The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 10:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Time+Distance screens close to the ball carrier

You're the Lead, ball is up top. Some screens in the Trail's area too, with good ball movement

In your PCA, there is some action too. Screens from the low post to the high post, vice versa, and some across the key as well.

Your experience tells you that an entry pass isn't coming, but rather a pick and roll up top. Sure enough, it comes, and a screen is near the ball carrier. You believe t+d wasn't given, but the screen is pretty close to the ball carrier.

How far away does this screen have to be before you'll call it from the Lead? (And fwiw, you think your P has already missed 2 of them this half.)
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:04pm
(Something hilarious)

I'd prefer to call it at the FT line extended or under. I'd also take into consideration how close the screening matchup is to the ball handler that is clearly in my T's primary.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

(Illegal) Ball screens are a great call to make in your secondary area. Too often the official on the ball is (too?) focused on the ball handler and the primary defender. S/he doesn't see the screen coming to know whether it's legal or not.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 09:27am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(Illegal) Ball screens are a great call to make in your secondary area. Too often the official on the ball is (too?) focused on the ball handler and the primary defender. S/he doesn't see the screen coming to know whether it's legal or not.
Yes.

I was trained to know what happening around the BC. In last night's game, home coach was yelling for an illegal screen. I happened to agree with him. The first one I only saw some of it as it was way outside my area. Second one I saw and I think it's a definite foul, but I think I throw my P under the bus if I call it through traffic from the L and he's just 6 feet away and passed on it.

I did verbalize during a FT for players to "not be late on setting screens" and it cleared up. So that was good. lol
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

On offensive players leaving your primary to set a screen, this is absolutely your play to stay with. If the trail is officiating the ball, there is no way he sees the start, develop and finish of a screener... especially if he has a competitive matchup on the ball (which there will be 90% of the time).

You should talk about this as a crew during the pregame... but as lead, I think you can have a whistle on a post player setting a back screen (they usually happen at the elbow or just inside the 3 pt. arc).
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 11:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I did verbalize during a FT for players to "not be late on setting screens" and it cleared up. So that was good. lol
They listened? You da man!

VG game the other night we had FIVE lane violations during FT's! THREE on the same player. We tried to step in and give the infamous, "let it hit." To no avail apparently.

Maybe we just don't have that "court presence" like you Juggling!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
They listened? You da man!

VG game the other night we had FIVE lane violations during FT's! THREE on the same player. We tried to step in and give the infamous, "let it hit." To no avail apparently.

Maybe we just don't have that "court presence" like you Juggling!
Had a player last week continue setting screens with his legs sticking out as wide as he could comfortably get them. First time, nothing. Second time he trips the defender. Ended up getting him twice for it, but he didn't stop (only called it twice because the rest of the times there was either no contact or the contact was on the torso) before he fouled out anyway.