The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Concussion Question on State Test [MI]

A1 takes a hard fall and hits his/her head on the floor. He/She appears to be dazed and shows some signs consistent with a concussion. The officials should:
  1. Immediately direct that A1 be replaced
  2. Not allow A1 to reenter for the remainder of the game
  3. Allow A1 to remain in the game if a time out is taken
  4. Direct the head coach of TEAM A that A1 must have medical attention

I quickly removed B and C from possibilities and am left with A and D.

A is supported by rule 2.8.5 (Immediately remove a player from the game who exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion as in 3-3-8.)

D is supported by rule 3.3.8 (An player who exhibits sign, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion [...] shall be immediately removed from the game and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health care professional.)

I am thinking it is A because of the "must have medical attention" portion. We've been instructed in our area to communicate our concern, but put no requirement on the coach as to how he has to handle the potential concussed player.

Any other thoughts?

Btw, first time poster, try not to be too hard.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:38pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauzer714 View Post
A1 takes a hard fall and hits his/her head on the floor. He/She appears to be dazed and shows some signs consistent with a concussion. The officials should:
  1. Immediately direct that A1 be replaced
  2. Not allow A1 to reenter for the remainder of the game
  3. Allow A1 to remain in the game if a time out is taken
  4. Direct the head coach of TEAM A that A1 must have medical attention

I quickly removed B and C from possibilities and am left with A and D.

A is supported by rule 2.8.5 (Immediately remove a player from the game who exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion as in 3-3-8.)

D is supported by rule 3.3.8 (An player who exhibits sign, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion [...] shall be immediately removed from the game and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health care professional.)

I am thinking it is A because of the "must have medical attention" portion. We've been instructed in our area to communicate our concern, but put no requirement on the coach as to how he has to handle the potential concussed player.

Any other thoughts?

Btw, first time poster, try not to be too hard.
D is, in Michigan anyway, incorrect. It's not up to the official to direct that medical attention is needed. According to MHSAA protocol (cf. prev. thread on topic wherein entire protocol was included), that's the role of the authorized health care personnel--the coach, the trainer, a team physicial, an administrator, whomever the team considers such.
Refer to the MHSAA website the state protocol. It's slightly more specific than NFHS.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Consitution State ...

We, here in Connecticut, we have been instructed never to use the "C" word with a coach. It's not, "Hey coach, I think that your player has a concussion", rather, it's, "Hey coach, your player looks dazed".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

A.
Richland, WA