches who think they're witty are surprised when it backfires.

RookieDude Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:53pm

Ha...Coach, your bus driver is pretty funny...WHACK!;)

jTheUmp Sat Dec 15, 2012 02:40pm

Ok, I have to admit, I laughed when I read that.

I'd still whack him though.

26 Year Gap Sat Dec 15, 2012 03:29pm

Ha. Ha. One more and he gets to check out the Frozen Confines.

grunewar Sat Dec 15, 2012 03:48pm

Not as funny today, but still......

I had one coach besides himself because we didn't call a five second closely guarded violation.....in the backcourt.

Another coach almost got a T as when I called the Player Control Foul on his player, he insisted it couldn't be so, as the defender was not "set."

Ah, another season.........

jTheUmp Sat Dec 15, 2012 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 867021)
I had one coach besides himself because we didn't call a five second closely guarded violation.....in the backcourt.

I had one go nuts trying to tell that I couldn't call a 5-second violation because the dribbler "made it into the paint".

Welpe Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24pm

I had a coach last week nearly lose it when I stopped my count after the dribbler lost the ball on an interrupted dribble. He whined to me to no avail, so he whined to my partner who in front of the coach told me I was wrong.

I pulled him aside away from the coach right then and there and politely but forcefully suggested he read the rule book. He works varsity too. :(

26 Year Gap Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 867045)
I had a coach last week nearly lose it when I stopped my count after the dribbler lost the ball on an interrupted dribble. He whined to me to no avail, so he whined to my partner who in front of the coach told me I was wrong.

I pulled him aside away from the coach right then and there and politely but forcefully suggested he read the rule book. He works varsity too. :(

Sometimes, you just need a bigger bus.

Sharpshooternes Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 867053)
Sometimes, you just need a bigger bus.

I had a coach tell me it couldn't be an offensive foul because the defender didn't get hit in the middle of the chest.

just another ref Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 867056)
I had a coach tell me it couldn't be an offensive foul because the defender didn't get hit in the middle of the chest.

I can't say I've heard those exact words that often but based on reactions I was say that this is the belief of a huge number of people, along with the fact that it can't be on the offense if the defender doesn't fall down.

APG Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 867045)

I hoped you pulled out the case book at halftime or sent an e-mail with the case book play after the game. I might also send word to my assignor if my partner threw me under the bus like that.

Welpe Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:03am

I e-mailed him the rule that night after the game. Not sure I'm going to bring it to my assigner or not.

Sharpshooternes Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 867059)
I can't say I've heard those exact words that often but based on reactions I was say that this is the belief of a huge number of people, along with the fact that it can't be on the offense if the defender doesn't fall down.

Isn't the middle of the chest thing a college rule anyway?

just another ref Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 867064)
Isn't the middle of the chest thing a college rule anyway?

I wouldn't know.