The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:23pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Help a rookie out.

In all instances both teams have 7 team fouls.

1. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball A1 shoves B1. There are no free throws awarded as team A still has team control.

2. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball B1 shoves A1. A1 is awarded bonus freethrows.

3. A1 attempts a shot and on the rebound A2 fouls B1. B1 is awarded bonus freethrows due to neither team having team control.

Am I correct?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post

1. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball A1 shoves B1. There are no free throws awarded as team A still has team control.
True. TC Foul on A1.

Quote:
2. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball B1 shoves A1. A1 is awarded bonus freethrows.
Yes, foul on B and in the bonus.

Quote:
3. A1 attempts a shot and on the rebound A2 fouls B1. B1 is awarded bonus freethrows due to neither team having team control.

Am I correct?
No TC on a try until possession. So yes you are correct on all of these.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:46pm

Thanks. Long time reader first time poster. I called my first "official" game the other night and my "senior partner" would not allow me to award bonus freethrows on the #3 the rebounding foul bc he said there was no team control. I thought I knew what I was talking about but he got me second guessing myself.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks. Long time reader first time poster. I called my first "official" game the other night and my "senior partner" would not allow me to award bonus freethrows on the #3 the rebounding foul bc he said there was no team control. I thought I knew what I was talking about but he got me second guessing myself.
Well that is what experience will do for you. And the more and more you work, the more and more confident you will get over what should be done. It is common to doubt yourself early on with rules you have not applied that much in your career.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 03:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
That's exactly why you WOULD shoot the bonus free throws...sounds like your senior partner was confused.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That's exactly why you WOULD shoot the bonus free throws...sounds like your senior partner was confused.
He could have had a brain fart. I had the same last year on a loose ball and signaled that we had bonus FTs to shoot. Then a partner came to me and reminded me the situation and saved the crew and me. It happens sometimes in unusual situations sometimes.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He could have had a brain fart. I had the same last year on a loose ball and signaled that we had bonus FTs to shoot. Then a partner came to me and reminded me the situation and saved the crew and me. It happens sometimes in unusual situations sometimes.

Peace
Unusual situations (loose ball stuff), sure. But rebounding fouls should be (I know, I know) basic.

I wonder, though, if jeremy didn't just type it wrong and his veteran partner thought there was team control.

Or, and this is just a thought, A1 was able to control the rebound before fouling B1 (not likely, but possible.) This would make it a PC foul.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unusual situations (loose ball stuff), sure. But rebounding fouls should be (I know, I know) basic.

I wonder, though, if jeremy didn't just type it wrong and his veteran partner thought there was team control.

Or, and this is just a thought, A1 was able to control the rebound before fouling B1 (not likely, but possible.) This would make it a PC foul.
All I was trying to say was that we have mental lapses from time to time. It could be that one of the officials was not thinking and questioned what they should do.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
All I was trying to say was that we have mental lapses from time to time. It could be that one of the officials was not thinking and questioned what they should do.

Peace
Agreed, and this is the time of year where a lot of officials are shaking off the rust.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In The Navy ...

Quote:
Agreed, and this is the time of year where a lot of officials are shaking off the rust.
Shake? I need more than that, maybe some Naval Jelly would help?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 06:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe some Rust-eze?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Am I correct?
In 1 and 2, the shove could also be an intentional or flagrant foul, then you would have 2 free throws and a possible ejection if flagrant.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 09:05am

Quote:

No I didn't type it wrong. It was just your garden variety rebounding foul with no possession yet. I knew it was basic, I've seen it a million times during my time playing, watching, and coaching. He was just so "sure of himself" tha he got me second guessing myself.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 09:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
In 1 and 2, the shove could also be an intentional or flagrant foul, then you would have 2 free throws and a possible ejection if flagrant.
Yeah I worded that poorly. I should have used another term to mean a common foul. Guess that's why I teach Math and not English.