The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - I met one of the "big shots"

No, not a player, but a former NBA team big shot. I mentioned before that I am at an assisted living center as I recover from my heart surgery (and other things). One of the guys here (named Herb)is a personal friend of former Portland Trailblazer president and GM, Harry Glickman. Harry is responsible for bringing a pro team to Portland. Yesterday, he came to visit Herb and Herb contacted me to come to his room to meet Harry. We talked about the Blazers and coaches and referees and lots of other basketball related stuff. One story he told me was about the time Frank Leyden of the Utah Jazz was trying to get tossed from a game because his team was getting clobbered by the Blazers but Earl Strom told Frank he wasn't going to toss him because, "If I have to put up with this crap, you do too", except he didn't say "crap".

I told Harry about some of my more humorous referee experiences and he laughed quite a few times. Before he left, I got him to agree to come back here soon and give a presentation to us residents on how he got the idea of bringing a pro team to Portland and how it happened, plus any other stories he has from his days in the league.

It was a real pleasure meeting this guy and I look forward to him coming back.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Great stuff, Mark and we all hope your recovery is going well and that you will be home soon for Christmas.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Great stuff, Mark and we all hope your recovery is going well and that you will be home soon for Christmas.
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, being away from home for Hanukkah is of more concern to me.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Hanukkah ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Actually, being away from home for Hanukkah is of more concern to me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 03:18pm.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good to hear from you Mark.

Continued best wishes.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you could tape the presentation with his permission and get it posted. Sounds interesting.

Hope the recovery continues Mark!
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Continued best wishes Mark!
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:46pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Great to hear from you. Did you tell him about the first rule?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Great to hear from you. Did you tell him about the first rule?
Actually, I didn't. I'm saving that until he comes to speak at our place and then I can tell it in front of everyone here.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Well, it's "official". Harry Glickman is coming back over here this coming Wednesday afternoon to speak to our residents and guests about his career in the Portland sports scene. His talk will include the story of how he began as a fight promoter, then established professional hockey here and then the story of how he worked to bring an NBA team to Portland. He will take questions and comments from the rest of us. I'm really looking forward to hearing his story. I'll try to remember to post any funny and/or weird basketball items he brings up.

Although it's not likely, if any of you have a question about the Blazers history, let me know and I can ask Harry, or if any of you in this area would like to come over here (SW Portland) Wednesday at 2:00 as a guest, I can get you in.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Enjoy the day tomorrow Mark! I'm sure you are looking forward to something other than the usual rehab schedule. Hope you're improving each day!

Ask if he has any good Bill Walton stories. I'm betting he does.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Well, it's "official". Harry Glickman is coming back over here this coming Wednesday afternoon to speak to our residents and guests about his career in the Portland sports scene.

Although it's not likely, if any of you have a question about the Blazers history, let me know and I can ask Harry, or if any of you in this area would like to come over here (SW Portland) Wednesday at 2:00 as a guest, I can get you in.
Even Adam?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Even Adam?
Do you know how many jokes I hear around here about the Garden of Eden? More than I can even remember.

OK - the resident here who is Harry's personal friend and is the guy who arranged for Harry to come speak to us told me this morning he has about 15 or 20 guys coming who know the both of them. My guess is that about 40 or 50 residents will be in attendance so there may be as many as 70 people here for this. We're probably going to run out of prune juice.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Even Adam?
Heh.