The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Play for Discussion No Call or Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/91817-play-discussion-no-call-foul.html)

APG Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03pm

Play for Discussion No Call or Foul

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/laJ5NWBopzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigBaldGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:07pm

Not the best camera angle...I have one question...where is the center going to officiate?

JetMetFan Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:11pm

Foul

I would've been willing to let Blue #1 get away with it if his elbow hadn't come up. It looked like that's what sent the defender flying.

JRutledge Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:19pm

I am not convinced either way. We cannot see who was in position for the ball. Just because the defender goes flying does not mean he was fouled. It looked like a loose ball and they came together. The elbow I would need to see a closer angle or a different angle to judge if that was even a factor. I do not think that would have knocked down the player with just that elbow. And if he was, that kid needs to get in the weight room.

Peace

rwest Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:20pm

Foul!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 846873)
I would've been willing to let Blue #1 get away with it if his elbow hadn't come up. It looked like that's what sent the defender flying.

I would be ok with the C getting this. It is not in his PCA, but the Lead had a competitive match up right in front of him. When the pass occurred he looked to have been blocked. C needs to get this in my opinion.

jeschmit Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:35pm

I got nothing here. If you watch the defender's path it never really varies from where he would have gone if he never would have fell down. If he was pushed by the offensive player, then his path would have most likely changed. With seeing the defender's slide be on the same line as his steps prior to contact, I got no call here.

Ugly, but no call.

rwest Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:39pm

Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 846879)
I got nothing here. If you watch the defender's path it never really varies from where he would have gone if he never would have fell down. If he was pushed by the offensive player, then his path would have most likely changed. With seeing the defender's slide be on the same line as his steps prior to contact, I got no call here.

Ugly, but no call.

You believe the defender would have ended up on the end-line if there was no contact? The contact occurred about 3 feet below the free throw line and he ended up on the end line. He went at least 10 to 12 feet. He would not have ended up there without the contact and he wasn't falling until contact was made.

Maineac Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:40pm

I have nothing. Two guys going for a loose ball. Agree on the "ugly" part.

Raymond Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:49pm

From this angle I can't see the amount of contact, if any, from A1's arm to B1's torso. It also appears just as likely that B1 tripped from tangling feet with A1.

bainsey Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:49pm

Nothing, as well.

Not a charge: 1 Blue was playing the ball without an outstretched limb touching 22 White, and 22 White had nothing resembling LGP.

Not a block: The contact simply didn't hinder 1 Blue.

Adam Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 846882)

That's what I had, but I can't tell if the offense pushes from this angle with this resolution. From what I can see, two players go for the ball with equally advantageous positions. This happens regularly, and it's not a foul.

Camron Rust Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:05pm

IF anything, I have a foul on white 22 (the defender, "B").

This was not a loose ball play, it was a pass directly form one player to another.

The first contact was the B22 going through the offense to try to get to the pass. B22 also wasn't anywhere near LGP when the two came together. He was trying to guard a moving opponent without the ball and is required to be in the path and facing the opponent giving time and distance for the opponent to stop or change directions. He didn't. He was never facing the opponent at any time. He was just coming into the path at the time of contact and went partially over/through the blue player. He failed to meet the requirements of LGP in several ways. Just because you're going for the ball doesn't absolve you from meeting the requirements of guarding.

Given that this is how the play started, I'd have absolutely nothing on the elbow unless it were intentional....and it if was, I'd still get the first foul to go with it. I think the elbow was merely a reflex to getting run into, not a positive act.

And the bolded "IF" above is intended to mean that I'd likely let the shooter play on and score since he secured the ball in an advantageous position. If he had lost the ball instead, it would be a foul.

ballgame99 Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 846882)

+1 what he said.

Welpe Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:33pm

Agree with Camron. If anything I have a blocking foul on the defender but since he did not disadvantage the offensive player, I have nothing.

BillyMac Thu Jun 21, 2012 05:27pm

Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezy ...

Player control foul on Blue #1.