The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 10:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenB View Post
I have no idea what NFHS rules say about this, I can only chime in from a FIBA basketball perspective:
Under FIBA rules a correctable error can be corrected as long as it's discovered "before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball after the game clock has started following the error." (i.e. when the ball is at the disposal of the green FT-shooter). If by "ready to shoot" you mean the kid already had the ball at his/her disposal, you were right, it was too late and the call couldn't be reversed anymore.
If he was just standing ready at the FT-line and did not yet have the ball, the call could still be reversed. In this case the orange kid that fouled out would have to remain on the bench and his substitute would have to shoot the free throws.
Again: this is based on FIBA rules and FIBA does not have a 1-and-1 rule, however any erroneously awarded or denied free throws fall under the correctable error category.

As a former USA Basketball Referee I am going to jump in here and defend JeroenB. If one reads the NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules, one sees that the Correctable Errors and how they are corrected are the same for all three rules codes. I have the same problem that JeroneB has with the OP: Green Player is at the free throw line ready to shoot. That description does not tell us whether or not the ball is at the disposal of the free throw shooter. But all three rules codes are the same: if the ball is not at the disposal of the free throw shooter the time limit to correct has not expired, but if the ball is at the disposal of the free throw shooter the time limit to correct has expired.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio