The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You Make The Call (again) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92061-you-make-call-again.html)

Adam Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39pm

You Make The Call (again)

A1 goes up for a breakaway dunk, but misses. He hangs for a moment as there's a defender nearby. But while he's up there, he continues to swat at the ball a.) while it's in the cylinder b.) after it exits the cylinder.

APG Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:50pm

Interesting...I think I'd have a.)basket interference and in b.)technical foul...

At least that would be my instinct if I had this in my game.

Raymond Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:51pm

IMO, once he starts making plays for the ball he no longer hanging on the rim for his safety.

Welpe Tue Jul 17, 2012 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 849323)
IMO, once he starts making plays for the ball he no longer hanging on the rim for his safety.

Agreed. In a) do we call the BI and tack on a technical as well, or just one or the other?

Adam Tue Jul 17, 2012 02:40pm

I was T, and blew the whistle for a T. We got together and decided to go with BI instead.

In hind sight, 10-3-4 justifies a T. While I don't hate the BI call, I think I would have preferred a T.

fiasco Tue Jul 17, 2012 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 849340)
I was T, and blew the whistle for a T. We got together and decided to go with BI instead.

In hind sight, 10-3-4 justifies a T. While I don't hate the BI call, I think I would have preferred a T.

This is a HTBT play for me. I'm not of the opinion that just because he began swatting at the ball, he was automatically out of danger in terms of returning to the floor, which is why I would have to see the situation to judge clearly. From your OP, it's no clear when he begins swatting at the ball if he is out of danger below him.

And, by swatting at the ball, do you mean he made contact with the ball?

If he's in danger with regards to players below him, and he never makes contact with the ball while swatting, I have nothing.

Nevadaref Tue Jul 17, 2012 06:40pm

Quote:

As soon as the ball ceased to be in contact with the player's hands, he must not make contact with it again while the ball is within the cylinder. If he does, that's BI.
If the the ball has left the cylinder, then he can't infringe upon 10-3-4 to make a play on it while holding onto the ring. If he does, then the technical foul occurs prior to his tap or try and the ball becomes dead, so no goal could be scored. While that outcome may essentially be the same as calling BI, it technically is not BI.
BTW I had a similar play in a Regional Semi-Final last season and T'd the 6-10 center for one of the teams. He missed a dunk and while still holding onto the ring tried to knock the ball into the basket. He made contact with the ball and the ball was out of the cylinder when he went after it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 849348)
This is a HTBT play for me. I'm not of the opinion that just because he began swatting at the ball, he was automatically out of danger in terms of returning to the floor, which is why I would have to see the situation to judge clearly. From your OP, it's no clear when he begins swatting at the ball if he is out of danger below him.

And, by swatting at the ball, do you mean he made contact with the ball?

If he's in danger with regards to players below him, and he never makes contact with the ball while swatting, I have nothing.

You are using an incorrect standard to judge this situation. You are trying to use whether he is still in danger at the time while you should be using whether the player is gaining or attempting to gain an unfair advantage.

The player is permitted to hang on the ring to protect himself from injury. However, that is all that he is allowed to do. He cannot take part in the game action while there. To do so, would be to gain an advantage from hanging on the ring and that infringes upon 10-3-4. He should be penalized as soon as he makes a play for the ball.

Adam Tue Jul 17, 2012 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 849361)
As soon as the ball ceased to be in contact with the player's hands, he must not make contact with it again while the ball is within the cylinder. If he does, that's BI.
If the the ball has left the cylinder, then he can't infringe upon 10-3-4 to make a play on it while holding onto the ring. If he does, then the technical foul occurs prior to his tap or try and the ball becomes dead, so no goal could be scored. While that outcome may essentially be the same as calling BI, it technically is not BI.
BTW I had a similar play in a Regional Semi-Final last season and T'd the 6-10 center for one of the teams. He missed a dunk and while still holding onto the ring tried to knock the ball into the basket. He made contact with the ball and the ball was out of the cylinder when he went after it.

Thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it.

Raymond Tue Jul 17, 2012 08:47pm

What I said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 849323)
IMO, once he starts making plays for the ball he is no longer hanging on the rim for his safety.

What I meant as eloquently stated by our resident lawyer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 849361)

You are using an incorrect standard to judge this situation. You are trying to use whether he is still in danger at the time while you should be using whether the player is gaining or attempting to gain an unfair advantage.

The player is permitted to hang on the ring to protect himself from injury. However, that is all that he is allowed to do. He cannot take part in the game action while there. To do so, would be to gain an advantage from hanging on the ring and that infringes upon 10-3-4. He should be penalized as soon as he makes a play for the ball.

BktBallRef Tue Jul 17, 2012 08:49pm

Quote:

Yep, it's a T in either situation.

JugglingReferee Wed Jul 18, 2012 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 849321)
A1 goes up for a breakaway dunk, but misses. He hangs for a moment as there's a defender nearby. But while he's up there, he continues to swat at the ball a.) while it's in the cylinder b.) after it exits the cylinder.

a) OBI
b) if there is a defender nearby preventing a safe landing, then nothing. If not, or if I think they're staying "up there" for an advantage, then a T. Though I don't really see the case where a defender would be that nearby for that long to affect a safe landing.

asdf Wed Jul 18, 2012 09:42am

Swatting at the ball while it's inside the cylinder in and of itself is not a violation. No contact, no violation.

That being said, once he swats at the ball, he's no longer grasping the rim for safety resons alone, a technical foul should be assessed. The location of the ball has no bearing.

Now, if he contacts the ball during this event, you may have BI depending on the location of the ball. No matter that outcome, you should have a technical foul as well.

JugglingReferee Wed Jul 18, 2012 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 849403)
Swatting at the ball while it's inside the cylinder in and of itself is not a violation. No contact, no violation.

That being said, once he swats at the ball, he's no longer grasping the rim for safety resons alone, a technical foul should be assessed. The location of the ball has no bearing.

Now, if he contacts the ball during this event, you may have BI depending on the location of the ball. No matter that outcome, you should have a technical foul as well.

Safety reasons alone? (My books are packed away for the summer...) Please cite a rule or case play.

JetMetFan Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 849404)
Safety reasons alone? (My books are packed away for the summer...) Please cite a rule or case play.

NFHS 10.3.3 Situation B is the closest we get...

Quote:

A1 jumps for a try near the basket but loses his/her balance after releasing the ball. A1 grasps the basket to prevent injury. The ball: (a) is; or (b) is not, in the basket or on the ring while A1 is hanging on the ring.

RULING: In (a), it is basket interference by A1 which causes the ball to become dead and no goal can be scored. In (b), there is no violation unless A1 is still hanging on the ring when the ball touches the basket or goes into the basket. In both (a) and (b), A1's grasping is not penalized if it is judged there was a possibility of injury had he/she not grasped the basket. (Rule 9, Section 1)

Adam Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 849404)

Gaining an advantage violates 10-3-4, for which there is no player safety exception.

The exception applies to 10-3-3.