The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NF Rulebook App (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92452-nf-rulebook-app.html)

JRutledge Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:37pm

NF Rulebook App

Does anyone have any specific information about when the NF Basketball Rules App for the IPad for this season will be available?

I have the football app and I love it.

It seems like they took off last year's rulebook app off of ITunes so it must be close. I just wondering if they announced a specific date.

Peace

superump Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:11pm

I was wondering the same thing, I got the app last year and really liked it!

rekent Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:18pm

My question is why can they not just update the Rules App since it is 99% the same instead of requiring a re-buy?

BktBallRef Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:30pm

It's been available since November 6th for anyone that still wants it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 862654)
My question is why can they not just update the Rules App since it is 99% the same instead of requiring a re-buy?

Do you really not know the answer to that question?

Adam Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:42pm

Quote:

Oh, they could.

But why should they?

rekent Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 862656)
... Do you really not know the answer to that question?

Well yea, they want more money... But still, I like free updates! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 862658)
... But why should they?

Because unlike the print versions, it costs them virtually nothing!

APG Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:01pm

Quote:

Couldn't you just skip this year's app and use last year's one, since in your words, the rules are "99% the same" as last year's?

Adam Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 862660)
Well yea, they want more money... But still, I like free updates! :D

Because unlike the print versions, it costs them virtually nothing!

The print version wasn't sold at cost, either. :)

rekent Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 862661)
Couldn't you just skip this year's app and use last year's one, since in your words, the rules are "99% the same" as last year's?

Am I mistaken on that one? The case book will have new cases, but for the rules themselves aren't the only changes this year requiring the official scorer to be in stripes, an alteration to the official's jurisdiction article, and fixing the team control foul definition to include throw-ins?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 862662)
The print version wasn't sold at cost, either. :)

They could be nice this year...

Rich Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 862663)
Am I mistaken on that one? The case book will have new cases, but for the rules themselves aren't the only changes this year requiring the official scorer to be in stripes, an alteration to the official's jurisdiction article, and fixing the team control foul definition to include throw-ins?

They could be nice this year...

Why should they?

It's a business. I have no problem spending $6 for the app each season. You know, they do pay us to work games (at least most of us).

BillyMac Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:28am

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 862658)
Oh, they could. But why should they?

They should, because they could, and they can, but they won't.

Welpe Mon Nov 19, 2012 09:17am

There is a lot of work that goes into creating an app that not only works, but works well and has as much functionality as the NFHS ones do. To think there are no costs involved is...naive thinking.

renoref Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34am

Opened my new 2012-13 rules book only to find pages 33-64 missing. Went online and found wonderful app for wife's Ipad. This is a partial address;sorry but couldn't get the link through firewall. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/...b...id574856340?mt... )

Rich Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 862686)
There is a lot of work that goes into creating an app that not only works, but works well and has as much functionality as the NFHS ones do. To think there are no costs involved is...naive thinking.

The indexing, cross-referencing, and search capabilities are well worth the $6 a year. Then again, some officials are the cheapest people I've ever met. I know this just looking at the condition of their uniforms and jackets.

rekent Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 862686)

I absolutely agree... with the first sentence. The original app last year took a lot of work I'm sure, but the revision this year would have taken an infinitesimal amount of time and effort.