The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Men's Rule change and mechanics questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/9263-ncaa-mens-rule-change-mechanics-questions.html)

ref0909 Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:11am

Has anyone heard about the possibility of the NCAA Men's rules committee revoking the proposed change to the shape of the free throw lane? As well has anyone been at a camp using the men's 3 person mechanics? I'm interested to know whether the camp is using "table side reporting" on fouls like the NCAA women's officials do or if they are still sending the calling official opposite the table as in past seasons?

bob jenkins Tue Jul 08, 2003 07:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref0909
Has anyone heard about the possibility of the NCAA Men's rules committee revoking the proposed change to the shape of the free throw lane?
It's been pushed back to at least the 2004-05 season (as has the change in the 3-point line distance).

I think the women can use the rule as an "experimental rule" this season.

whistleone Tue Jul 08, 2003 08:49am

From what I've heard about going table side after calling a foul, it's going to be an option for the calling official. That way you don't have to get an earful after every foul if you don't want to. From the women's officials I've talked to, they actually like going table side because then you don't have to talk across the floor if you actually want to answer a coach. It will be interesting to see how many of the "old dogs" actually use the new mechanic. What scares me is that the NCAA is becoming more and more like the Non Basketball Association.

Dan_ref Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by whistleone
From what I've heard about going table side after calling a foul, it's going to be an option for the calling official. That way you don't have to get an earful after every foul if you don't want to. From the women's officials I've talked to, they actually like going table side because then you don't have to talk across the floor if you actually want to answer a coach. It will be interesting to see how many of the "old dogs" actually use the new mechanic. What scares me is that the NCAA is becoming more and more like the Non Basketball Association.
What I've heard so far out of 1 camp is that it's not really "optional" - but the assignor running the camp did say if you know bad things are gonna happen (like after a T) stay opposite side. Of course pregame this.

Based on my experience at the camp I like it.

Mark Dexter Tue Jul 08, 2003 07:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins

It's been pushed back to at least the 2004-05 season (as has the change in the 3-point line distance).

I think the women can use the rule as an "experimental rule" this season.

I'm sure schools are going to love re-painting their floors between games.

Jeff Sarratt Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:24pm

Men will go table side. I like it.

Kelvin green Sun Jul 13, 2003 04:43am

No matter how mch you think is is the Non Basketball Association the officiating mechanics used are there to make it easier for the officials.