The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 Man PCA Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92019-3-man-pca-question.html)

Freddy Fri Jul 13, 2012 08:27pm

3 Man PCA Question

http://www.westsideref.com/westsider...agnetcase3.jpg

New 3-(hu)man newbies usually have one question regarding the PCA between C and T: "Why is it that T's area above the FT line goes across to C's lane line extended. Why not make it easy and just have C take everything on his half of the court? Why is it that T's area above the FT line goes across to C's lane line extended?" (OK, that's three questions, but you get the idea). I know what they mean, because they're thinking it's easier to remember, at first, that C or T has his side of the court when the ball is out top.

"Someone who knows a whole lot more than I do came up with it--just learn it," is one of my first responses, followed by one or two others.

What would your seasoned response be?

just another ref Fri Jul 13, 2012 09:17pm

I actually have very little seasoning in 3 man but my response is that these lines are not chiseled in stone and should be drawn with significant amounts of overlap.

Adam Sat Jul 14, 2012 02:37am

Maybe it's late, but did I miss something? Two-whistle lead has all the way to the opposite arc on the endline?

JRutledge Sat Jul 14, 2012 03:13am

The Center position is to watch off ball primarily. The Trail has the ball on their side and needs to stay with the ball. If the Center starts watching the ball in the middle of the court, you will have two officials potentially watching the ball unnecessarily. Splitting the court in half would not necessarily make it "easier" when the Center would be wondering when the ball is in their area. And when the ball crosses the FT line extended on the Center's side, it is usually when the Lead should have a rotation or a potential rotation.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Jul 14, 2012 03:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 848945)
I actually have very little seasoning in 3 man but my response is that these lines are not chiseled in stone and should be drawn with significant amounts of overlap.

Not for primary coverage. This does not mean there is no secondary coverage or things you can see and call in your secondary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 848951)
Maybe it's late, but did I miss something? Two-whistle lead has all the way to the opposite arc on the endline?

Yes that is not the primary coverage that most follow.

Peace

Nevadaref Sat Jul 14, 2012 04:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 848952)
The Center position is to watch off ball primarily. The Trail has the ball on their side and needs to stay with the ball. If the Center starts watching the ball in the middle of the court, you will have two officials potentially watching the ball unnecessarily. Splitting the court in half would not necessarily make it "easier" when the Center would be wondering when the ball is in their area. And when the ball crosses the FT line extended on the Center's side, it is usually when the Lead should have a rotation or a potential rotation.

This is a good answer. I'll add a further example to it. The far/near lane line split of the PCAs between C & T allows the C to focus on the rough play in the lane, which the NFHS and NCAA constantly state to clean up. Specifically, the C is looking at the screens, the post match-ups, the rebounding position battles, etc. on his side of the court, while the T is able to observe the ball up top. The Lead is doing exactly what the C is doing, but on his side of the court.

The above quote also makes the excellent point that we don't want an instant rotation as the ball crosses the vertical middle of the court. That would make the Lead bounce around like a pinball! We need to allow the ball to penetrate into the C's area and using the far lane line (from the Lead) makes it clear when the rotation should occur.

BillyMac Sat Jul 14, 2012 05:39am

Move To Improve ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 848951)

IAABO (two person) calls it "Dual Coverage". Lead can offer strong side help when necessary.

Freddy Sun Jul 15, 2012 04:41pm

We Have A Winner!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 848954)
This is a good answer. I'll add a further example to it. The far/near lane line split of the PCAs between C & T allows the C to focus on the rough play in the lane, which the NFHS and NCAA constantly state to clean up. Specifically, the C is looking at the screens, the post match-ups, the rebounding position battles, etc. on his side of the court, while the T is able to observe the ball up top. The Lead is doing exactly what the C is doing, but on his side of the court.

The above quote also makes the excellent point that we don't want an instant rotation as the ball crosses the vertical middle of the court. That would make the Lead bounce around like a pinball! We need to allow the ball to penetrate into the C's area and using the far lane line (from the Lead) makes it clear when the rotation should occur.

NevRef gets my vote for the best, most reasonable, clearest answer to the 3-(hu)man newbie question. Rut's response, to which NR refers in his post, is either a close second or good enough for a tie.
Thanx, guys! Well stated. Credit will be given when quoted.

(Just Another Ref - - might wanna shrink that overlap in your pregame crew conference.) :)

26 Year Gap Sun Jul 15, 2012 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 849061)
NevRef gets my vote for the best, most reasonable, clearest answer to the 3-(hu)man newbie question. Rut's response, to which NR refers in his post, is either a close second or good enough for a tie.
Thanx, guys! Well stated. Credit will be given when quoted.

(Just Another Ref - - might wanna shrink that overlap in your pregame crew conference.) :)

You mean he should tighten his belt?:D

just another ref Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43am

Pregame what?:D

just another ref Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51am

My point about overlap is not to let concern about the exact edges of the primary overshadow the necessity to step in and make a call. Spoken from experience.

rockyroad Mon Jul 16, 2012 01:10pm

And those PCA's are really for on-ball coverage. I always tell my partners that if they see something off-ball that needs to be called, go get it - who cares about imaginary lines when there is crap that needs to be cleaned up.

Freddy Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:24pm

But I Think I See What You Mean

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 849200)
And those PCA's are really for on-ball coverage. I always tell my partners that if they see something off-ball that needs to be called, go get it - who cares about imaginary lines when there is crap that needs to be cleaned up.

A. Those PCA's are for off-ball coverage as well (see C. below)

B. That "something off-ball that needs to be called" doesn't need someone to "go and get it" when, it's right there in a partner's PCA. Of course, wider court awareness will, hopefully, catch any of those "crew saver" calls that have to be made, as infrequent as they are

C. There always seems be a lot less "crap that needs to be cleaned up" when off-ball surveillance is good and off-ball fouls are called when they occur

D. "Imaginary lines"? They seem pretty definitive to me. Though for sure, if it needs to be called and it's "over your PCA line", I trust you're gonna get it. That's just good crew cohesiveness.

JRutledge Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 849683)
A. Those PCA's are for off-ball coverage as well (see C. below)

B. That "something off-ball that needs to be called" doesn't need someone to "go and get it" when, it's right there in a partner's PCA. Of course, wider court awareness will, hopefully, catch any of those "crew saver" calls that have to be made, as infrequent as they are

C. There always seems be a lot less "crap that needs to be cleaned up" when off-ball surveillance is good and off-ball fouls are called when they occur

D. "Imaginary lines"? They seem pretty definitive to me. Though for sure, if it needs to be called and it's "over your PCA line", I trust you're gonna get it. That's just good crew cohesiveness.

The PCA is still mostly for on ball situations. If there are no competitive matchups in your primary, you can go outside to help or assist in plays and often have to go outside to get those kinds of situations called. The on-ball official often is not going to see screens or rebounding situations the way the other two officials have the potential to do. Heck the C in many situations calls things that is not in their coverage area. And if they only define their calls to what is in their primary then we will miss a lot of stuff as a crew in a particular game.

Peace

Freddy Mon Jul 23, 2012 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 849686)
The PCA is still mostly for on ball situations. If there are no competitive matchups in your primary, you can go outside to help or assist in plays and often have to go outside to get those kinds of situations called. The on-ball official often is not going to see screens or rebounding situations the way the other two officials have the potential to do. Heck the C in many situations calls things that is not in their coverage area. And if they only define their calls to what is in their primary then we will miss a lot of stuff as a crew in a particular game. Peace

Well stated, my friend across the big pond!
I guess what I'm sensitive about is this tendancy I've observed, which I may have mentioned before: the pregame advice "Everyone call what's in your primary", though understood properly, means to some that they're gonna ball-watch all over the court, just not make a call they see in a partner's primary. No off-ball coverage is accomplished and shenanigans (sp?) off-ball get out of hand and pretty soon there's all kindsa "crap" to have to clean up.
To counter that, we're continuing to ask the pregame question, "How will we know you're turning off-ball when the ball passes out of your primary?" This, intending to give emphasis to off-ball surveillance, includes what Rut says and the aforementioned "crew-saver" concern states previously.
I thank you all for the opportunity to give attention to this matter. :)
What else is there to do for twelve hours each day at work? :o