The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Changing ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93176-changing-ball.html)

SAK Sun Dec 09, 2012 06:26pm

Changing ball

After selecting a game ball for the game team A requests to change the ball to a ball that has more air and actually bounces too high. The request was denied. After returning from the locker room at halftime the table bounces the ball to me to for the throw-in to begin the 3rd quarter. I bounce the ball once and determine that the ball has been changed. (Obviously this is why we give the game ball to the table, so that we don't have to deal with this situation). I run over and ask for the ball that was selected to begin the game, the table identifies the ball and we go on.

My questions are the following, what are the rules about changing balls in the middle of the game. It is my belief that as per 12-2-3 I have the right and responsibility to select the ball however I don't see any thing that would prevent us from changing a game ball to one that still meets the rules and for example has a better grip. Finally, there was no penalty given to the home team, the team that took credit for changing the game ball, but would anyone have considered this a non-sporting or disrespecting a game official as they knowingly changed balls to one that did not meet specifications.

Adam Sun Dec 09, 2012 06:39pm

I don't change the ball once I've selected and or approved it. I wouldn't have given them a T, but I'd be sending an email to the state. Coach would also be on a short leash.

SAK Sun Dec 09, 2012 06:49pm

I am also not sure what is worse, that the home team changed the ball after being told that they cannot or that the table (and members of the officiating crew) allowed the team to change the ball knowing that they had already been told no.

Adam Sun Dec 09, 2012 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 865899)
I am also not sure what is worse, that the home team changed the ball after being told that they cannot or that the table (and members of the officiating crew) allowed the team to change the ball knowing that they had already been told no.

They've probably never thought twice about it.

I had a YMCA coach toss me his ball half way through the first quarter. He was genuinely surprised when I bounced it back to him.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 09, 2012 07:59pm

Some mark the game ball so they can be sure the same ball is used in the second half.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 865888)
It is my belief that as per 12-2-3 I have the right and responsibility to select the ball however I don't see any thing that would prevent us from changing a game ball to one that still meets the rules and for example has a better grip.

12-2-3?????

It's never a bad idea to carry a valve needle in your pocket.

tw1ns Mon Dec 10, 2012 03:36pm

Nothing worse than a ball that is over inflated. Twice this year i have gone in before game and let air out of balls...The Spalding TF-1000 Legacy is notorius for being over inflated. Plus, i don't think it bounces as true as the old balls....too tacky. IMO

BillyMac Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:27pm

I Also Like The Older Balls ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1ns (Post 866058)
I don't think it bounces as true as the old balls.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45757...98888&pid=15.1

JRutledge Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1ns (Post 866058)
Nothing worse than a ball that is over inflated. Twice this year i have gone in before game and let air out of balls...The Spalding TF-1000 Legacy is notorius for being over inflated. Plus, i don't think it bounces as true as the old balls....too tacky. IMO

I have to do this almost every game. Not a big deal, I do not like long rebounds. Not much can happen well on long rebounds.

Peace