The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

www.whistleshare.com

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a website with everyone. It is a social media site for only officials and it is designed for user-supplied video clips of plays and situations. It is completely free and will allow users to upload their plays, comment on videos, search through the archived categories of videos and interact with fellow officials by adding them to a friends (or partners - as basketball officials commonly refer to each other as) list. The website is:

Share. Interact. Get Better.|Whistleshare

Enjoy.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

So, I didn't get an email and you have no way to request that it be resent.

BTW, since you offer a website to post video, discuss plays and ask questions, wouldn't that put you in direct competition with this site??????

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Not the first time there have been links advertised on this forum that are in direct competition with this site/forum. Won't be the last.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't recall any that weren't deleted.

Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Actually the site does not really compete with this site at all. All they do is house a place where videos can be shown. I am not aware of an equivalent discussion board or even a place where they produce information in the same way. We did have a few people that frequent this board advertise this their site which was practically in direct competition with this site and no one did anything. I think it is a little overreaction to suggest this is out of bounds when the site does almost nothing that we do here. It is more of a YouTube for basketball officials.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Yep, and this site was once called ereferee.com. Referee magazine sued and Brad was forced to change the name. And those two sites had NOTHING in common. BTW, I've never subscribed to Referee again.

It's Brad's call but personally, I wouldn't allow another website to advertise on my website.

JMHO. You're entitled to yours.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 10:05am.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 03:48am
Do not give a damn!!

I am really not debating whether it should be allowed, just pointing out there was a similar site link given by people that come here with almost no complaining or deletion of any of that site's information. You are right, it is the call of Brad ultimately to allow either way.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 08:16am
Stop staring at me swan.

We are allowing the post as long as the poster also contributes positively to the site. If the poster just advertises, with no other posts of substance, then he/she will be blocked & banned. Readers, contributors, please keep us posted. Thank you to those to reported this post. We all work together to keep this a great site.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:44pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

The moderators asked me about this and I said I really didn't care.... If we have someone coming along posting ads all the time, that is another story.

Of course, I'm not sure that registering on a discussion board and having your first post be "Come check out this other site!" is the best way to approach a long-standing community

A lot of these sites have come and gone over the year —*meanwhile, this site has stayed consistent. I think that sometimes people underestimate the amount of work it is and overestimate the amount of money they will make!

And, yeah, BktBallRef —*that was a crazy experience. We won the domain arbitration, but then they sued us in federal court! When lawyers get involved you better have DEEP pockets, even if you believe you are in the right! (Note: They never "won" ... we settled because the road ahead was going to be long and expensive!!)
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
And, yeah, BktBallRef —*that was a crazy experience. We won the domain arbitration, but then they sued us in federal court! When lawyers get involved you better have DEEP pockets, even if you believe you are in the right! (Note: They never "won" ... we settled because the road ahead was going to be long and expensive!!)
Never cared for them anyway...that just sealed the deal.

Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

WhistleShare is in no way in competition with officiating.com. WhistleShare is a website developed for video analysis and way for officials to get better through discussion and video sharing. My intention in posting was not to drive people away from this site, but rather supply a new avenue to better the avocation that we all love. Take care and I wish you all the best in the upcoming season.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistleShare View Post
WhistleShare is in no way in competition with officiating.com. WhistleShare is a website developed for video analysis and way for officials to get better through discussion and video sharing. My intention in posting was not to drive people away from this site, but rather supply a new avenue to better the avocation that we all love. Take care and I wish you all the best in the upcoming season.
My question -- you created this account to advertise your site.

Do you have any intention of using this account to contribute to THIS site?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My question -- you created this account to advertise your site.

Do you have any intention of using this account to contribute to THIS site?
The evidence seems clear on this question.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you guys did the research, you would realize that the site just hosts videos from officials of their games or games they have tape of. I seriously doubt that that is going to compete with this site on any level. For one this website does not host videos and you can post videos there and send them here or any number of places for review or discussion. Not the same thing as what this site does. It is not much different than YouTube but for basketball officials (very specific).

I guess that could change one day, but does not seem to be the focus.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 01:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you guys did the research, you would realize that the site just hosts videos from officials of their games or games they have tape of. I seriously doubt that that is going to compete with this site on any level. For one this website does not host videos and you can post videos there and send them here or any number of places for review or discussion. Not the same thing as what this site does. It is not much different than YouTube but for basketball officials (very specific).

I guess that could change one day, but does not seem to be the focus.

Peace
That's not my point. Providing free advertising shouldn't be part of what this board provides -- unless the person doing the advertising is a contributing member of the board. Assuming whistleshare is an official, perhaps he/she could step in and be a contributing member and not just advertise for his/her site.

If not, there are banner ads and I'm sure Brad would be more than happy to sell one.