The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   On the shot or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92035-shot-not.html)

tref Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 849096)
Now this term I used is used by many at higher levels. If is not your understanding again, I am OK with that feeling. But there are no rules that are specific to what a habitual motion entails. But it seems like you cannot make that motion until you start to gather the basketball in an attempt to shoot the basketball.

Peace

+1

I agree, when the ball is gathered below the FT line extended on a dribble drive to the basket & a foul by the defense is committed, they are shooting unless they pass or call timeout.

Lets look for a reason to put them on the line instead of looking for a reason to do the old "nice move kid now take it out & try again."

bainsey Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:18am

Accurate or not...?

"The NFHS continuation rule is exactly the same as that of the NBA."

JRutledge Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 849102)
Nitpicking for the newbies.

No taps? In thirteen games? Unless prehistoric rules are being used (that will get Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s attention), a player fouled in the act of tapping is treated the same as if he was fouled in the act of shooting, and is awarded free throws. No "gather" on a tap.

Yes, because they were all girl's basketball games. Girls tend to not tap the ball like boys do. They tend to grab the ball and throw the ball at the basket. I do not recall a single tap that you see in a boy's game for the most obvious reasons. They are not near the basket in height. And newbies need to understand that girls basketball is different than boys basketball and the actions in which a girl starts a shot is going to look different than a boy starting a shot. And often is the reason you have people once again say the most dreaded thing in basketball officiating, "On the floor....."

And yes we are not talking about a rebound, we are talking about a player going to the basket off a dribble or a pass. I have never seen a player do that without first gathering the ball. And gathering the ball does not just involve both hands and you never heard me suggest that such action involved both hands. Gather can and does involve one hand. And certainly did not see anything different this weekend.

Peace

tref Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 849116)
And often is the reason you have people once again say the most dreaded thing in basketball officiating, "On the floor....."

That phrase & the "wipe off" makes it tough for partners to offer info doesnt it :rolleyes:

Adam Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 849118)
That phrase & the "wipe off" makes it tough for partners to offer info doesnt it :rolleyes:

Offer info? How does that work?

tref Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 849130)
Offer info? How does that work?

The lack of a :D makes me think you're serious.

Adam Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 849131)
The lack of a :D makes me think you're serious.

Well, I don't always use a smiley, but when I do....

I was partly serious, but only on the specifics. I know how to offer info on plays where it's appropriate. Are you saying that you think a partner should offer info on whether a foul should result in free throws?

Are you talking about strictly double whistle scenarios?

tref Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 849132)
Well, I don't always use a smiley, but when I do....

I was partly serious, but only on the specifics. I know how to offer info on plays where it's appropriate. Are you saying that you think a partner should offer info on whether a foul should result in free throws?

Are you talking about strictly double whistle scenarios?

Uhh-Ohhh its Monday & I dont feel like smacked around by the forum after my long weekend so I'm gonna plead the 5th.

Adam Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 849135)
Uhh-Ohhh its Monday & I dont feel like smacked around by the forum after my long weekend so I'm gonna plead the 5th.

:D

Sorry, I was just looking for clarification on the sort of situation for which you'd offer assistance. No worries.

JRutledge Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 849135)

I think his question to you was fair. I was thinking something else when you made your comments initially, I now have more questions based on what you have stated since.

If I have ruled that the player was not "shooting" and you come in and tell me they were shooting on the foul, I would be a little puzzled.

Peace

tref Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 849138)
I think his question to you was fair. I was thinking something else when you made your comments initially, I now have more questions based on what you have stated since.

If I have ruled that the player was not "shooting" and you come in and tell me they were shooting on the foul, I would be a little puzzled.

Peace

Wow!

APG where you at, maybe they'll believe it if you explain it...

JRutledge Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 849141)
Wow!

APG where you at, maybe they'll believe it if you explain it...

Why don't you explain what you are talking about? I am trying to imagine what you are referencing but for some reason I am not imagining an example that fits.

Peace

tref Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 849147)
Why don't you explain what you are talking about? I am trying to imagine what you are referencing but for some reason I am not imagining an example that fits.

Peace

Why? As I said, it was a really long weekend, just got back from camp (9 games in 2.5 days, 105 degrees everyday) & I'm not really up for the 7-9 posters that like to jump me just because I share principles that they havent heard yet.

APG knows of many of the principles I speak of & for some reason when he says the same things I say, nobody says boo.

I'll just say it falls under team officiating & I know how the majority of the board feels about THAT. Quite honestly, you use the word "higher levels" so I really thought this was something you were aware of as it has been around for the last 3-4 years...

Scrapper1 Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 849150)
I'm not really up for the 7-9 posters that like to jump me just because I share principles that they havent heard yet.

I think what is being asked of you is simply to tell us the principle that you're discussing. Are you saying that you will offer information to a partner when you disagree with his/her ruling on whether the shooting motion had started? Is that the principle that you're sharing?

Nobody's jumping down your throat. We just don't really know what you're saying.

Scrapper1 Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 849068)
What would you have responded? I thought that my non-response was best, in this instance.

My standard response is "All he has to do is start the motion, Coach."