The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Unusual stuff (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/91997-unusual-stuff.html)

bainsey Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34pm

Unusual stuff

Ever have one of those nights where the not-so-everyday stuff seems to take over? Girls' JV off-season, pretty light atmosphere, three games tonight, we had...

*Correctable error, failure to award free throws on a 7th foul. (Caught on the 8th foul, possession never changed.) I've only had two correctable errors in seven years, both times with the same partner. Yes, coincidence.
*Six players on the court (the one time I don't count).
*Held ball changed to a violation: Scramble on the floor, A-1 pinned the ball between her hands, B-2 had the ball squeezed between her legs. Whistle, thumbs up, pause, wait a minute, violation blue. Never actually had that one before.
*Bumped into a coach while administering a throw-in...
Coach: "Come on, there isn't room for two fat guys on this sideline."
Me: "Who's the other one?"

BillyMac Wed Jul 11, 2012 06:09am

That's Why They Call It The Blues ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 848727)
Scramble on the floor, A-1 pinned the ball between her hands, B-2 had the ball squeezed between her legs. Whistle, thumbs up, pause, wait a minute, violation blue.

I agree that this is not a held ball. Why is it a blue violation?

Raymond Wed Jul 11, 2012 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 848739)
I agree that this is not a held ball. Why is it a blue violation?

Kicked Ball.

tref Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:38am

Quote:

Ever have one of those nights where the not-so-everyday stuff seems to take over?

Girls' JV off-season

:D

Quote:

*Correctable error, failure to award free throws on a 7th foul. (Caught on the 8th foul, possession never changed.) I've only had two correctable errors in seven years, both times with the same partner. Yes, coincidence.

The fouls didnt show on the summer board? Or was there a 7 up there & nobody picked it up?

Quote:

*Six players on the court (the one time I don't count).

Whenever I dont do what I'm supposed to do (this time of year) it always pays me back. Funny how that works...

bainsey Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 848752)
The fouls didnt show on the summer board? Or was there a 7 up there & nobody picked it up?

The latter. The kid running the scoreboard tried to alert us. Stupid summer keep-it-going mechanics. One coach -- well-renowned in these parts -- had a good laugh as we went through the correctable motions.

tref Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:59am

Ahh, thats unfortunate :( At least you know where you went wrong though, easy fix.
For some reason I found myself not communicating the bonus on the 6th foul last night too.

Raymond Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10am

tref, check your PMs.

rwest Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:15pm

Intent is required

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 848748)
Kicked Ball.

If the ball squeezed through B1's legs it is not a violation, unless B1 intentionally was squeezing the ball with said legs.

bainsey Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest (Post 848769)
If the ball squeezed through B1's legs it is not a violation, unless B1 intentionally was squeezing the ball with said legs.

She was.

Raymond Wed Jul 11, 2012 01:19pm

Quote:

"...B-2 had the ball squeezed between her legs. I don't see that as an accidental act.

APG Wed Jul 11, 2012 03:20pm

Quote:

I don't know how the ball would get stuck between a player's leg but by an intentional act.

BillyMac Wed Jul 11, 2012 07:11pm

Depends ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 848774)
I don't see that as an accidental act.

Probably doing Kegel exercises, to regain bladder control and help with urinary incontinence.

johnny d Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:03pm

sure billy, either that or getting ready for her date that night

BillyMac Thu Jul 12, 2012 06:17am

Filling In For Johnny Tonight Is ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 848811)
sure billy, either that or getting ready for her date that night

Hey johnny d. Thanks for trying, but Mark Padgett is back. Cool it.

bainsey Thu Jul 12, 2012 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 848821)
Hey johnny d. Thanks for trying, but Mark Padgett is back. Cool it.

Not to mention the fact that these are JV girls. Not cool.