The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone heard about the possibility of the NCAA Men's rules committee revoking the proposed change to the shape of the free throw lane? As well has anyone been at a camp using the men's 3 person mechanics? I'm interested to know whether the camp is using "table side reporting" on fouls like the NCAA women's officials do or if they are still sending the calling official opposite the table as in past seasons?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref0909
Has anyone heard about the possibility of the NCAA Men's rules committee revoking the proposed change to the shape of the free throw lane?
It's been pushed back to at least the 2004-05 season (as has the change in the 3-point line distance).

I think the women can use the rule as an "experimental rule" this season.

Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

From what I've heard about going table side after calling a foul, it's going to be an option for the calling official. That way you don't have to get an earful after every foul if you don't want to. From the women's officials I've talked to, they actually like going table side because then you don't have to talk across the floor if you actually want to answer a coach. It will be interesting to see how many of the "old dogs" actually use the new mechanic. What scares me is that the NCAA is becoming more and more like the Non Basketball Association.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
From what I've heard about going table side after calling a foul, it's going to be an option for the calling official. That way you don't have to get an earful after every foul if you don't want to. From the women's officials I've talked to, they actually like going table side because then you don't have to talk across the floor if you actually want to answer a coach. It will be interesting to see how many of the "old dogs" actually use the new mechanic. What scares me is that the NCAA is becoming more and more like the Non Basketball Association.
What I've heard so far out of 1 camp is that it's not really "optional" - but the assignor running the camp did say if you know bad things are gonna happen (like after a T) stay opposite side. Of course pregame this.

Based on my experience at the camp I like it.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

It's been pushed back to at least the 2004-05 season (as has the change in the 3-point line distance).

I think the women can use the rule as an "experimental rule" this season.

I'm sure schools are going to love re-painting their floors between games.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Men will go table side. I like it.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2003, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

No matter how mch you think is is the Non Basketball Association the officiating mechanics used are there to make it easier for the officials.