The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hurry up and Wait! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93059-hurry-up-wait.html)

The_Rookie Fri Nov 30, 2012 03:17am

Hurry up and Wait!

Had an ahhhh haaa moment tonight in boys JV....

STOP RUSHING...When I am Rushing instead of throttiling back, something can get messed up.

With the intentsity of games and all the hoopla..easy to get too pumped;)

jTheUmp Fri Nov 30, 2012 09:19am

A couple of maxims from some of the veterans I worked with in my first few seasons:

Hustle, but don't hurry.

Once you blow the whistle, you've got all the time in the world. The game can't start again until you're ready for it to start.

KJUmp Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 864186)
Had an ahhhh haaa moment tonight in boys JV....

STOP RUSHING...When I am Rushing instead of throttiling back, something can get messed up.

With the intentsity of games and all the hoopla..easy to get too pumped;)

True for any sport you officiate.
Year 5 starts for me next week, and I'd have to say it wasn't until last season that I honestly felt I wasn't rushing.
That said, it's still a part of my game that I try to work on all the time.
I live close to a D1 school in a mid-major conference. I have a mini season ticket plan that gets me to five games a year. Having the opportunity to see in live action how officials at that level take their time was a big help.

Andy Fri Nov 30, 2012 03:54pm

Piece of advice I received as a new official:

Slow Down!

When you think you are at about the right pace, slow down from there....

PG_Ref Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 864198)

Once you blow the whistle, you've got all the time in the world. The game can't start again until you're ready for it to start.

Unless your partner is a doofus who isn't making eye contact and puts the ball in play before you are ready.

stir22 Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 864323)
Piece of advice I received as a new official:

Slow Down!

When you think you are at about the right pace, slow down from there....

same here. i'm kind of manic by nature, and EVERYONE in my pool was telling me to slow down. Fifth year now, and asked for some input from a long time guy in our pool...he said..."slow down." Interestingly, I make it one of the "three" things to work on every game. I cannot imagine what I must have looked like those first couple of years.

tjones1 Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 864326)
same here. i'm kind of manic by nature, and EVERYONE in my pool was telling me to slow down. Fifth year now, and asked for some input from a long time guy in our pool...he said..."slow down." Interestingly, I make it one of the "three" things to work on every game. I cannot imagine what I must have looked like those first couple of years.

Me either! But, I'm thankful veteran officials took the time and gave me feedback to get better and I had the will to want to be better.

Scratch85 Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:42pm

This is odd but the striped shirt for the scorer has helped me slow down my reporting. It has made it much easier to stop, find my striped shirt, make sure he/she is looking me and then slowly state the color and number so they can understand.

It has always been a little disconcerting to look at the table and see six people staring back at me and me not having any idea which one is the official book. I invariably ended up looking the timer in the eyes and reporting.

grunewar Fri Nov 30, 2012 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 864328)
I'm thankful veteran officials took the time and gave me feedback to get better and I had the will to want to be better.

Agreed! While I still have much to learn, I am thankful to those who showed an interest in me and invested their time. I hope I can pay it back in spades!

BillyMac Fri Nov 30, 2012 06:39pm

For My Eyes Only ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 864334)
I invariably ended up looking the timer in the eyes and reporting.

If there's a hot, single woman at the table, that's where I'm looking, even if she's only there to sharpen pencils in case one of the scorekeepers breaks a pencil point. I believe that that's Mark Padgett's "Sixth Rule Of Officiating". For some reason, he seldom get past the "First Rule", which is why we seldom hear about his other "Rules".

APG Fri Nov 30, 2012 09:54pm

Come on now Billy

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 864324)
Unless your partner is a doofus who isn't making eye contact and puts the ball in play before you are ready.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 864334)
This is odd but the striped shirt for the scorer has helped me slow down my reporting. It has made it much easier to stop, find my striped shirt, make sure he/she is looking me and then slowly state the color and number so they can understand.

It has always been a little disconcerting to look at the table and see six people staring back at me and me not having any idea which one is the official book. I invariably ended up looking the timer in the eyes and reporting.

That's why you ask before the game. :)

Freddy Sat Dec 01, 2012 05:20pm

Can't remember where it came from, but...

Pregame tidbit passed along by someone that has stuck with us:
"Let's us not get caught up in their rat race."
Bad grammar, but good point.

PG_Ref Sat Dec 01, 2012 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 864324)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 864373)
Yeah, sorry about that.

LOL ... I've been that doofus before, a time or two ... but that was many, many moons ago. Learned my lesson.