The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Length of Quarters (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/924-length-quarters.html)

Jerry Baldwin Tue Sep 19, 2000 03:56pm

Just reading the rule book when I came across Rule 5-5-2 describing the length of quarters. In Arkansas we play 8 minute quarters for high school senior games, 7 minute quarters for junior varsity games by mutual consent of coaches and 6 minute quarters for ninth grade games or junior high varsity games. Usually we play 5 minute quarters for 7th & 8th grade games. Article 2 of the above rule would seem to be saying the 9th grade games may be 8 minute quarters. The first sentence says "games involving only students below the ninth grade shall be played in six-minute quarters." Which would seem to be 7th & 8th grade games. The problem: 4 games are usually played back to back, 7G/7B/8G/8B, which adds quite a bit of time to the games and our game fees are usually based on the number of minutes played per quarter. I can just hear some coach wanting to play 8 minute quarters cause he's got 25 kids on the bench and one 9th grader on the squad. Anyone else doing length of quarters differently? We usually have a three game night with a junior game to start and two senior varsity games following. I have never read this rule in the manner I am reading it now.

Tim Roden Tue Sep 19, 2000 04:38pm

The length of quarters,while set by the rule book as 6 for JH and 8 for HS is not always standard. Different leagues do it differently. I've called JV games that were 6 minutes and 8 minute JH games. Look to the league for direction.

mick Tue Sep 19, 2000 07:23pm

Length of Quarters

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
Just reading the rule book when I came across Rule 5-5-2 describing the length of quarters. In Arkansas we play 8 minute quarters for high school senior games, 7 minute quarters for junior varsity games by mutual consent of coaches and 6 minute quarters for ninth grade games or junior high varsity games. Usually we play 5 minute quarters for 7th & 8th grade games. Article 2 of the above rule would seem to be saying the 9th grade games may be 8 minute quarters. The first sentence says "games involving only students below the ninth grade shall be played in six-minute quarters." Which would seem to be 7th & 8th grade games. The problem: 4 games are usually played back to back, 7G/7B/8G/8B, which adds quite a bit of time to the games and our game fees are usually based on the number of minutes played per quarter. I can just hear some coach wanting to play 8 minute quarters cause he's got 25 kids on the bench and one 9th grader on the squad. Anyone else doing length of quarters differently? We usually have a three game night with a junior game to start and two senior varsity games following. I have never read this rule in the manner I am reading it now.
Jerry,
In Michigan, we run 6 minute Jr.High qtrs. and 8 minute qtrs for frosh to varsity. With your per night schedule, I can see why you don't run full times.
That may be why Michigan runs a split season of Girls, then Boys.
mick

Brian Watson Wed Sep 20, 2000 08:31am

The BBall rules don't allow for as many of the "state adoption" rules as say track does, but, I think the time is kind of decided upon by the state assoc. or left up to the leagues with the rule book as a guide. Here most V are 8, JV are 7, and everything else is 6. I have even done games that were such blow-outs the coaches cut the 4th quarter in half.

Camron Rust Wed Sep 20, 2000 11:25am

In Portland, Oregon, all V, JV, and Soph., and Fresh. games are 8 minute quarters. Games that are 7th/8th grade vary depending on league...either 7 or 8 minutes. I don't think anyone but the little kids do 6 minutes.

hoopsrefBC Wed Sep 20, 2000 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin

WOW a game with a six minute quarter!!, now understand i live in another country.Canada.British Columbia to be more specific. In our province our seniors play 4-10miute quarters and our junior play 4-8minute quarters. I have never seen a game played with less then 8 minute quarters. If you don't mind me asking what kind of pay to you get for thoses types of games.

Thanks
SH

Brian Watson Wed Sep 20, 2000 02:31pm

Last year the MS games were paying $55 - $60 for two games. For single games it was anywhere from 25 to 30 bucks which would have been $3000-$5000 canadian (sorry I couldn't resist, eh?)

mick Wed Sep 20, 2000 02:35pm

payday

WOW a game with a six minute quarter!!, now understand i live in another country.Canada.British Columbia to be more specific. In our province our seniors play 4-10miute quarters and our junior play 4-8minute quarters. I have never seen a game played with less then 8 minute quarters. If you don't mind me asking what kind of pay to you get for thoses types of games.

Thanks
SH [/B][/QUOTE]

7th and 8th grade: two games $33.00 6 min qtrs
Frosh,JV : one game $33.00 8 min qtrs
Varsity : one game $45.00 8 min qtrs

National Federation of State High School Associations establishes the length of quarters in Michigan.

mick

hoopsrefBC Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Watson
Last year the MS games were paying $55 - $60 for two games. For single games it was anywhere from 25 to 30 bucks which would have been $3000-$5000 canadian (sorry I couldn't resist, eh?)
Well at least you know that there is a difference. Most americans think that we still live in igloos and hunt seal. Thanks for the info.
SH

hoopsrefBC Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:21am

Re: payday

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

Thanks
SH

National Federation of State High School Associations establishes the length of quarters in Michigan.

Thanks MICK, i was kind of interested what they would pay for that length of time. That $16.50per game at that level, seems fair given the experience level of the officials doing the majority of those games. Your junior and varsity games pay alot better i see. For 8 minute quarters we only get $25 and for 10 minute senior games we get $30. However do you get a travel allowance for your games?

mick [/B][/QUOTE]

mick Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:50am

Re: Re: payday

Thanks MICK, i was kind of interested what they would pay for that length of time. That $16.50per game at that level, seems fair given the experience level of the officials doing the majority of those games. Your junior and varsity games pay alot better i see. For 8 minute quarters we only get $25 and for 10 minute senior games we get $30. However do you get a travel allowance for your games?

SH,
Along with that regular pay we usually get $0.20-$0.25 per mile for one (the farther/est) Driver. The assumption is that the "farthest" driver will pick up the nearer driver. So, a game 50 miles away would put $0.20 (or $0.25)x 50 x both ways (or $20,00 additional) on one person's check.

Re: lower pay for lower level - I still think you need to know more rules in the lower level games.

mick

Jerry Baldwin Thu Sep 21, 2000 05:20pm

In Arkansas we have a mix of games as well as pay scales. 7th & 8th grade games $15 per official per game. The problem is there are usually 4 games, so we use a 3 person crew and each person gets $60 for the 4 games and one of the officials is usually a rookie. JH is usually $20 per game per official and usually a 2 person crew, unless we are training a new official. SV is a 3 game night that may have a JH or JVB game prior to the VG/VB games, I only run a 3 person crew and this year we will get $180 to $195 for the 3 officials within 50 miles of farthest official. Outside that we tack on $20 travel or $210 for the night. Driver gets $80 the other 2 get $65 each. I know it's low pay but in Arkansas we still referee barefoot. :) Ha! Ha!

Art N Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:19pm

In Taxachusetts (MASS.) we still run a two man system in HS. Sub varsity pays @ $44 and varsity pays @ $60. We rarely do more than one game. If scheduled for a varsity game, we actually are not suppose to do any other games that day. Most games are Tues & Fridays. So , many of the sub varsity guys only get 2 or 3 games a week.

I also do Soccer...which pays the same, but you can do several 9th and some JV games solo. This pays a fee and half ($66). You can also do a game each day of the week and sometimes on Sat.

hoopsrefBC Fri Sep 22, 2000 02:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by Art N
In Taxachusetts (MASS.) we still run a two man system in HS. Sub varsity pays @ $44 and varsity pays @ $60. We rarely do more than one game. If scheduled for a varsity game, we actually are not suppose to do any other games that day. Most games are Tues & Fridays. So , many of the sub varsity guys only get 2 or 3 games a week.

I also do Soccer...which pays the same, but you can do several 9th and some JV games solo. This pays a fee and half ($66). You can also do a game each day of the week and sometimes on Sat.

I'M MOVING TO TAXACHUSETTS(MASS)!!$$60.00 for a varsity game, WOW. That is like $1000 canadian.:) The only difference is that you probably only do 30-50/year, where i am lucky if our allocator doesn't schedule me for less than 10 in a week. Last year, 140 games and i was sick for two weeks during regional and local playoffs.

Thanks

SH

Brian Watson Fri Sep 22, 2000 08:25am

If I had to do 140 a year I think I would get physically ill just looking at a basketball.