The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   inbounding mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93043-inbounding-mechanics.html)

Camron Rust Wed Nov 28, 2012 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 863986)
I also inform the thrower-in that I'll be stepping away from him so don't follow me.

Yep...I do that too..."Stay there, I'll bounce it to you"

Adam Wed Nov 28, 2012 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 864000)
Yep...I do that too..."Stay there, I'll bounce it to you"

I've started using this recently. Before that, I don't remember players following me that frequently, but since adding this, I have fewer issues with that.

JRutledge Wed Nov 28, 2012 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 863909)
Exactly.

There are a lot of personal opinions in this area that are often pushed as the "right" way.

If an official can't keep the player from grabbing the ball no matter which hand you hold the ball in, they might want to visit the weight room a few times.

Or learn to blow the whistle. ;)

Either way it goes, I see these things as camp and evaluator issues than what really helps you officiate. It is like when people used to say when giving a 10 second count to give the count signal to the table. It really does not matter either way what you do, it is not going to change how things are done or understood.

Peace

DLH17 Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 863876)
For HS, the same as above.

Since you should step back to better see the play, and since you (usually) will be at an angle (+/- 45*) to the boundary line, the swinging arm will not interfere with the play.

+1

Looks cleaner in my opinion.

Sharpshooternes Thu Nov 29, 2012 01:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 864020)
+1

Looks cleaner in my opinion.

I had an evaluator tell me that you should actually be on the court when administering a a throw in so you get a better angle and view of the play. i agree with most everyone else about being further away is better. I feel like being out on the court can interfere with the play and decrease the view the boundary plane. Anybody else do this or have an opinion?

APG Thu Nov 29, 2012 01:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 864026)
I had an evaluator tell me that you should actually be on the court when administering a a throw in so you get a better angle and view of the play. i agree with most everyone else about being further away is better. I feel like being out on the court can interfere with the play and decrease the view the boundary plane. Anybody else do this or have an opinion?

Honestly, I'm not paying that close attention to the boundary plane...especially if there's sufficient space for the thrower. I'm more concerned about the action in the immediate area around the throw-in and while only keep the thrower and the person guarding the thrower in the corner of my vision.

Sharpshooternes Thu Nov 29, 2012 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 864027)
Honestly, I'm not paying that close attention to the boundary plane...especially if there's sufficient space for the thrower. I'm more concerned about the action in the immediate area around the throw-in and while only keep the thrower and the person guarding the thrower in the corner of my vision.

I like your thinking on this but what do you think about being on the court as opposed to being out of bounds?

Camron Rust Thu Nov 29, 2012 03:50am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 864028)
I like your thinking on this but what do you think about being on the court as opposed to being out of bounds?

Personally, I think it is dumb.

I've heard it taught too and it makes absolutely no sense. For every step you take onto the court or even towards the court, the less of your field of vision is on the court. I have no need to have the out of bounds area behind the thrower in my field of vision. I'd rather have the court and players in that field as much as possible.

There is simply very little that the thrower can do that you really need to see so why put your self in a position to best see the thrower.

If such a position were really a good idea, why are we, as trail, not trying to get in front of the play and look back through? It is essentially the same. We don't, of course. We trail the play and look through it at an angle such that we can see what else is going on elsewhere on the court...with a view looking from behind the player with the ball.

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 29, 2012 07:20am

Quote:

I feel the same way as you. As such, I would never do this; I stay out of the way at all times. In every case.

And I just don't see how being on the court gives you a better look.

APG Thu Nov 29, 2012 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 864028)

Don't care either way...most of the time I'm OOB but I've also found occasion where being a step onto the court has been beneficial to me along the sideline.

Raymond Thu Nov 29, 2012 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 864027)

If you ever go to CIAA camp DO NOT do this. That supervisor is insistant that the administering official only concern himself with the thrower-in, the boundary line, and the immediate defender.

Bad Zebra Thu Nov 29, 2012 09:29am

This whole topic is one of those areas that's not clearly defined in the Fed manual...thus you end up with clinicians and assigners insisting that their way is the best way to do it...further muddying the waters as to what is correct. Bottom line...I do whatever feels comfortable and gives me the best view of the floor. Closest arm up, hand across the body, step back, count with opposite hand. I've had exactly ONE partner question it in 12 years...and he has since disappeared from the ranks. Seems to me it's better to focus on getting a good view and understanding all that can go wrong on a throw in rather than how the ball gets made live.

grunewar Thu Nov 29, 2012 09:45am

I like it.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 864054)
This whole topic is one of those areas that's not clearly defined in the Fed manual...thus you end up with clinicians and assigners insisting that their way is the best way to do it...further muddying the waters as to what is correct. Bottom line...I do whatever feels comfortable and gives me the best view of the floor. Closest arm up, hand across the body, step back, count with opposite hand. I've had exactly ONE partner question it in 12 years...and he has since disappeared from the ranks. Seems to me it's better to focus on getting a good view and understanding all that can go wrong on a throw in rather than how the ball gets made live.

but, what are you trying to say here? :eek:

Bad Zebra Thu Nov 29, 2012 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 864055)
but, what are you trying to say here? :eek:

Just that he was worried about the wrong things and eventually washed out. (not that he dared to question me and I eliminated him :) I am after all...The Bad Zebra)

BillyMac Thu Nov 29, 2012 09:53am

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 864052)
That supervisor is insistent that the administering official only concern himself with the thrower-in, the boundary line, and the immediate defender.

No peeking at screens, and the possibility of illegal screens, in your primary coverage area? And no peeking at players in your primary coverage area pushing off to try to get open?