The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Screens (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92583-screens.html)

The_Rookie Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:07pm

Screens

A1 sets a screen on B1..and A1 is set and shoulder width apart but is taking her fists and pushing B1 in the back.

Do you have an illegal screen?

Freddy Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:12pm

Shut That Screen Door!

The wording of your question prompts several assumptions. Sounds to me this is a screen from behind (outside the visual field of the defender), and that the screener's stance (his/her feet) is about shoulder width apart right?

If so, then does 4-40-4 help answer your question?

As to the fists in the back of the defender, what might 4-40-1 (three words specifically) have to say about that?

BTW -- the question kinda sounds like you're relating that the distance between the screener and the defender is shoulder width apart. The phrase "shoulder width apart" refers to the stance of the one setting the screen, not the distance between players. Right?

The_Rookie Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddy (Post 857251)
the wording of your question prompts several assumptions. Sounds to me this is a screen from behind (outside the visual field of the defender), right?

If so, then does 4-40-4 help answer your question?

As to the fists in the back of the defender, what might 4-40-1 (three words specifically) have to say about that?

without contact...fists in back is contact

Freddy Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:27pm

Either/Or?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 857252)
without contact...fists in back is contact

Excellent!

And, if you don't get him/her with a foul for that illegal contact, what else could you call as a violation?

Adam Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:36pm

Seems to me the fists are irrelevant here. I see a lot of girls protect their chests with the fists when setting screens. And when a close screen is set, contact will often be made.

The only real issue is whether the push displaced the opponent.

BillyMac Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:44pm

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 857250)
Pushing.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8312/8...88cdcee1_m.jpg

Freddy Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 857255)

Or if the requirements of 4-40-4 were met, right?

Stat-Man Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 857255)
Seems to me the fists are irrelevant here. I see a lot of girls protect their chests with the fists when setting screens. And when a close screen is set, contact will often be made.

I"m not seeing it in the NFHS book (maybe it is in NCAA?) that a screener can protect one's self, provided the action is a recoil action and not a pushing action.

Or maybe that's a dreaded rule myth.

Adam Sat Oct 06, 2012 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 857258)
Or if the requirements of 4-40-4 were met, right?

I'm not with my book right now. Refresh me. Please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 857265)
I"m not seeing it in the NFHS book (maybe it is in NCAA?) that a screener can protect one's self, provided the action is a recoil action and not a pushing action.

Or maybe that's a dreaded rule myth.

What rule is being broken (assuming the player is not pushing or failing to give any applicable required time and distance)?

bob jenkins Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 857250)
A1 sets a screen on B1..and A1 is set and shoulder width apart but is taking her fists and pushing B1 in the back.

Do you have an illegal screen?

Did A1 "chuck" B1? OR, doi A1 "protect herself from contact"?

Sometimes, you need to officiate.

Freddy Sun Oct 07, 2012 06:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 857269)
I'm not with my book right now. Refresh me. Please

4-40-4: When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.